Canada +1 USA -1

Stubble

I imported this baby a month ago from the States. My red 185 had rusted out - the floor was going, the rockers had gaping holes, and the fuel lines rusted and were hemoraging fuel. So, my search for a rust-free 185 led me to this specimen. It has some rust on the suspension and subframe components, but all superficial and nothing more than you'd see on a 5 year-old car. It is essentially completely stock too, and the interior is in fantastic shape - not even any significant cracking on the leather.

I don't have major plans for it in the short term. I have my red one as a parts car, which has a rebuilt engine that will eventually get dropped in. I'll swap the Aussie/HKS exhaust this spring. It has been so well maintained though that I have very little to do to it.

firstweek2.jpg

The pinstripe is original dealer work. I'm going to take it off, but I expect that it will leave a shadow or trace on the paint. I'll try to buff it out.

athomeprewash2.jpg

This was right after I drove it home outside the car wash. The salt and snow came off nicely!

While I'm happy to have another 185, I am quite sad that my red one is finished. My dad ordered it in 1990, and drove it for 6 years. I purchased it off him and have owned it since 1996, which made me one of the longest-time alltrac owners.

Bye-bye 0006273:
celicaincanmore10gp7.jpg

(this is a five year old picture, before the rust attacked)

GT4_ever

So if your original CANDM car was rusted, and the USDM car wasn't, wouldn't that mean your title is backwards?!? :p
And trust me, you guys use WAY less salt than we do here in the maritimes.

Either way, great looking car!

alltracst185

He means that the U.S lost one trac and Canada gained a trac :p Looks very good, what you pay for her if you don't mind me asking?

Stubble

I got it from Illinois, and it was about $6500 after taxes, duty, and incidentals (ie flight to get there, safety inspection, hotels, gas coming home, etc). It has 140,000 miles on it, while my red one is just shy of 270,000 km.

Being a USDM, it has an open rear diff; I'll swap my torsen into it this spring. It has a JDM engine, andthe previous owner had put a brand new CT26 in it 50,000 miles ago. The engine swap was done at a toyota dealership. The car vibrated considerably at idle (steering wheel violently shook), but I knew from experience that it was likely caused by the rear engine mount. Yesterday I confirmed that they had installed the rear engine mount backwards, which was an easy fix. The direction arrow was no longer legible, but I wonder if Toyota puts the arrow facing the wrong way or if the BGB is wrong? Either that or the toyota techs were asleep.

It also has the auto climate control and airbag which my CanDM does not. I'm not a fan of the auto climate though, as I like to have the defroster on all the time in the winter.

Autobot

I'll have to swing by and check it out next time I'm in the city. Now we both have black All-Tracs. :D

Stubble

Yeah, I plan on getting some rustproofing done. It has had the whole underbody coated, but I haven't had a good look at it to see if it is intact. I just spent a week sorting out getting an immobilizer installed. It's mandatory to have one in Manitoba when you import a car, but luckily it is almost free (paid for by our public insurance company). Unfortunately, the first one they installed was defective.

TRDTurko

Nice to see another alltrac in winnipeg. I can't wait to get my 88 running again (its from vancouver so the rust isnt that bad). Once I do there will be 3 black tracs in the city :D