interest in custom brackets to fit porsche calipers

gtfourtc

The previous pics show the brackets and calipers bolted on to the st185 hub, I dont have a celica so i can do any full on the car assembly pics with wheels. Im ready to send them out to anyone who wants, including all mounting hardware, center rings etc. price 125 shipped.

monkninja

dang, sweet work! I bet they will feel amazing, I would totally buy them, but I just bought new rims and spacers, now I'm out of spending money... :(

alltracshoak

gtfourtc":2qzpobrs said:
The previous pics show the brackets and calipers bolted on to the st185 hub, I dont have a celica so i can do any full on the car assembly pics with wheels. Im ready to send them out to anyone who wants, including all mounting hardware, center rings etc. price 125 shipped.
so the 125 shipped is for the brackets,mounting hardare,and center ring...what year caliper and what type rotor??i might be in to be the test install if you tell me what other parts i need..sorry should of read the whole thread

gtfourtc

no worries, 125 shipped covers brackets, center rings, and hardware. The rotors you need are from the 2004-2009 subaru wrx sti. calipers are from porsche 911 carrera 1999-2006 or boxster s 2001-2006, you need the front calipers for this kit. Let me know as i have designed them to fit on the st185 hub they should be spot on but someone with a whole car can take pics with wheels on.

phattyduck

gtfourtc":3up6ad48 said:
no worries, 125 shipped covers brackets, center rings, and hardware. The rotors you need are from the 2004-2009 subaru wrx sti. calipers are from porsche 911 carrera 1999-2006 or boxster s 2001-2006, you need the front calipers for this kit. Let me know as i have designed them to fit on the st185 hub they should be spot on but someone with a whole car can take pics with wheels on.
The '05-'09 disks are drilled for 5x114.3... Make sure you get '04 STi compatible front disks. :)

-Charlie

gtfourtc

true i forgot to mention that 2004 disks are already 5x100, 2005-up is 5x114.3 you can easily redrill the later ones and some companies sell them with both patterns

toayoztan

I assume there's no need to split the calipers when installing or removing them off the knuckle/spindle?

That's one thing that really bothered me about the front st205 calipers fitted fr the 185.

That, and the lack of a rebuild kit, for the rears too.

Thanks!

Bryan

gtfourtc

It should work with the st165 as well I dont have a st165 upright but mitsuslider got me some dimensions and they were the same as the st185.

Oh and you cannot split the porsche brembo caliper as it is a monoblock 1 piece, the only thing you need to do is swap the crossover tube with the bleeders.

gtfourtc

Also just got done modifying the stoptech wheel fitment guide for the tc it will work for the celica so you can check your wheel clearance with this setup. I can email the pdf file.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

athousandleaves

I would be all over this provided answers to the following:

• 1. Will we need to install a proportioning valve for this setup?
    2. Is this caliper setup compatible with our stock master cylinder or will it have to be upsized as well?
    3. Can anyone with a 165/185 post a review of how these feel?
    4. How close is the STi rotor to the ball joint?

As much as I hate not having easy access to a 205 rebuild kit I really only want to upgrade my brakes once and already own 205 calipers.

gtfourtc, if I was able to supply you with measurements do you think you could produce a bracket to fit the 205 brakes on the 185?

celicat93

I'm interested but it may be awhile. Out of interest for economy in the short-term I just replaced my front pads with standard ones (If my tax rebate had been here, I would have asked for a set now). Looking at the rest of my To Do List, I'm not sure where I would squeeze it in, in the line of priority... My braking is okay for now, but I would like it to be much better. I guess when the rebate comes, I'll go ahead and buy a set from you and hold onto them until I'm ready to pay for the rest of the upgrade. So count me in, I'm supposed to be getting my money within the next month.

EDIT: Oh yeah, what he said (next post up)

My To Do List...
Brakes - Done!
Rust Repair Pass. Door
Sunroof Drains
Tires (wheels?)
Upholstery Repair Driver Bolster (patch temporary?)
Suspension/Struts/Springs-Lower
Sound proofing
WTA Intercooler
CS/RC Bumper/Paint
Turbo Rebuild
Hoses
Belts
re-tint sunroof glass

Mitsuslider

Im sorry gtfourtc I totally forgot about this until one of my rears locked up yesterday. From everything ive seen on my old 91trac and my 88trac the brackets should work. How many kits do you have made and how long is it gonna take you to ship them out?

gtfourtc

hey all sorry i have been lame and not answered all the latest questions.

Mitsuslider: i think i have 5 kits that are ready to go and can ship as quickly as i receive payment.

celicat93 and athousandleaves:

1: no proportioning valve would be needed.
2: it is compatible with the stock master cylinder, piston sizes are smaller than the st205 calipers
3: I think I have sold a set to one person so i will have to pm them to see if they have completed it yet
4: It should be close probably a couple mm, it was this way on my tc with the stock st205 rotors I had to remove the dust shields comletely but had no issues at all.

sorry again for the slow responses school is out now and the fsae race car is completed so i have lots of free time.

athousandleaves

Good to hear back from you gtfourtc.

From what I can recall the stock distance to the ball joint from the rotor is around 35mm... so to go from 35mm down to 2-3mm is a pretty dramatic difference! A 5mm spacer under the hat might just be enough to space it out and make it a bit safer but of course that would play with the caliper's position.

To reiterate, would you be able to produce a ST205 brake adapter bracket for the ST185 if I could supply you with all the measurements you needed?
Its rare to get someone interested enough in our community with the skills and access to the tools to build something such as this so it would be amazing if you would be willing to take this on!

gtfourtc

yeah 2-3mm is definatley on the close side but not so bad, oh and 35mm sounds a bit too much. stock rotors are 46.2mm deep sti rotors are 52.7 so it sits about 6mm closer. I designed the brake system on the University of Kansas formula sae race car and i had some caliper bolts that were maybe .5-1 mm away from the rotor.

anyways if you can get me precise caliper dimensions I can try to get something to work with the st205 calipers. I know its gonna be pretty tough but i can play around a bit on solidworks. I have a st185 hub/upright so i have those dimensions. did you have a rotor dia in mind as i know you can do a stock bolt on with something around 300mm

UtahSleeper

Glad someone has been able to make a nice upgrade piece for our cars. When I start working on my alltrac (and have money) I hope you will still have some of these kits.

gtfourtc

3tcpower: Oh I imagine i will be around for some time, I still have the dream of using st205 drivetrain to make a scion tc awd.
alltrac.net is probably the only source for real info and perhaps the only forum i can stand. BTW I like you name I have an 82 corolla sr5 2dr that i am slowly trying to work on. more big plans im afraid and yeah it sucks when you have the free time you dont have the moneys.