error code 52, bad sensor cause problems?

timco

Been having issues with acceleration hesitation and idle. I get error code 52 in diagnostics. Could a bad knock sensor cause these symptoms? I have no vacuum leaks, new fuel filter and pump. New plugs, wires, cap and Rotor. My only engine code is error 52. Thanks in advance,
Kris

timco

It's drivable now, but I literally can barely do more than idle through the gears. Giving it more gas just seems to bog it down until I hit the higher rpms of the gear. Going to order the sensor from ats racing and hope it solves the problem.
Thanks a lot
Kris

Gary ST165

code 52

blown knock sensor, from to much boost or critical knock event
or it could be a break in the wiring between KS to ECU.

If you reset the ECU ( pull EFI fuse) you can drive / rev until about 2800 before the engine management light will come on and retard performance to "safe mode"

timco

Gary ST165":x37n2pro said:
code 52

If you reset the ECU ( pull EFI fuse) you can drive / rev until about 2800 before the engine management light will come on and retard performance to "safe mode"

From what I read the stock knock sensor is pretty fragile. Ordered a new one today. Hope it solves my issue. Until it comes in is it safe to keep driving and just go easy on it? Thanks for the help.
Kris.

Gary ST165

the knock sensor is not fragile... many last for 20+years without issue

but poor tuning will kill it

you certainly shouldn't boost with out KS!
...and as i said you can nurse the car up to 2800 rpm :D so it is still driveable. just.

timco

Gary ST165":1hx2r2gn said:
the knock sensor is not fragile... many last for 20+years without issue

but poor tuning will kill it

you certainly shouldn't boost with out KS!
...and as i said you can nurse the car up to 2800 rpm :D so it is still driveable. just.

Guess my car us 20 yrs oldish. Whoever swapped the engine and ecu did a terrible job so I assume it was never dyno tested. Looks like someone got into ahurry to drive it and just threw everything together so I'm left with working it all out. I'll baby it and get that new sensor installed as soon as it arrives. Crossing my fingers that it will solve my problems. Been replacing everything.

timco

Cleared the codes with removal of the EFI fuse once, then the neg bat cable once. Even after that I start up and the engine light just stays on constantly. Even if i havent revved over idle. Only code is the code 52 as of now. I spoke with 5th gear motorsports they insist that replacing the knock sensor wont do me any good. Their only advice was to get a new wiring harness.... hoping like mad that this isnt the case : (
Kris

timco

Gary ST165":vym3235c said:
code 52

Even after resetting the fuse ill start the engine and(sometimes 30 seconds others immediately) the CEL comes back on. new knock sensor will be here this coming week hope that is the issue. Checking the wiring as of now. Another thread showing where/how to replace it scares me because the guys problem was actually a piston hitting(actual knock). I listen to it idle and hear nothing aside from valve ticks.

timco

Tested the continuity of the cable from the KS to the ecu. Was fine. Though I've read its a single cable from the KS to the ecu...right before the ecu mine has been spliced, one cable runs to the ecu and the other looks like it goes somewhere back into the wiring harness and I havent been able to find where. I have the cable ready to just make a new one but not sure if i need to worry about that rogue connection that just splices off. Any thoughts?
kris

edit: I removed my old KS(still dont have the new one) to check it out. It "looks" fine. Any test to see if its bad?

timco

My buddy has a 3sgte just waiting to be swapped in to his 5th gen. I borrowed is KS and ran a new wire...car runs perfect now. Better than it has since I've had it. Thanks for all the help.
Kris