Quiet performance muffler?

pg

Any suggestion on what type or brand of muffler you think reduces exhaust noise the best on a 3 inch system?

jonnyboygt4

haha is that even possible...my 3 inch is loud as hell lol...

quiet= restriction....kinda defeating the purpose of a 3 inch exhaust.. :shrug:

lumbercis

I'd say HKS Hi-power as well. I had the old non-silent version and it wasn't bad at all. Although I was running a stock midpipe at the time.

The silent Hi-power should be even quieter.

J.

phattyduck

The secret to quiet with flow is volume (lots of muffler volume). If you are doing custom, go for a 3" muffler in the normal location, another 3" muffler in the rear resonator spot and as big of a resonator in secondary cat location as you can fit. Offset in / center out would quiet it down more than center-in / center-out. A turbo car with three perforated (not louvered) straight through mufflers should be pretty quiet but still flow very well. I have always been partial to magnaflow mufflers when doing custom stuff.

-Charlie

WarTowels

I didn't find the HKS Silent Hi-Power to be quiet at all. The complete opposite even.

With 3" everything, it's super loud.

The quietest exhaust for the All-trac I've seen is probably the SSAC Twip Tip.

-Towels

Simba

Flowmaster Hushpower mufflers work pretty well, I've used them in a number of applications where noise level was an issue. 2-3 hp difference over an open can or straight pipe.

pg

Were they the PRO Series or the DBx Series? Which one would be better for my application do you think?

CMS-GT4

I wonder if we could get SSA to make their twin tip again. That is sort of the route I am leaning.

CMS-GT4

Thanks for posting. Shame they want too much for it. I should have bought the cheap SSA when I could. My sard is only 2.5 but its loud as hell. I might just buy that cheap 205 system and modify it to fit. I'll start by getting a high flow cat first, and then start reducing sound from there.

I'd suggest multiple mufflers as well if you're wanting quiet while maintaining good flow. Just gotta fork out the $$. I have a 3" Magnaflow on mine, pretty damn loud...I plan on placing a straight-through muffler somewhere in-line eventually to quiet it down.

Hotrodhendrix

phattyduck":g65sovgm said:
The secret to quiet with flow is volume (lots of muffler volume). If you are doing custom, go for a 3" muffler in the normal location, another 3" muffler in the rear resonator spot and as big of a resonator in secondary cat location as you can fit. Offset in / center out would quiet it down more than center-in / center-out. A turbo car with three perforated (not louvered) straight through mufflers should be pretty quiet but still flow very well. I have always been partial to magnaflow mufflers when doing custom stuff.

-Charlie

BACK from the dEaD. For those who search this in the future.

My setup: 3" downpipe back, 24'magnaflow bullet muffler (perforated glasspack looking), High flow cat, Magnaflow straight through perforated offset muffler 14', mandrel bends, flex piece, all soft mounts and basic 3' chrome tip to look stock like. I would not say quiet but deep melow.. For 3' it is quiet with no droneing on the highway. Flow should be great. Total cost 475 from local shop.

~James

Hotrodhendrix

Yeha I need to get one. Although its hard to tell on the phone I may just have to use that. Everyone will hear my suspension noise though.. :doh:

DTE

Anybody know where to get an RSR Exmag muffler? Or know anybody selling one? All i can find is cat back systems for other cars or the Exmag GTII. I want to keep the stock look with a little deeper sound but not attract every cop in the neighborhood. Thanks. (sorry for jacking the thread, figured since its related no need for a new thread).