sMARTINside - New Wheels

sMARTINside

Ok, so here are some updates on me and my car. I don't post much but I am reading a lot on this forum.

The last time I left some news about my car on this forum, I made this thread in the New Member Forum:
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29220

I decided to take the celica out for February and drift in the snow with it. Since 3 years, I had not done this. I didn't remember how much fun this is!

Here are some pics of the car

With summer tires and wheels coming out of storage:
P2280020-2.jpg

P2280026-2.jpg

P2280031-2.jpg

After a little fun in the snow with winter tires and wheels:
P2280036-2.jpg

P2280038-2.jpg

I'll tell you about my latest mods soon.

Martin

sMARTINside

Here are my latest mods in chronological order:

Tires:
Spring 2009: Bought and installed some Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport in the 225/50R16 size. They provide good grip without draging excessively. They are confidence inspiring in any weather, as the Alltrac does...
xbs_potenza_re760_spt_ci2_l.jpg

Brakes
Spring 2009: I changed the brake pads all around for PBR ult ceramic pads. They are also very good in daily driven duty. I already had tried them on my Tercel, for daily drive and loved them, since they don't make tons of dust for the braking force that they offer. I also replaced a caliper in the back since it was seized.

Transmission:
Summer 2009: I had to take the engine and transmission out of the car to change the clutch, as it broke on a trip 500 kilometers from home. I could manage to get at my father's place (who has a lift in his garage). I decided to buy a whole ST205 swap since the transmission was not shifting so good: bad synchros on 2nd and 4th gears. So I installed the ST205 clutch, tranny and shifter cables. Since then, it is a dream to drive this car around as it shifts so smooth.

Wheel Spacers:
Spring 2010: I was tired of seeing the big gap between the rear fenders and the wheels. I bought myself the 20mm wheel spacers with longer wheel studs from H&R. This fixed the esthetic problem.
width-overview.jpg

Catback
Summer 2010: I changed my catback for the HKS Silent Hi-Power. I love the sound it has at the tip, at the moment but I find the tip oversized (4''). Maybe one day, I will change the muffler part to get back to a double 2.5 inches tips (a little like stock but bigger). For the midpipe section, I am waiting for Greg to get this midpipe done so I can install that one and then the exhaust will be complete.
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38431
HKS_silent_hipower.jpg

RC bumper
Fall 2010: I installed a RC bumper coming from a JDM RC ST185. I always loved the look that they had, so I had no choice to do this... I will get this painted in 2011. I will also remove the license plate section to make the central horizontal bar look like it wasn't made to get a license plate.
P2280025-2.jpg

rear Sway Bar
Fall 2010: I installed a Whiteline rear adjustable sway bar that I had laying around since a while. I didn't know that this part alone would have that much effect on the Celica's behavior on the road. I started adjusting it to the stiffest to see if really it has an effect on the car. Answer was YES. The only way that I could tell someone about it is: The car didn't want to turn, but now, it does! I just tried it on Monday, drifting in snow. The car is so controlable and stable, it is a total difference with before. I thought that it would be too much for winter, but no, it's just perfect.
009.jpg

Now the Alltrac is waiting to receive a new heart, a ST205 one. I am getting ready for the transplant. I have changed many things on the ST205 engine before I put it in the car: Timing Belt and tensioner, Front and rear crankshaft seals, Spark plug (NGK BRK7EIX), Ignition leads (Magnecor 8.5mm), Dristributor cap and rotor. I also gutted the stock downpipe and welded in a bung for a Wideband O2 sensor for a gauge and ECU control (via a Lamba emulator) Innovate G3 kit. I greased the timing belt idlers as the bearing roll like new, I didn't think it was time to change them. I will be using the whole water-to-air system from a ST205. I will also use the ST205 Fuse Box as my ST185 one has many bad connections in it... It will not be as easy as keeping the ST185 one, but it will be trouble free afterwards. The wiring harness from the ST205 is already ready to be joined to the ST185 part, but the car runs right now. As soon as I start taking off the powertrain, I will do the same with the ST185 wiring harness.

The ST205 wiring harness: identified and lightened:
P3020040-2.jpg

What a nice project. As long I me and my girlfriend will love this car, I will be the happiest man on earth!

Martin V.

GT4_ever

A RSB is considered the must have suspension upgrade to Subaru guys, my old RS came stock with a pathetic 13mm :(
Bought a 22mm whiteline with solid endlinks, HOLY CRAP unbelievable difference. Even in changing lanes on the highway.

You've convinced me to get one for my GT4 now!

