Would like some opinions guys.

Wicked Toys

Bought my trac in Sept of 04 with 113k (3rd owner). After some various car shows, fellow toyota meets and simple nice day cruises I've ended up with 120k. I'm contemplating selling this car yet again. This will be the 4th time I've thought about selling due to either lack of time and money to put into it or at times had no occupation and well needed funds.

It's in great shape exterior, interior and engine bay wise. However the underside is what is bringing certain doom. With your common bills, another turbo awd car and pure lack of time to commit. This car is just rusting away in my garage. I have parts collected to apply but again just no time due to work schedule and other life desires.

Every year I say ok this year I'll drop money into it and get it fixed but some speed bump always arises and nothing gets accomplished. I tell myself that I should just keep this rare car since heck the fact that I own one just makes me happy. But why let a car with potential for someone just die with me. This car deserves some time that I can't give. And well that's why I am here today to just get some opinions on what you guys/girls would do in ones situation. Appreciate any feedback. Enjoy some pics.

SSPX0545.jpg

DSC_0370.jpg

CurrentGT-FourEngine7.jpg

AlltracInterior4.jpg

AlltracInterior5.jpg

GT4Trunk2.jpg

jonnyboygt4

keep it! you'll regret selling it years down the road....it would be a awesome present to your children some day! If it can be properly stored i dont see a real reason to get rid of a clean trac...

LegacyofDan

i would be sad to see you leave the community :(
keep her!

although i do understand your logic in considering selling her...but i believe you are a good owner of that car cause you care about it. Lets say you sell it, and an older guy buys it and you assume that he will take good care of it, but uh oh it is given to his 18 year old son for a High School Grad gift...and he ends up modding it with the cheapest crap mods, and just hacking away at this and that...puts some god awful body kit on it. etc...and just ruins the beauty that is your 185...

let that sink in.

and i am sure you will make the right choice for your 185...sure you may not have the money now(not many of us do)...but maybe one day in the future you might and it can remain in your caring hands :)

...that is just my .02

88gt4DE

LegacyofDan":dmsfwei7 said:
i would be sad to see you leave the community :(
keep her!

although i do understand your logic in considering selling her...but i believe you are a good owner of that car cause you care about it. Lets say you sell it, and an older guy buys it and you assume that he will take good care of it, but uh oh it is given to his 18 year old son for a High School Grad gift...and he ends up modding it with the cheapest crap mods, and just hacking away at this and that...puts some god awful body kit on it. etc...and just ruins the beauty that is your 185...

let that sink in.

and i am sure you will make the right choice for your 185...sure you may not have the money now(not many of us do)...but maybe one day in the future you might and it can remain in your caring hands :)

...that is just my .02

Or it gets wrecked .... I think you should keep it man. Everything you've done to that car is clean. how bad is the rust and were is it ? Is the car undercoated at all ?

celi_wabbit

If your going to sell it? I would suggest to one of the members first, we have a better chance of treating the car right than some Joe schmo from CL. Heck, I'll even buy it (if I have enough money) just to keep it away from someone who doesn't know anything about our cars.

LegacyofDan

^yeah i was even thinking that myself too...but then i realized i have 5 already...and poor as dirt. lol

88gt4DE":1izl1a2o said:
Or it gets wrecked .... I think you should keep it man. Everything you've done to that car is clean. how bad is the rust and were is it ? Is the car undercoated at all ?

IIRC his passenger side front sway bar mount is rusted out

Wicked Toys

Thanks for all the feedback guys. 8)

For those of you who know me a lil better, you know I get caught up with starring time in the face n quick to just sell n hope that someone can provide better then what I can. Trust me last thing I want to do is sell and have one of your guys horrific scenarios come true. I just try to be logical and look at what needs to be fixed and will it end up being more to fix and less parts available by the time I do get to it.

Issues it has is:

:shoots: Rusted out front sway bar mount spreading up floor rail.

