How to fit a 10" rim on an ST185

lumbercis

Hi all!

Checking out Landon's super-awesome setup in the wheel thread got me thinking: what would it take to fit a 10" wide rim on a widebody st185?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1327&start=525
From that thread, Landon's specs were 18x9.5 et35 w/25mm spacer in the rear on 255's. So an effective ET of +10 in the rear.

Some additional info from the very first post of the wheel thread back in '04:

TEST DATA
What we know fits on the front:
17x9 +30

What we know fits on the rear:
17x10 +5 (sticks out slightly but has 12.5mm of clearance on the inside)

The max we've seen on the rear so far is 130mm on the inside and 120mm on the outside.
This means a 10 inch wide wheel should fit with an ideal offset of +10 or +12.

So obviously we are talking coilovers and rolled/cut fenders at a minimum. Obviously the rear could handle a 10" no problem, but how much fender pulling would be necessary to squeeze a 10" on the front? What's the minimum safe clearance on the inside? Is it commonly the rim that tries to touch the suspension, or the tire?

To forstall any OT chatter, I'm not asking whether this is a good idea, or whether you would do it. There's no good performance reason to go that wide. It would strictly be for appearance or just to say you did it. That's why I posted in the Exterior forum, and not the Handling forum.

Thoughts?

J.

Landon

i like this idea. from what i'm running, depending on what tire size you run will determine if you can go that wide. i'm pretty sure with my setup, if i put a 10in wheel in instead of the 9.5's it would fit fine. or even it you get a tire that is flush with the 10in wheel you would prolly be ok. i'll see if i can find some more solid clearances for this thread if that would help.

magnum

I think the widest tire you could fit in the wheel wells would be a 265. But then that's going to be a tall tire. 265/40r17 are 25.3" tall and 265/35r18 are 25.4" tall. Factory are 23.6" tall. But if you wanted to stuff them in there I would say a 10" +24 to +20 for the front. A +20 would need more camber to fit without rubbing. For the rear a 10" with a +10 to +5 offset. If your trying to keep close to factory size then I would suggest a 17x10 +20 with a 245/35R17. It is 23.9" tall. 17x10 +20mm is used by VW guys so they are easier to find. Here is an example.
XXR 526 17x10 +20mm $160.65 each and just use spacers for the rear.
526_cb.jpg

With 245/35R17 they will look like this for a stretch.
10_245_35_R17_Falken_2_595.jpg

10_245_35_R17_Falken_3_595.jpg

magnum

Continental makes a 255 30R18 but they are discontinued so finding stock in the future will be hard.

CMS-GT4

Wheel and tire rolling diameter are getting larger and larger. I think manufactures try to make what will fit many popular or modern vehicles. I am curious what you can fit in the rear. Martin ran 275 all around at one point under stock fenders with the 17x9 38et 050s he had. I think he ran a spacer in the rear. Its been a while since I looked at my car, but I think with the rear fenders rolled my 255/40/17 tires still had plenty of clearance on the outside. I bet you can get another 1" of wheel under the rear.

By the offset calculator it looks as though a 10" wide w/ 20et is equal with a 9" wide wheel with 7et. Take a look at the wheel thread where the guy posted the 17x9 10et wheel, then look at pat's CCW setup and see if you can figure out if it will clear the fender.

magnum

lumbercis":2adg5bom said:
Is a 30 profile just not made for those widths?
No there is no 30 profile for those widths. 30 profiles start at 285 for 18 inch wheels and is not offered in 17 inch tires.

lumbercis

True, but he had some pretty massive flares. I'm willing to do a "pull" but don't really want to go as far as full-on flares. Mostly I'm just after an aggressive meaty-tire look. If I could squeeze some 275s on an 18" rim I think that would be perfect.

What do you guys think about fitting these as "test rims" http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id=6465

I want to use a cheaper set of wheels to test the fitment, and then once I'm sure I have my "perfect" fitment down, get some custom offset wheels like CCWs or Works.

If I'm sticking with 18's, what kind of tire do you think I can manage?

CMS-GT4

Well, when he ran 275 all around, he had to remove the front fender plastic. You might remove the plastic, but replace it with roof plastic as I have seen some of the autox guys do when fitting larger tires. I think as long as your rear fenders are rolled the 275s will fit no problem.

If your going to go with rota, you might as well consider the DPT since its their lighter wheel. I think I prefer its looks myself. Another set of rear wheels to consider is the Rota P-45R2 coming out due to its massive lip. You might get the wheels and decide you like them and stick with them.

celi_wabbit

CMS-GT4":3u3ubgxz said:
Well, when he ran 275 all around, he had to remove the front fender plastic. You might remove the plastic, but replace it with roof plastic as I have seen some of the autox guys do when fitting larger tires. I think as long as your rear fenders are rolled the 275s will fit no problem.

If your going to go with rota, you might as well consider the DPT since its their lighter wheel. I think I prefer its looks myself. Another set of rear wheels to consider is the Rota P-45R2 coming out due to its massive lip. You might get the wheels and decide you like them and stick with them.

If you guys are worried about fitment in the front, why don't you just put 275-35 on the back and 245-40 in the front?

magnum

A 18x10 +30mm might be too positive depending on your suspension for the front. You most likely would need a small spacer and a larger one in the back. When talking about what tire size that might fit under the wheel wells. Keep in mind not all tires are equal in size even though they are the same size. For example Sumitomo HTR Z II in 285/30R18 have a tread width of 9.9". Now compare that to like a Bridgestone Potenza S-02 that has a tread width of 11.1" That's 1.2" width difference with the same tire size. Some 265/35R18 are the same tread width as the Sumitomo HTR Z II in 285/30R18.

Landon

celi_wabbit":22j1bxgw said:
CMS-GT4":22j1bxgw said:

If you guys are worried about fitment in the front, why don't you just put 275-35 on the back and 245-40 in the front?

don't quote me on this, but personally doing a staggered look is appealing, but once you look into it and the pro's and con's of it they really aren't worth it. when i was looking for my set up i was thinking about staggered and it just doesn't seem like a good option. one thing to keep in mind is if you have the $$ for it a sick look would come from getting a set of wheels made with staggered offset. something like this, with maybe a little more aggressive offset. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthrea ... y-rear-end

celi_wabbit

Landon":3dhygo9a said:
celi_wabbit":3dhygo9a said:
CMS-GT4":3dhygo9a said:

don't quote me on this, but personally doing a staggered look is appealing, but once you look into it and the pro's and con's of it they really aren't worth it. when i was looking for my set up i was thinking about staggered and it just doesn't seem like a good option. one thing to keep in mind is if you have the $$ for it a sick look would come from getting a set of wheels made with staggered offset. something like this, with maybe a little more aggressive offset. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthrea ... y-rear-end

I had the same thing 5 years ago. I had an Audi S4 2001 with staggered look with dif offset, I thought it was worth it. That's why when it's time to change my tires, I'm going with 265-35 and 235-40. Present tire size is 235 all the way around with 18x9.5 rims, flushed.

so by the data in this thread and what i've been thinking i have tons of clearance to the front strut from my current setup. Im running 17x9 et30.

I dont have much room in the rear about 2mm clearance to spring perch.

Will a 18x10 with 255/35/18 clear wheel wells in the front? I want to run the same tire size all around with custom offsets and it seem like a 255/35/18 or 245/35/18 is very close to my current overall diameter.

so my therory is

font will clear with 18x10 and 35offset should give me 18mm less clearance in front and stick out 8mm more I will have to roll or pull the fenders more than i have already.

18x10 with a +12 will clear no prob in rear.

Any thougts?