ST165 USDM to JDM transmission swap issues?

Sweet_Mustache

My 88' alltrac is in need of a new transmission, and luckily I have one that came with the JDM motor I'm running (1st gen 3S-GTE). I've noticed though, that the JDM transmission has a few differences including a big round canister with two vacuum line terminals on it attached to the transfer case. Does anyone know what the differences are, and what possible issues I might run into? I also heard rumors of speedometer cable differences and was wondering if there's any merit to this. Thanks very much.

d1alltrac

what year is the engine/transmission? It sounds like you have the locking center diff from the early jdm cars, in which case you might want to find something else.

post pics.

phattyduck

That transmission has the manual locking center diff/transfer case. There is no viscous coupling with that setup. The manual Alltrac Camry and early JDM ST165's had it... The transmission will bolt in just fine and generally work, but you won't get the locking feature and you lose the viscous coupling that all the later transmissions had.

Speedo cable should be compatible.

-Charlie