Drag st165 Time to build a 5SGTE!

2of81

Lookin sweet, love the custom parts and the quality of them, that crank sensor bracket looks very nice! Keep up the great work!

Klas

Will run direct fire ignition with Ls2 truck coils. The aluminium bracket I think I will powdercoat black and the coil "wraps" will be red.

The valvecover will be coated shrinkle red.
DSC01766.jpg

DSC01767.jpg

DSC01768.jpg

DSC01770.jpg

DSC01772.jpg

Relocated oilfilter, BIG filter without pressure valve and checkvalve. Will install a cooler aswell.
DSC01778.jpg

sleeper

Looking good..

But when are you going to get this thing on the road? Would be cool to see you sett some nice times with it..

Klas

Thanks,
There are som stuff to be made before I can fire it up. Build the evac system, finish the oiling system,wire the coils, sparkplugwires, etc. etc.
I had plans on building a better exhaust manifold, but I will do that next winter instead.

Hopefully I will have her running soon.

MWP

Did your 5S block have mounting points for the mid transfer case mounting?

Mine does not, so im wondering what to do about it...
eNpVjk9PwzAMxb9KlHtX528z9wYCTiCk9o5CmnWBbK3aTDBN--6kWnfAJ7-f7fds0eBlRoF0DI7WMxqF9NVO33P5aCfyHlxufAzOkqZlRpWqKV7aJ_JwCrErOTBWQFUwTd78D1ENaf2cyHNIKRz7vEsOQxd2583X2C_mEukuxEjrgJBljnLW7f2i2U2n_enweZ8zpL_LWf5uC0Bv5LySaiUZxaEfPtwwHf10tzIrHV2idYewkfC_OOcgpQa55QoEE2DAyIprIYRmhmkJmqv6-gcCfk8i.jpg

Klas

DSC01615.jpg

I ended up with grinding even more of the block than this picture shows.

I don´t remember, but I think that as for the middle bracket, It was just one hole missing.

Can´t remeber, but I think my block had the holes already (inside your green lines)

MWP

Ahh yeah, i did see that photo but didnt notice the mid gbox mount hole just above the chuck.
Damn, i wonder why mine doesnt have any, might have to look into having them welded on :(

Klas

MWP":2o7yfnf5 said:
Ahh yeah, i did see that photo but didnt notice the mid gbox mount hole just above the chuck.
Damn, i wonder why mine doesnt have any, might have to look into having them welded on :(

My block is a 99` camry, and it had almost every holes I needed for brackets.
I would not recomend you to weld the block, as it will most likely crack when you put some force and vibration on it. DO NOT WELD!
It´s much better to make a custom bracket and use some existing holes or drill/tapp holes at a suitiable location.

As for the grinding, 1 grind like hell! 2 Test fit the block to transmission, 3 grind like hell, 4 test fit. Tip, test fit with out the clutch at first, then test fit with the clutch just in case.
I thought I was home free but when I had my block coated, and assambled the tranni and block with the twin disc clutch, it would not fit.

MWP

The problem is, as you can see, there is nothing around that area of the block at all i can bolt to :(

I also really need to have this done. A port added for proper oil cooler flow.
There is no other way to get a decent coolant flow through the cooler. The Gen2/5S way of doing it is no where near as effective as the gen3.
st185blockk911013.jpg

Ugh... a 5S crank in a Caldina block would have been so much easier :(

Klas

FINALLY!!!! I have pulled my thumbs out of my ass and started my new engine :D
And it runs!
Some idle tuning left to do, then tune the antilag.

Klas

alltracst185":33o9lked said:
Looks awesome bro! :D Now get a video of her purring ASAP! Again congrats!!!
Thanks!
A video will come, just have to order a new low temp thermostat (77C) from the US.
Discovered that my thermostat (82C) had really poor flow and didn open as much as I want (poor circulation).
I also need to fix a very small oil leak at the turbo inlet flange.
So, you have to wait a couple of weeks :wink:

rio_cyber

is it snow yet...

where are hi speed winter fun videos of alltrac in the 2 meter snowbanks eviroment
snow videos or ban
drag race is lame

4x4 snow drifts on touge are funnnnn

its fun - incoroprate gt4 od GIS video ;)

:rofl: :wink: :shrug: :pissed: :pissed: :notworthy: :notworthy: :D :oops: :D

Klas

Klas":3qetf2wg said:
alltracst185":3qetf2wg said:
Looks awesome bro! :D Now get a video of her purring ASAP! Again congrats!!!
Thanks!
A video will come, just have to order a new low temp thermostat (77C) from the US.
Discovered that my thermostat (82C) had really poor flow and didn open as much as I want (poor circulation).
I also need to fix a very small oil leak at the turbo inlet flange.
So, you have to wait a couple of weeks :wink:

Well, got my thermostat today. It´s a Gates racing thermostat that they claim fit the 3sgte. NOT :bangshead:
I drilled small holes in a 82 degrees thermostat and installed for now.

dragstang86

Was milling the ribs on the block the only thing you had to do to get it to work with the trans and transfer case? How far did you have to mill it? Mill the ribs down flush to the block? No holes needed to be drilled and tapped on the 98+ 5sfe block?

Did you build that exhaust manifold?

Build looks great btw!