short shifter

Landon

Hey guys, how possible would you say it would be to make a short shifter? i have full access to a machine shop with lathes, milling machines, etc. let me know what you think. i just think it would be an interesting project to take on.

jonnyboygt4

if thats the case you could just make your stock shifter into a short shifter...by making the bottom part longer...and shortening the top....

i looked into it before on the net theres guys that do it....but for the 150 bucks for a TWM..? or liek the one i have i paid 100 bucks on ebay...cosmo racing shortshifter...but had to modify to work...

GT4_ever

Really, I think the DIY way is the best way to go! Like Johnny said, add below the ball, remove from the top! It's a matter of cutting and welding, and so long as you are precise with both of those, you should have no problems.

Landon

alright guys sounds good. thanks for the advice. i would really like to do this. jonnyboy- why not spend the money? cause if i don't have the money and can do the mod for free during class time, why not? lol. but yeah i'll post up if i do this.

jonnyboygt4

if you have the time and resources for sure DIY....if your gonna do it your gonna want to take off those plastics "balls"(for lack of the proper term) before welding....id say add an inch to the bottom....im sure you can add a bit more but you will run into clearance issues with the shifter bottoming out....i had to heat up the stock mounting bolts and used an air hammer to pound them out...they are tacked in there from factory....i used longer bolts and washers to raise the shifter to prevent it from bottoming out...but really you could just buy a ebay corolla short shifter for like 15 bucks and just modify the way it mounted the same way i just explained....but you will need to re-use those plastic "balls" because the ones that come with the ebay crap are junk... if any of this helps...

Landon

yeah man that really does. i'll prolly try to tear into it soon and see what i think. i'll let you know whats up. thanks for the input. i appreciate it.

trd-at

i made my own, i will powt some pics tonight. I used a shifter from a 94+ celica and had to raise the base up because the lower portion of the shifter was actually too ling it was hitting the top of the tunnel. I had a machine shop cut 4 .5" 1" O.D. spacers of aluminum and i was all set.

CMS-GT4

I stacked some super thick washers and wound them in wire so they would not shift. Is worked for a long time.

jonnyboygt4

nope not at all...if you have the access to a machine shop then it will cost you nothing but your time....if you dont it will cost you $$$ which if your making your diy shifter hense...to save money...

CMS-GT4

I made my shifter as cheap as possible. I found one from an ae92. It came with no spacers so I had to make one a solution on a budget.

I am actually looking into another short shifter that comes with spacers, but it will hopefully be even less than what it cost me to make this last one. No hate, just duct tape. ;)

trd-at

yeah whatever you want to use really. We do some business with a machine shop about a block from mine. the aluminum came out of their scrap metal pile and he mut the pieces for free. Free is good for me. But yeah anything that works to raise the shifter lever housing.