Dropping rear subframe...

MWP

Hi all,

Im going to drop my rear subframe out sometime in the next few day to install Mario's solid mounts.

Whats the easiest way to go about doing it?
Im just after any tip/hints that will help the job go smoother.

deecee

loosen nuts/bolts then use a decent sized jack under the diff to hold subframe in place, undoor nuts/bolts then lower jack and roll out.

MWP

Drop the rear struts with it, remove them from the hub, or remove the hubs from the control arms?

mike325ci

first your question: disconnect control arms from the hub. keep your struts there attached to the hub. in fact, you can leave the axles/diff on the car (supported by jack stand as DeeCee stated).

if you're just doing the mounts/bushings for the subframe, maybe you don't need to take the whole thing out of the car... i did it anyways because i was replacing all my other suspension bushings and it was easier with it out of the car... plus it's easier to take out the bushings and press the new ones in when the whole thing is out.

if it's never been dropped before (most likely scenario), then the lateral control arms's bolts will be quite seized to the subframe, so better to just disconnect the control arms at the hub, not the subframe. helps to have 2 jacks working-- one for the rear diff housing (pumpkin) and one to control the subframe itself (lowering it).

you will find some photos of the job here on my album: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 7ce475aac7

good luck...~ it's not an easy job... i've done it twice already on both my alltracs haha...

klue

definitely not easy. Impact tools, heat, and swearing help.
Wear your goggles, last thing you want is a hunk of rust in your eye(ask me how I know)

Follow the above suggestions and you'll be fine.

MWP

Thanks guys!

Hopefully itll be an easier job than it was for you guys.
We got no snow here = no salt = no or very minimal rust.

MWP

All going well so far... except one possibly big problem.

The front right long bolt/stud that holds up the subframe has come loose from the body :shock:
This will be fun to fix :(

deecee

i'm trying to think which one you are talking about, but i'm going underneath the car later. But overall, if the bolt is spinning, then you're really really going to have a lot of fun getting nut off and fixing the spinning bolt.

I was helping a friend with his honda trying to put an under body brace on and broke the welds on the bolt that was welded to the subframe internally.
Let's just say.. 3 weekends, salvaged subframe from pick and pull, pulling apart a lot of suspension and the car, an angle grinder and a hell of a lot of work, it was fixed.

Me thinks you'll be bolting the subframe back in properly, trying to see how much thread you have to clamp something onto it, using some heat or penetrating spray and then trying to get the nut off.
Otherwise cutting time which will lead to replacement of something time.

MWP

Got it all sorted, thanks.

The rear two bolts are fixed to the chassis, the front two are accsessible under the rear seat which was why one was spinning.

Will get it all finished off tomorrow.

MWP

So i got my solid rear subframe mounts installed.
Wasn't an easy job, but at least i didnt have to drop the rear struts and diff out to do it.

Its the first time ive dropped out the rear LCA's, and to my surprise, all the bushes/bearings look brand new :D

I took the car for a hill run this morning, and the car does feel more precise.
Almost the same kind of effect as having a slightly larger real anti-roll bar.

I braked late & hard into a sharpish RH corner which caused the back to step out a bit... was very controllable.
Quite confidence inspiring :)

Oh... and the solid mounts have not increased cabin road noise in the slightest :)

The new solid nylon mounts:
eNpVjsFqwzAQRH9F6J54V5JlZX3sIbRgCHXvQVGURFSJgmxDS-m_VybOoXvaebM7jCVDPwNJ4vfgeDtQY4h3Nn8O1YvNbBdcWXwMzrL-A01dCUBYIa5ww_oUw5G9-3LXT4dTtlfPujTdxqF67bZ7AInrt912TlXETyFG3gaCImvizrqLnzU-9HiZroenj8S_5rdSqwHgD_K9EL2QgmI6p71L-ebzM8os9O5G3h4J1gr-jxAClNKgNqIuDSUYMKoRWkqp0aBWoEXd_v4Bm51M0w,,.jpg

Look ma, no subframe!
eNpVjk1rwzAMhv9K8L2N5K-4ynGHskGgLLsX13VbM7cuTgIbY_99Dk0P00nPI-lFlgz9DCSI3YNj7UCNIdbZ_DnULzZXu-BK42Nwtuo_0KiaA8IKcYWbqk8xHKt3X_b66XDK9uqrLk23cahfu-0eQKj12247p0pipxAjawNBQUXMWXfxM-ODx8t0PTznSOxrPitvNQDsYb4XoxdTVEzntHcp33x-RpnF3t3I2iPBWsL_4pyDlBrkhisQKMCAkQ3XQgiNBrUEzVX7-weeiUzX.jpg

Mounts installed:
eNpVjsFqwzAMhl_F-N5Gsh3HVY47lA0CZdm9uK7bmrl1cRLYGHv3OTQ9TCd9n6QfWTL0M5Akfg-OtwM1hnhn8-dQvdjMdsGVxsfgLOs_0NSVAIQV4go3rE8xHNm7L3v9dDhle_WsS9NtHKrXbrsHUHL9ttvOqYr4KcTI20BQsCburLv4mfHB42W6Hp5zJP41n5W3GgD-MN-L0YspKqZz2ruUbz4_o8xi727k7ZFgreB_CSFAKQ1qI2qQKMGAUY3QUkqNBrUCLer29w-dz0zW.jpg

All done :) A few bits got a coat of POR15 too.
eNpVjsFqwzAMhl_F-N5Gsh3HVY47lA0CZdm9uK7bmrl1cRLYGHv3OTQ9TCd9n6QfWTL0M5Akfg-OtwM1hnhn8-dQvdjMdsGVxsfgLOs_0NSVAIQV4go3rE8xHNm7L3v9dDhle_WsS9NtHKrXbrsHUGb9ttvOqYr4KcTI20BQsCburLv4mfHB42W6Hp5zJP41n5W3GgD-MN-L0YspKqZz2ruUbz4_o8xi727k7ZFgreB_CSFAKQ1qI2qQKMGAUY3QUkqNBrUCLer29w-hdkzb.jpg

eNpVjsFqwzAQRH9F6J54V5JlZX3sIbRgCHXvQVGURFSJgmxDS-m_VybOoXvaebM7jCVDPwNJ4vfgeDtQY4h3Nn8O1YvNbBdcWXwMzrL-A01dCUBYIa5ww_oUw5G9-3LXT4dTtlfPujTdxqF67bZ7ALVZv-22c6oifgox8jYQFFkTd9Zd_KzxocfLdD08fST-Nb-VWg0Af5DvheiFFBTTOe1dyjefn1FmoXc38vZIsFbwf4QQoJQu5UQNEiUYMKoRWkqp0aBWoEXd_v4BojFM3A,,.jpg