Hub Project to make us wheel options (5/100 to 114.3)

CMS-GT4

From our guesstimate all you would need is 90s rav 4 hubs and new bearings. Then you have to come up with a brake solution. It might be idea to try and use an entire rav4 spindle so you can use the rav4 brakes as a temporary solution. Not sure if the spindles will fit, only one way to find out.

lumbercis

What would keep the spindles from fitting? You mean they just might not bolt up/put the arms in the same place? Or do you mean some sort of intereference?

About how much would a full set of Rav4 spindles run? How about the brakes?

CMS-GT4

One thing that could keep the spindle from fitting is the connection to the strut. That is really my only concern as it looks like the ball joint of of the same design.

For brakes, you can either go with rav4 brakes, which would likely not be any improvement over 185 brakes or you go custom. Custom would be easier since a supra rotor would bolt on, then it would be a matter of just choosing your calipers and getting a bracket made. Ksport makes a BBK for the rav4, but its well over a grand. It may be possible to use the revolution BBK from the celica since it 1) used supra rotors and 2) the mounting points on the caliper are the same. We do not currently know the offset though of mounting ears.

I may have a spindle on the way soon, so I will keep you all posted.

CMS-GT4

I had found one, but the guy selling it won't respond to my email, so I have not gotten it yet. If I do, and it fits I will start looking for new rotor options.

CMS-GT4

Alright, I finally heard back from the guy I was trying to get the hubs from. I hope to have a set of front rav4 spindles in the near future.

lumbercis

Any updates? We need to figure this out soon as the st185 really needs to break away from the 5x100 world and come into the 21st century!

But seriously CMS, PM me if you need any parts to make this happen. Im interested in the most simple conversion possible. So id be likely to just want to bolt the whole spindle on and use the rav4 brakes. Although it would be really nice if we could use the stock alltrac brakes.

CMS-GT4

I have been looking for a set of inexpensive 4wd spindles. They were cheap before, but I have not seen a cheap set lately.

darthripley

If you can just bolt on the Rav4 spindle then it would open up many different big brake upgrade options, from a MKIV Supra to an LS400.

If I hadn't spent as much time & money on doing the ST205 brakes as I did I would do the whole Rav4 conversion, do a 4 pot caliper from an LS400 & get some Volks in a really proper offset/width to flush out the wheel wells without the need for spacers.
I might revisit the whole thing sometime in the future but hopefully someone here will bite the bullet & see what can be done with the Rav4 bits.

tubasteve

to bring back the rav 4 idea, just read all 14 pages, damn, sometimes i hate the "good fourm mate" any ways

the bearing on the rav4 and hub sizes are tha exact samewith an id of 1.4961" front and rear and the celica is a 1.4691". i dont know depths or anything but i orderd a new hub for monday and will be here around 8am, ill have be alltrac spindal off and here for test fitting and setting up what brakes i want. ill try to do a side by side.

ill post back my findings monday.

lumbercis

tubasteve":33bybmm2 said:
the bearing on the rav4 and hub sizes are tha exact samewith an id of 1.4961" front and rear and the celica is a 1.4691".

Is this a typo? In any case, definitely post your results. Very interested to see what you come up with.

J

CMS-GT4

It looks like the rear bearing is different from the front on these cars. I was hoping to use the rav4 hubs on the rear to run staggered. I will likely just run a rear wheel adapter and run the same size all around instead.

tubasteve

typo is a NO, im getting my numbers from one of my major parts suppliers, i understand cms you have tried this, but im going to measure every thing and possibly machine what i need, goal is under $200 with brand new hubs around $40-50. ill see what my numbers are on monday. bearings arnt the same how ever the numbers show the id of the hub*bearing* to be darn near real close. ill post findings monday.

tubasteve

these are the pics of specs from my parts house.

Attachments

• celica front.png
    celica front.png
    209.1 KB · Views: 1,819
  • rav4rear.png
    rav4rear.png
    191.2 KB · Views: 1,819

deecee

common dimension for shaft diameter is 38mm. Highly uncommon for a run of the mill vehicle to have something as bespoke like a 37.3mm shaft diameter
go here for dimensions of wheel bearings front and rear:

http://seekpart24.com/toyota/rav-4-i-sx ... ing-100579

rav4 front hub: http://seekpart24.com/febi/wheel-hub-28 ... 79&at=3544
rav4 front bearing: http://seekpart24.com/febi/wheel-bearin ... 79&at=3544
rav4 cv joint, 26 spline: http://seekpart24.com/jakoparts/joint-k ... 71&at=3544

gt4 front hub shaft dia = 38mm
gt4 cv joint spline = 26 spline

it will be down to spline dia, but as it is toyota, i'd be confident that there would be no issue retro fitting camry or rav4 hubs to gt4 bearing, cv joint

gtfour77

I still think camry front spindles is the way to go folks, it has a bigger bearing which os a huge plus, especially for a performance oriented car... and it's simple, very simple. It has plenty of meat to re-drill the tie rod end tapered hole for proper geometry, the steering arm is lower for reducing bump steer if your RC is corrtected.... I know it would be really simple to just change the hub though if it was available. :)

lumbercis

^For performance you are right. However, I'd really just like a simple "bolt-on" conversion for better wheel fitment. In any case, it would be great if we could have more than one way to do this so people with different needs can decide what works best for them. You did awesome work pioneering the Camry conversion though, so thanks!!!

J.

tubasteve

i agree with the camry spindles and all. BUT! im looking at a bolt on for all four. the camry doesnt exactly bolt on the rear :doh: . im making custom spindles this fall if i really feel its needed. bigger is better but bearing failure is not really an issue with these cars or the rav4(from what ive seen at my shop) im currently no longer doing track with this one, but just wanting to have more wheel choices, have the same lug pattern as my hondas casue of spares and less rims needed in my garages.

i have the rough numbers for the rav4 hub(s) looks all good. will get al lthe others as soon as i being my spare front and rear knuckles.

-tubasteve