Any experienced mechanic for ST185 in or around Ottawa!?

Brad_91

I think I'm having mechanical or electrical issues with my speedometer and tachometer but i don't want to bring it in to any mechanic that has no idea how to get around the cars wiring etc.
Any suggestions?

Brad_91

Couldn't get into that site or register. Anyways I've heard from JDM Ottawa and they said there is not a mechanic around here they would trust. Is there anyone around Ottawa that would potentially work on the car with me? Be it a licensed mechanic or not? Lat time I brought it to a Toyota dealership and it took them a while to even figure out what it was.. I am gonna try to fix my problems myself for now but I don't know the car that well and it would be nice to have some contacts for this stuff anyways in the future.

If not, wish me luck with figuring it out myself! :p

Brad

Brad_91

I'm not sure what the exact problem is, but my tach has never worked properly and my speedometer is not reliable. Sometimes the speedo works and then drops to zero for a while and can vary anywhere in between the actual speed and 0 forever. My tachometer will only stay in between 0 and 1'000 rpm. When it reads 1'000 rpm it is pretty much at cut-off. I was told by the guy I bought it from that he hit the speedometer cable from the tranny to the dash while painting stuff underneath or something but I'm not even sure where that is. Would that affect both the speedo. and tach? It is a normal JDM st185 widebody.

klue

Hey brad,
You can probably take a good look at these issues yourself if you handy with tools. You need to take out the gauge cluster and look behind for the cable, there is a mechanical connection between the speedo cable and the gauge cluster. I would imagine that it also has something to do with the tach not working as well. Maybe another loose connection.

If your car is a japan import it will not be widebody. If it is CDM or USDM then it will be

Brad_91

Cool, I think I will try that before I give it to a mechanic somewhere and pay huge bucks for them to guess as well :p.
And I thought for sure mine was widebody! I've also read that most imports are narrow body, but it seems pretty wide in the back to me. Either way, I just put that for reference of the model, but I doubt it changes where the problem lies. Thanks for the help. I have lots to do on it this spring so I can just add this to the list.
Thanks,
Brad