ST165 Driveshaft by Driveshaft Shop

gotno99

I have been looking for a aftermarket driveshaft for my ST165 for years. Like always no luck in the states. So I just started to get in touch with The Driveshaft Shop done in NC about making a one or two piece driveshaft. They make driveshafts for the mid to late 80's Supra so I thought to give them a shot. If anyone is interested or know of a different company let me know

DudeMan

^ I believe if you have one custom made with lighter material there's less rotating mass for the engine to turn.

Kinda like a lightweight flywheel or lightweight rims.. There was a group by on carbon fiber prop shafts a while ago.

The stock one looks beefy and heavy enough to move an M1 tank. :p

sleeper

DudeMan":27y75ux7 said:
^ I believe if you have one custom made with lighter material there's less rotating mass for the engine to turn.

Kinda like a lightweight flywheel or lightweight rims.. There was a group by on carbon fiber prop shafts a while ago.

The stock one looks beefy and heavy enough to move an M1 tank. :p

Well, i understand that, but since the diameter of the shaft is so small, the improvent is really small.. = not worth alot of money unless you have done everything else to the car and are competing with the car.. ( it takes more energy to get the flywheel to spinn than the driveshaft, even if they both weigh the same.. )

And from his sign, his car is mostly stock....

Dracov

There was a group buy for a one-piece carbon driveshaft a couple years ago: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=25991

I wouldn't mind a two-piece steel driveshaft, but I highly doubt I could get up the money for one even in discounted a group buy. The mass of the flywheel affects the engine's torque characteristic whereas the mass of a driveshaft is just parasitic loss. That would be the general thinking, by my understanding.

gotno99

Yes this ST165 is stock for now. I do have a spare motor and drivetrain from my last ST165. I have already had the motor dipped, board 20 over, CP pistons 9:1 ratio, Carrillo rods, heads port and polished and more to work. I am looking for a shaft that is lighter and that can handle the power/beating. Also I am looking at DSS for my 02 WRX so i figured I'll give them a shot. I started to talk to Frank from DSS and I'm sending him my spare shaft. see what I/we are looking at.

gotno99

Like always you move 5 times in 4 years you miss place things. Can't find the spare shaft so I'm going to pull out this one to send out. Being told there is a two week R&D. Which is fine with me I still need to fix the gas tank and WRX.

built2run

i'd be interested in a carbon driveshaft that didnt cost a f'n grand. i would pay 700 max simply because i can pay 350 for a custom aluminum one (2 peice)