project st205 engine swap.

sonochevelle

removed the bumper and mounted the heat exchanger with some garage door opener hanger/straps to the bumper support.

with bumper off
ffc9fe09a6e4__1297984490000.jpg

with bumper on
546f7ae1987a__1297984490000.jpg

krogers128

where did you get the manifold gasket? i didn't replace mine when i had it off, but i could probably use a new one anyways... i'm doing the same swap but in an st165.

sonochevelle

krogers128":3oxql7sg said:
where did you get the manifold gasket? i didn't replace mine when i had it off, but i could probably use a new one anyways... i'm doing the same swap but in an st165.

i got it from a dealer. they said it was the only one in the U.S. but idk how accurate that is.

krogers128

whats the reason for the heat exchanger? thogught about getting one on before for my st205 swap. as well as a new radiator..

sonochevelle

krogers128":3vmn3awv said:
whats the reason for the heat exchanger? thogught about getting one on before for my st205 swap. as well as a new radiator..

its for the intercooler i didnt get one when i purchased my engine plus its kindof an upgrade from the factory one

sonochevelle

krogers128":2r3y6mmn said:
oh i see so yours didnt come with the top mount, makes sense lol

the intercooler is still mounted on top

its a water to air intercooler. the hot compressed air is cooled by water, and the heated water is pumped to the heat exchanger to be cooled by air

sonochevelle

today was very eventful! lol

i drilled and tapped the coolant housing for the 3rd coolant temp sensor.

routed the wiring harness.

remounted the heat exchanger b/c i didnt like how low it would be to the ground, i did this by notching out the bumper support from the backside with a plasma cutter and welded in supports.
Photo0375.jpg

Photo0377.jpg

installed the intake manifold

installed berk downpipe.
Photo0369.jpg

Photo0368.jpg

Photo0376.jpg

installed 2" lowering springs on front struts (didnt feel like taking apart the rear suspension yet..)

installed new WIX fuel filter

swapped the fitting on the power steering pump

and i ordered new front cv shafts.

sonochevelle

ENGINE IS IN THE CAR!!!

it went in WAY smoother than it came out.

installed S.S. aluminum cross member mounts
connected the exhaust
connected the wiring harness and ran it through the firewall
intalled S.S. braided clutch line
installed S.S. brass shifter bushings
(the custom short shifter feels amazing and will be even better once there are actually fluids in it.)
installed new c/v axles and put the front suspension back together
installed radiator and hoses

still need to:

make the oil lines to the oil cooler that i fu*cked up during the engine removal :oops:
install water to air ic, mount the ic pump/wire it, run the lines.
relocate the battery and make the battery cables. +add lots of ground straps
fabricate a strait intake pipe and fab. up a "cold air box"
install the rear lowering springs (still waiting for the crash bolts)
swap the fuel pump pin and the fc circuit open relay on the engine harness
put bumper and hood back on
put interior back together
add fluids

pray to the toyota gods that she starts with no problems.

sonochevelle

i need to swap it because the 22 pin connector is inside the car still and i couldn't swap the pin over yet. i dont really care about the resistor yet i just want to make sure i get the car running. im already kind of nervous about it.

sMARTINside

Ok, it was just to send the FPR pin on the right connector. I thought you meant to run the pump full power all the time. :doh:

sonochevelle

HOME MADE SHIFT BOOT SON!!

i was tired of waiting on my mom to make the thing so i went to her place, took apart the old one and made the patterns of the pieces roughly about 2' shorter.

i put the patterns on black suede and cut them out. i decided to use red stitching just cuz it looked cool and i feel that it turned out awesome! the lines arent perfectly strait but o well...

lemme know what u think!

4022954feb4d__1301194203000.jpg

32797faa73b8__1301194203000.jpg

sonochevelle

been getting a lot of little things done..

rear lowering springs in with camber bolts all in
front brakes put back in
ran the battery cable from the engine bay to the trunk (still need to solder the cable ends on)
mounted the intercooler water pump and ran the wires (still need to mount the relay)
siphoned out the 2+ year old fuel
fabricated the 205 coil bracket to the 185 coil mount
shortened the throttle cable bracket (so the throttle plate would close)

now for the fun stuff.
since the the front crossmember (the one that runs perpendicular to the car) was already off i decided to take it to my uncle to have it notched for a bigger exhaust i plan to be fabricating some day.

to start with
6c4891e842a2__1301451860000.jpg

we marked the holes on the table by spraying paint over the holes.
we cut out approximately 8 inches out of the crossmember where the exhaust ran over, to be sure i would have plenty of room for the future exhaust.

we then welded 2.5 inch angle iron (about 1/4 thick) to each peice which lowered the lowest point about 1.5 inch from where it was. and making sure they were level with each other.
02543b5ab73e__1301451185000.jpg

69b71dfff012__1301451185000.jpg

we used his piranha ironworker (extremely handy machine)to cut a piece of plate to fill the gap between each piece of angle iron. we welded the plate to the angle iron
5631c390fed4__1301451185000.jpg

i dont have the rest of the pics yet but i will upload them tomorrow
i will be smoothing the welds and throwing on a coat of paint.
im almost positive that this setup will allow me to be able to run a 4 inch exhaust if i ever wanted

tjdouble07

sonochevelle":2qjawtdj said:
we then welded 2.5 inch angle iron (about 1/4 thick) to each peice which lowered the lowest point about 1.5 inch from where it was. and making sure they were level with each other.
02543b5ab73e__1301451185000.jpg

69b71dfff012__1301451185000.jpg

we used his piranha ironworker (extremely handy machine)to cut a piece of plate to fill the gap between each piece of angle iron. we welded the plate to the angle iron
5631c390fed4__1301451185000.jpg

i dont have the rest of the pics yet but i will upload them tomorrow
i will be smoothing the welds and throwing on a coat of paint.
im almost positive that this setup will allow me to be able to run a 4 inch exhaust if i ever wanted

Yeah you should have no problems. This is what I did (pretty much the same thing it looks like...):

p1000456ls1.jpg

sonochevelle

Finished up the crossmember today!
b4c402634eff__1301534684000.jpg

3d8c2273484c__1301534684000.jpg

bolted it up and it fits great!
3b42e2ef212e__1301531285000-1.jpg

i also got the ecm mounted.
coolant lines for the I.C. heat exchanger finished
wired the relay for the I.C. water pump

made a mount for the under hood relay box using garage door hanger and painted it black.(also mounted I.C. wtr. pump relay on it)
88d3f512d0fd__1301531285000.jpg

5cdd12088113__1301531285000.jpg

dont feel like i got that much stuff done, but it was all very time consuming.. :(