replacing shifter cables

RafaCalde

can someone tell me what needs to come off or out to get the shifter cables out or atleast post me a link that will get me in the right direction. Thanks guys.

Xiansheng

you have to take the plastic piece around the shifter out to get under the shifter in the cabin, and remove the couple big bolts to lift up and remove the shifter assembly, and remove the cables from there, keep any little clips, bushings n things, dont loose em.

and remove the shifter cables off of the transmission keeping any little clips etc....
the 2 cables will be attached to the shift linkage, to the right of the engine looking straight down on top of the transmission..
and have fun gettin it through the firewall.
(probably easier to remove the tranny side first, then maybe you can pull the whole shifter assembly with cables attached out once the shifter assembly is unbloted from frame.)

If I remember right, that's all there is to it man.

Here's some pics I found on the net... http://media.photobucket.com/image/st18 ... 3439-1.jpg
http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/2925 ... rgesl0.jpg
just remove both ends and get it out n replace it, but why you need to replace the cables, what's up with them?

-EDIT-
While you're doin that, I would inspect the shift linkage parts on the transmission for play or if anything is bent.. that stuff is easy to find and replace and gives the car a much better feel if those parts are old and crusty / loose.
and don't reuse any dried cracked destroyed rubber bushing parts, easy to get new, and really makes the car feel better.. I remember doing this on my Alltrac years ago.. found at a JDM engine shop all those little parts in perfect condition.. ;)

Awesome-Trac

Ok I know this is a old thread but I was wondering how you guys were able to remove the 10mm bolts connected to the firewall right next to the rack and pinion?

fussellbug

The two nuts and holddown plate at the firewall are difficult to maneuver and took me a few tries to figure it out. There is a bracket on the power steering hardlines just in front of the right nut (looking at the firewall from front of car). Loosen the hardline bracket and you should be able to slide it to the right or remove it while you work on the cables. Remove the two nuts from the holddown plate then lift the left side of the plate off the stud and rotate it counter-clockwise so that the opening at the bottom of the plate goes over the cables. The plate should then be free to remove and the rubber piece will be split (at the bottom iirc) so that you can pull it out and over the cables.

Putting back is in reverse order but the rubber piece is a pia to get back into the space properly.

Don't forget there's also a plate and rubber seal under the ECU that's almost as difficult to get to because you'll have to take most of the center consle apart to get to it.