Other just basic rust areas from being in the north east, everything would have to be clean prepped n treated and some areas replaced.

Blown rear suspension. Exhaust flex section leaking. And possible front driver side hub starting to go.

Also this weekend found a new oil pan leak.

I have a full spreadsheet of parts and what I plan on doing. Estimated 3-4k, and the main issue is just lack of spare funds and workspace. Time can be made I'd just be a hermit for a bit. But as for now the car will stay with me. And even if I did sell it, first step has always been on here.

97JZA80

First and foremost, this car is really fking nice looking. You cant do everything at once, at least you have the car. The car will be there in the garage waiting for you when you have the time/money. Try to just pick off one item at a time. If your 6-8 months between a mod or fix..oh well...its progress. I find even getting the smallest thing done saves me from wanting to drive it off a cliff

Wicked Toys

97JZA80":l5wokegv said:
First and foremost, this car is really fking nice looking. You cant do everything at once, at least you have the car. The car will be there in the garage waiting for you when you have the time/money. Try to just pick off one item at a time. If your 6-8 months between a mod or fix..oh well...its progress. I find even getting the smallest thing done saves me from wanting to drive it off a cliff

Thanks, really value all these opinions. Like I said I need a smack to the head once in awhile. Hope to have some progress made for the 11 trac n two's meet.

gotno99

I would keep her. I am somewhat in the same boat with debating on keeping my ST165. I got this one two years before I had my second son. Now my son is five years old and she is sitting in my back yard without a gas tank in her for the past three years. I just bought my house two years ago and I have four little ones now plus a 02 WRX that as a blow up the tranny. I have dumped 3k to 4k in each car alone over the years. I keep on telling myself that this is the car that turned rally racing around for the Japan market and help start Subaru in the all wheel drive world and rally racing. Also I love it when I tell people that I have one they look at me like sh!# I have heard about the Alltrac but I have never seen one

Wicked Toys

Kids plus 2 AWD cars to maintain. I definitely take my hat off to you for keeping it all together.

And always enjoy when people ask if it's a real one and you can say yes, can't beat that feeling. I like when they ask to sit in it. 8)

lumbercis

My car has VERY similar issues to yours, but not quite as nice exterior-wise...

I would throw away your list and ONLY focus on maintenance. Sometimes the list of things you want to do becomes the real problem and not what you actually need to do.

Also, I got what I considered a very reasonable quote from a place just north of DC that I think I mentioned in another thread of yours (Revision auto), for a little bit more work than it seems you need done. Fix both front swaybar mounts, a hole in the ds floorpan, and replace both rear quarter panels behind the wheel wells with some junkyard replacement panels, then POR-15 the underside... for about $1500. Without the rear quarter panel stuff you could probably get them close to $1000.

Maybe we can go in together and negotiate a group discount. :rofl:

If you aren't driving the car much then just get the rust fixed and park it until you feel like messing with it again. You can save the other stuff until you feel like driving it again and/or have the time.

If you EVER think you might want an alltrac in the future then it's not worth selling, as you will always lose money starting over again. Then again, if you just aren't into messing with project cars and you're sure you won't want another alltrac once you sell it, then go ahead and unload it.

If you ever need an extra pair of hands don't hesitate to ask!
J.

Wicked Toys

Wow never been even close to a $1000 quote, might have to look at they place. But yeah am always in control on basic maintenance just need to focus on fixing n less replacing like you said. I'm just a stickler for when repairing something I like to do a lot in one are at a time....yes I know unrealistic thinking with this car haha.

I know I wouldn't find another alltrac in the decent condition mine is in (minus underside) so yeah this is it for me.

But thanks for the insights. And sure lets press a group discount 8)

Wicked Toys

alternate.eago":3qdoo50s said:
If you do decide to sell it (please don't) i will be first in line. I have always loved how minty that car is...

Dully noted n thanks for the comment. Hoping for a promotion next year and this car will see the light again.