Car looks great man, lots of plans too! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Btw, where did you get your catback from? I'm concerned about shipping, I know big things like that are generally a pain at the border!

sMARTINside

GT4_ever":2to0lov9 said:
A RSB is considered the must have suspension upgrade to Subaru guys, my old RS came stock with a pathetic 13mm :(
Bought a 22mm whiteline with solid endlinks, HOLY CRAP unbelievable difference. Even in changing lanes on the highway.

You've convinced me to get one for my GT4 now!

Car looks great man, lots of plans too! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Btw, where did you get your catback from? I'm concerned about shipping, I know big things like that are generally a pain at the border!
I am happy to see that my experience with the rear sway bar will influence you. Like you say, I also beleive that it's a must-have!

I bought the HKS exhaust on eBay, from kurumamotoring. Total shipped was: $714.98.
I really like the quality of this exhaust.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HKS-...CA-ALLTRAC-TURBO-/190452729120#ht_2293wt_1166

Corey Darling":2to0lov9 said:
Looks great, clean car!
Thanks a lot for the great comments!

sMARTINside

Here is a mod that I have also done:

Mud Flaps:
Summer 2009: I cut them out of some cheap floor mats. They are not perfect but they do the job quite good.

P3040044.jpg

P3040041.jpg

sMARTINside

So my 2nd generation engine broke today: It makes a long time that it makes an odd sound from the timing belt cover. I never really mattered, but now I think it's time to swap the ST205 engine. I will investigate on the cause when the engine is out.

sMARTINside

Thanks guys, I will follow your advice not to drive the car from now on. Anyway, it didn't have any power, the last time I drove it, yesterday. I think the car feels cozy where it is right now:
We have got a hell of a storm here, in Quebec, Canada. In one day, 2 feet of snow!

P3070050.jpg

P3070047.jpg

And here is my girlfriend's wanabe EVO III Dodge Colt:
P3070053.jpg

There, she found it!:
P3070057.jpg

sMARTINside

Yes, we had quite a good storm. Every business was closed on that day! Now, It's melting down, so I can work on my Alltrac outside. That is the only place I have for now... One day, I'll have my garage! :pissed:

sMARTINside

Hi guys, The ST205 is now swapped and running. I have a couple problems to solve. First of all, I don't know how the radiator fan is controled on the ST205 engine. Is it a thermoswitch driving the Fan relay? I plugged The CF pin of the ECU on the relay, thinking that the ECU was driving it. Can someone help me?

phattyduck

The ST205 uses a thermoswitch to drive a relay, just like the earlier cars. It is located at the bottom of the radiator on the ST205, so there is no place on the engine for it. If this is unplugged, your fans should be running constant.

I don't know if the CF pin is an input or an output on the ST205 ECU - I hooked it up on my swap just in case (it might be so the ECU knows when the fans are on, or it might be to be able to alternately turn the fans on if something is too hot, like air intake temp or something).

-Charlie

sMARTINside

Hi, I got the ST205 running and I fixed many things so it is running perfectly now. It's running a very stock 205 setup, including all the W2A pump. It boosts at 13.2 psi.

How fast?
0-60 mph: 7 seconds
0-100 mph: 16 seconds
I love it!

Here is a picture of my works of the last months, since March.

EngineBay.jpg

I also removed ABS and installed a wildwood adjustable proportioning valve. It does a very good job!

Xiansheng

Really nice job man! I had same big problems in ontario crazy winters a while back and engine blew on me one cold night driving with low oil..oil was probably sludge and didn't get to the top good.. it blew the end lobe of the camshaft bearing.. or whatever it's called exactly.. anyway... Following the thread... NiCE RiDE mAN!

Can you give me info on the wildwood proportioning valve for my newly aquired st185 I'm trying to build up nice.. I'm in Canada also so maybe you can link me to where you got it from or somethin? I'm real interested man.. there's probably lots of info around here about it..LOL.. but I landed here reading your thread, and you're close man, maybe you can hook me up with good place to buy this stuff also. :D

Thanks man... I had a red alltrac, and I miss her! your ride looks sweet man! getting flashbacks of my younger days in the ReD BeaST flying sidewayz through the crazy winters over here... she's an animal alright!! and with a 205 motor and tranny now.. NICE! cherish her man.. lol.. rust proofing is high up on my list of todo things on this new ride of mine here in this Country,,lol ;)

EDIT- just thought of this looking at your engine pics and the w2a.. a tip for you cuz it's on my mind right now anyway.. one of the first things on my todo list with the w2a is to set the IC pump to always run, I don't care about longevity of the pump ya know.. :) .. thinking about how just everything will have better longevity under the hood. cya.

klue

Nice, I use the same one. Works well but you have to remove the stock valve or else it pretty much does nothing.

sMARTINside

Thanks klue, I redid all the brake tubings and replaced all the hoses by Goodridge SS ones at that moment, so no more stock proportioning valve, only the Wilwood.