Diagnosing VIN numbers

jonnyboygt4

I have a few questions about my gt four in regads to what the vin tells me....as in what was the original paint colour and any other info that you could learn from the vin...

1991 JDM celica Vin# st1850012716

if someone could help that would be appreciated thx!

TEAMFaint

Gary ST165":vlk3yfhx said:
The vehicle is not a '91, it was manufactured in December 1990.

Manufactured in December of a year thus means the vehicle is a 91.
Vehicles made after June of each year is then a vehicle of the next year. (ie. build date July of 1994, thus means the vehicle is technically a 1995 model).

Gary ST165

Kellen, i see no logic in that. > Is that a Canada thing?

The build date is build date, no escaping that fact. (1st registration date is something else altogether )

out of interest...which month was your 94 ST205 built?

ST205production.jpg

jonnyboygt4

production years always come out ahead a year... so this year....(2011) they are actually selling 2012's...makes perfect sense...not a canada thing at all...

Gary ST165

Whatever makes you happy folks.

When people ask about the age of my cars i tell them the ST165 was built in July 1989...and is one of the last few off the production line. Incidental it was 1st registered in the UK in December 1989.
Based on what you say, am i to believe that my 1989 ST165 is actually a 1990 model :lol: Even though none were ever manufactured in 1990 as production moved on to the ST185.

..and on that logic my RC & Carlos Sainz homolgation spec ST185s that were built in August and September 1991 are actually both 1992 models , and my mate owns a 1994 ST185.

confused? It is a non-sense to me.

ST165production.jpg

ST185production.jpg

Gary ST165

...anyhow back to the OP.

what does it say on your VIN plate for colour code , transmission code & model code?

post up a picture and i will diagnose it for you.

jonnyboygt4

i dont have a pic now but when i get home in 2 weeks ill snap one...it woiuld help out alot as I dont really know if the current paint is the original coat....seems to me like it has been re finished...but all i know is it was imported in 2008....

sonochevelle

Gary ST165":2pcqssqi said:
Kellen, i see no logic in that. > Is that a Canada thing?

The build date is build date, no escaping that fact. (1st registration date is something else altogether )

out of interest...which month was your 94 ST205 built?

ST205production.jpg

its a US thing too! always go off the 10th digit in the VIN :wink:

VINmodelyearcodes.jpg

Gary ST165

sonochevelle":35sgtsg8 said:
its a US thing too! always go off the 10th digit in the VIN :wink:

VINmodelyearcodes.jpg

Example:
USDM ST185 > JT2ST88P7P002365x This car was built in January 1993 according to EPC

10th digit = P = 1993

That all ties in.

arj

Gary ST165":3u8t4w5a said:
Kellen, i see no logic in that. > Is that a Canada thing? The build date is build date, no escaping that fact.

It's not a Canada thing. The build date and the model year are not the same, since calendar year and model year are offset. Model year runs from the 1st of October to the 30th of September.

athousandleaves

I think everyone is confusing Build Date with the Year/Trim.

Yes both my cars were built in 1991 but they arrived with the post facelift trim & changes which makes them 1992 year models.

Zenki: 8/84 - 7/91
Kouki: 8/91 - 9/93

Also with the amount of time shipping takes to get cars over here...

jonnyboygt4

sorry for the late post...heres the picture as requested....any info would be appreciated

Attachments

• celica vin plate.jpg
    celica vin plate.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 0