GT35R Turbo

GT4TOY

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting the Garrett GT35R ballbearing turbo for my st185 and was wondering if anyone else has tried this turbo on their car?

Seems like it would pack quite a 'punch' 8)

Thanks,

Gus

Wraith

GT35R is a great turbo for top end power... Should get you close to 600whp @ 27 to 32psi of boost depending on what cams your running...

GT4TOY

That sounds about right, the only thing I'm wondering is what is this turbo like on the street (note: this car is not being set up for the street, its going to be my weekend fun car/drag monster).

When abouts would this start boosting (as in usable, with 272 hks cams)?

Don't want something that starts at 6,000rpm, and I know they recommend this turbo for 3-4l cars.

Looking at a new one for $2500 in New Zealand (think it works out at about .70 cents to the USD) does that sound like a resonable price? Funny thing is I can get a GT40 turbo for $1900, but the smaller one is more expensive!!!!! go figure.....

Thanks,

Wraith

gt4toy":1to1cni2 said:
That sounds about right, the only thing I'm wondering is what is this turbo like on the street (note: this car is not being set up for the street, its going to be my weekend fun car/drag monster).

When abouts would this start boosting (as in usable, with 272 hks cams)?

Don't want something that starts at 6,000rpm, and I know they recommend this turbo for 3-4l cars.

Looking at a new one for $2500 in New Zealand (think it works out at about .70 cents to the USD) does that sound like a resonable price? Funny thing is I can get a GT40 turbo for $1900, but the smaller one is more expensive!!!!! go figure.....

Thanks,

actually GT40 is the bigger unit . But be carefull some of the turbo companies makes their own copies of the GT40 which really isnt a Garrett GT series turbo ... Garretts size goes like this
GT2840R
GT30
GT30R
GT35
GT35R
GT40
GT40R
GT4088R

I have had a GT30R and now I will be running my custom built GT4088R ...

The GT35R is awesome turbo but you wont see boost till like 4000 to 4800rpm... even with the 272 camshafts... Unless your runnning a big port head, custom manifold, and HKS Japan 272 high lifts... I dont care much about turbo lag because helps me from breaking loose the tires... If I need to spool the turbo quick I have a 75shot of nos to help spool up and got a 2 step for the track with the nitrious shot...

GT4TOY

what was the GT30R like?

yeah, not to worried if the boost comes on around the 4K mark, wont be spending much time there :D

Thats going to be one hell of a beast with a GT40 on it!!!!

Sounds like the GT35R will do the job I want.

Wraith

gt4toy":2pcdk2yr said:
what was the GT30R like?

yeah, not to worried if the boost comes on around the 4K mark, wont be spending much time there :D

Thats going to be one hell of a beast with a GT40 on it!!!!

Sounds like the GT35R will do the job I want.

GT30R was a great turbo ... It spooled up just like a T67 turbo ... made 281whp on just 13psi of boost on a relativally stock motor with 264 cams set at zero...

BayAreaAT

2,500 i can get you any of these turbo from 1200 to 1600...Let me Know
GT2840R
GT30
GT30R
GT35
GT35R
GT40
GT40R
I have pictures of gt28r and the gt40r if you like..

Wraith

gt4toy":3jtcf04s said:
I presume that $1200 - $1600 is in USD? the $2500 was in NZD (works out at around $1400 USD).

make sure its the new GT35R because the new ones has a inlet this...
535237_171_full.jpg

535237_174_full.jpg

Anti-Surge Compressor Inlets... by the way thats my turbo ...