Leaky weatherstripping?

smog7

Does anyone else notice water dripping from their door speaker holes when it rains? I don't have any speakers in at the moment and I can see water dripping down the plastic and onto my carpet.... Is my window weather stripping screwed? Or is this the result of screwed weather seals within the door?

st185rc

i think there needs to be a sticky for water leaks. mystery leaks happen in our cars far too often. right now i have a leak in the left side of the hatch even after replacing the weather stripping in the trunk. after it rains and after i move the car, you can see water streaming down the side into the rear seats.

damn old cars

smog7":1zr9pm11 said:
Does anyone else notice water dripping from their door speaker holes when it rains? I don't have any speakers in at the moment and I can see water dripping down the plastic and onto my carpet.... Is my window weather stripping screwed? Or is this the result of screwed weather seals within the door?

I have the exact same problem with my car. Primarily on the driver side. I'm suspecting the stripping as well, but thought I'd look around on here before I replace them. Have you fixed your problem yet?

Maybe this thread can get moved to Maintenance/Repair?

DudeMan

Doesn't really have to do with weatherstripping but there's a drain tube in each quarter panel that deposits water from the hatch, directly into the rocker panel..

If anyone wants to save themselves some rust work, I'd suggest routing this tube so it doesn't simply pool in the rocker/quarter panels.

Just thought I'd mention that.

Thanks for the tip...

To access them you have to remove the interior quarter trim? Where do you redirect the tube to? Seems that since Toyota designed it this way, there must be another logical repair (not that your idea is bad)...maybe something in the rocker itself?

toayoztan

92 All-Trac":3ixc72wh said:
Thanks for the tip...

To access them you have to remove the interior quarter trim? Where do you redirect the tube to? Seems that since Toyota designed it this way, there must be another logical repair (not that your idea is bad)...maybe something in the rocker itself?

Yeah, I honestly don't know where the tube is supposed to drain to in the rear quarter panel. I look underneath and dont' really say any hole for this. I plan to route it somehow...unless i figure out what the hell it connects to and if it wont' simply just dump water in the rocker.

Bryan

I'm still not sold that this is where my water leak problem is, but I will eventually look into that rocker issue.

My problem is that I'm getting water dripping out of the door, comes from the between the door panel and the actual door. I think the outer window trim on the door is allowing water to run in between it and the window glass. I can't figure out how else water would get in? There's no other sign of water besides it dripping from the bottom of the door then onto the plastic rocker trim.

DudeMan

Sorry, I kinda went off topic with the drain hose.

To access it you have to remove the rear seats, the panels and the System 10 speakers if you have them.

It will look like this.

P3010003.jpg

Anyways, back on topic.

If I were you I'd just spray the door down with a garden hose, check inside and repeat until you've found the leak.

Maybe remove the interior door panel if you have to.

DudeMan":kl15dau9 said:
Sorry, I kinda went off topic with the drain hose.
P3010003.jpg

Damn, that's pretty bad man. Here on the west coast rust isn't too much of an issue unless you really neglect a car, but I still want to address that hose.

DudeMan":kl15dau9 said:
If I were you I'd just spray the door down with a garden hose, check inside and repeat until you've found the leak

This is what I'll likely do once it stops raining here!

awesome-trac":3kgymb6d said:
are we talking about the weatherstripping between the door mirrors where speakers are usually mounted on?

Yeah, I'm talking about the piece that runs along the top of the door on the outside.