most likely going to go buy an 88 tomorrow.

Rabitz

Hi all, was told about this site, and just wanted to jump on and say hi. I live in SE Portland, and I think I am going to go buy an 88 tomorrow(looking, looking) It does not have an engine, but besides that, it looks really, really nice. and the guy I talked to seemed really cool too. anyway, hopefuly, tomorrow, I will be able to post some pics, of my new baby!

I saw it on craigslist, and could not resist...

can anyone give me an idea of where I might look for engines?

thanks,
JAson

jonnyboygt4

you can some times find complete engines and tranny's on ebay...or seek a jdm importer...or look in the for sale threads ..theres a few built motors for sale also!

2_Liter_Turbo

I take it that you are looking at the blue st165 with wheels? Car looked pretty clean, but seemed pricey for an engine-less car.

Rabitz

I didn't think it was too bad, for what it is...looking and hoping it is in as good as shape as the pics. Plus I talked to the guy for 20 mind or so,and he seemed to really know his stuff. I thought it was weird that 3 '88's show up onCL in 2 days! It seems like it is finally a buyers market. He says it was a show car in Florida, and that it is in really nice shape , so I figured it would be a good start for a roller.

2_Liter_Turbo

Well for reference, I picked up my 90 ST185 bone stock for 3k. Body was perfect, but paint was "well used" lol. That was in Eugene, OR. If you do pick it up, definitely post pics!

187flatliner

yeah i was looking at that one too.......and yes it is weird to see 3 show up rather quickly, yet ive never seen them around at all.

Welcome Jason! That's a beautiful 165 that you're looking at. I've been watching to see if it gets picked up, I'm actually shocked its been up for as long as it has. Engines are easy to find for our cars, but a straight original body/paint like that?? Super rare! Keep us posted!

As far as engines go, I'd give Kris at KO Racing a call. He has some reputable importers. You might pay a few hundred more, but at least you won't get stuck with a lemon engine (he's told me some horror stories...). Also mention that you are buying/bought that 165...he's been eyeing it too 8)

ST165Sleeper

Welcome to the site, i also have been eyeing it if only i had the money id talking him down in price and snatch it for my show car and build my current 88 ST165 for some fun. Please do let us know if you pick this up we'd love to have you join or special club and there seems to be quite a few of us 3SGTE guys in and around Oregon as well as a substantial sized AWD community.

sentraman

Welcome and if you do end up buying the car... Foreign Engines in Lynwood, Wa is where I get all my 3s's from and have never had a problem.