Project CMS

CMS-GT4

I Have a book on engine tuning I will crack open once I get the gauge running. I think the gauge may be what keeps killing the car so I need to check it's wiring too.

CMS-GT4

Fuses look good, but something seems to drain the battery. It all started when i hooked up the aem, so i will start there.

EDIT: I removed the gauge and everything is back to normal. I was sharing a spot on a distribution block to power the aem and another device. I think this was overloading something somehow. When I would hook up the computer it would seem to drain the car shortly after. I am busy with work now, but I will try to get up early in the next day or few and sort out the wiring while it is cooler out. Sucks being stranded. My Z has been at the body shop for over a month, and I don't want to drive the alltrac till its done. Luckily I work from home.

Also I found that I still have the plug for the LEV sensor on the 205 harness, so rather than fooling this like I most usually do I want a working water level sensor in case I ever spring a leak in the intercooler system.

CMS-GT4

I took apart my dash wiring solutions. Looks like I had two hot wires sharing a port and one did not have a ground. I need to get some components but I am going to setup a distribution block for grounds to make a more reliable point. Hopefully I can get this all sorted this weekend.

CMS-GT4

So I started on my wiring. I am not sure what the official name of this would be but I will call it a ground tree.
Rather than the twisted mess I had before when determining my wiring solutions I am now at the stage to do everything proper so it can be finished. The plan is when I say I am done and I install the dash, I do not plan on removing it again. I will need to hook up a few things then I can put this all back together. I need to wire up my water temp gauge, and I need to decide where I am going to mount the power distribution block and switch for ignition power under there. I might need to see how much room the radio would leave me then make a bracket underneath. I also want to add a second power point in case I decide to use it for something like charging ipod, or running my wideband, which i am going to install a car plug onto from an old cell phone car charger.
photoxi.jpg

MWP

Dont....

If any of those draws a decent amount of current, youll end up with a voltage drops on the other cables as well, and introduce problems.

CMS-GT4

What is the difference of using this as a ground over placing a few grounds on a single point on the chasis? Are you suggesting every ground have its own spot behind the dash?

CMS-GT4

So I stripped all the extra stuff out and am back as my normal baseline before the short issue. Now to fix code 54 again, then I can slowly move to each additional item.

MWP

CMS-GT4":27696a1c said:
What is the difference of using this as a ground over placing a few grounds on a single point on the chasis? Are you suggesting every ground have its own spot behind the dash?

Because the chassis acts like a friggin huge cable which has very little voltage drop across it at large currents.
One point/bolt with many cables to it is fine, as long as they all have good contact to the chassis & bolt.

What youve done is fine if its for some simple low-current gauges (dont do this with a WB02 gauge!), but its not a good idea to do it with anything else on the car.

CMS-GT4

Ok thanks. That makes more sense. So I will reserve this for my low power things, like code 54 ground and mechanical gauge light bulbs

Speaking of code 54, I have been taking the whole circuit apart and trying to figure out why it is not working.

I started testing things, since one thing that never happened was the lightbulb never came on.
So I tested my bulbs, and all work. Then I tested my relays and they work. So I hooked things back together and I noticed that the INT wire from the ecu is not working as it maybe should. When I replace INT with a ground the relay works. So I need to figure out what INT needs to do in this equation and I might resolve the issue.
EDIT: I just looked at the 205 BGB and between the oem relay and INT is EA1, which I is earth/ground. I think I run a ground between these it will solve the problem with the relay.

Code54-circuit.gif

I also ran across this page that I will go thru and see if there are any hints.
http://chlichtmannegger.at/dmcvxa.php?q=st205-code-54

CMS-GT4

So you already did it successfully? Did you do it at the ECU? I stripped mine back to scratch and started over and its still not resolved.

aus jd 2703

I did it at the plug. On the loom side not the pump side if that makes sense? Just two resistors and it worked not that I drove it hard as it was effectively un intercooled

CMS-GT4

I am using the 185 harness though and have to do it at the ecu, which is why I didn't do this one. originally. I had tried, and actually found some of the resistors still there today.

CMS-GT4

Whats messed up is I had this resolved some time ago. Then it retuned to haunt me. Part of me wonders if it was ever really fixed and the ecu was being daft at detecting it at first, or I had stumbled onto a temporary solution. Either way, I stripped everything back down to the harness and did the bulb solution to no avail. When I get a chance I will run to radio shack to get some more resistors and give that a try.

CMS-GT4

So before I go any further my memories are starting to come back to me. This is one of the problems I have when taking lots of breaks from projects... I forget lots of information. From what I remember, when you turn on the car it check LEV. So the light that is coming on when I start the car is due to LEV. It does not check for the pump until something like 1800 rpm. The car is just idling. So here is the issue, lev should just ground out and be solved however mine is not resolving via ground. I might have an internal issue. I might crack open the ecu just to see if anything looks fishy. I checked all the wires on the harness and they are labeled correctly. So now to figure out this whole LEV bug.

aus jd 2703

LEV as in the intercooler water level? just run it to ground works perfect.
an no the intercooler pump kick on as soon as i touch the throttle. not even enough to get over 1200rpm and my idle is about 1k.
seriously ground the intercooler level sensor use the resistors. assuming you have the same model jdm engine as u it will work. im currently running the pump as normal but just grounded the level sensor.

CMS-GT4

So I did the resistor mod.... and it it still not working. I did a test and I can feel when the relay kicks over and the ecu check for the pump. The error code comes up before this happens, so this tells me this is the LEV checking. The lev is grounded as it has always been, but I think something is damaged keeping it from working properly. I tried several grounding points and it still did not resolve it. I am going to crack open the ecu and see what I can find out. I need to also find out what kind of values to are supposed to come out of the level pin on the ecu so I can compare it to my own.

EDIT: Here it it is inside the ecu. All the pins are labeled for double checking. The LEV runs to this item and stops. I assume it must continue somewhere else underneath. There is no obvious sign of something being burned out. Not like I expected anyhow. Part of me just wants to cut this thing out and hopes it makes the whole lev function goes away, but I am sure it is more complicated than that.

205board.jpg

Edit: I found this. It might have some useful information for testing.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... %2Fh31.pdf