Project CMS

aus jd 2703

no easy outs are a really high carbon steel and u pretty much cant drill them as the drill 'walks' due to the hardness, hate to say it but new dp is almost deffinately gonna be your only option. if it makes u feel better i had a $90 recoil kit actually strip the suspension mount i was actually trying to fix. lol grin and bear it i guess....

Landon

hmm that makes sense. i'm with you though josh... there's somethin you should be able to do. shit, just weld a plate over the stock hole and weld a bung on there.. do you have an aftermarket dp?

CMS-GT4

I hit it with some PB blaster and am boing to let it sit till I get pissed off enough to go Thor on it with a hammer and a punch.

EDIT: I tested a cheap bit on it, and its removing material from the easy out. Explains why it snapped with barely any force. I am going to pick up a better bit and grind this thing out, and finish clearing this hole.

CMS-GT4

I ordered a carbide bit for my dremel and it was grinding it out fairly well. I slipped and the head ran itself under a tight space and snapped off the head. I may have gotten it down enough to remove it with a cobalt bit, but if not I will need to order another carbide bit.

CMS-GT4

I have been really busy with work and trying to get my business going here. Not a lot of time to mess with cars, so I will likely just buy a downpipe and sell this one cheap to someone who wants to futz with getting the old bolt out. I know I can, but I just don't want to spend the time to mess with it. At this point my time is more valuable than fixing this dp.

CMS-GT4

So I hooked everything back up last night and charged the battery this morning. I wanted to just see how the idle changed on this car from switching to the oem o2 sensor.
Bosch o2 gave me an idle of 13.1
OEM O2 gives me an idle of 14-14.1

If its cool tonight, or tomorrow morning I might take it for a spin to see if I still get the dip in idle and the overly rich condition.

CMS-GT4

So I took a run with the oem o2 sensor. Its a bit baffling. The car runs better. sounds meaner, feels faster, but the readings are not much different. This is the same thing I noticed when I installed the sensor, The car got quieter, and did not feel to run as hard.
Its actually a little richer sometimes, and after coming to a stop after accelerating, the idle barely dips to 800-900 yet the o2s are the same as before. mid 12s. Before it was dipping to about 600 and running sluggish. It does seem to be a little leaner at cruising, which is fine to me.
So I guess the real question is, how can readings be close to the same, but the car runs better?

Now I am going to move over to other things needed to be done and work out my parts list so I can stat finishing this car. I am hoping to have the AC fixed soon. Its been tripple digits here and its a bit to hot to drive a non AC car.

Terracar

My theory would be because it was a Bosch sensor. My GT would always run like crap with Bosch parts (plugs/sensors/etc) - switch it back to OEM/Denso and bam back to normal.

-Terracar

phattyduck

The new sensor could be responding faster to changes in the fueling. The normal test to see if a sensor is 'old' is the switching speed of the sensor while at some RPM above idle (fails if not more than X transisitions in Y # of seconds).

-Charlie

CMS-GT4

So now that I feel the car is running as well as it should, I am on to the next items on the list. I am going to start ordering parts for various things. I can't drive it till the AC is done. I am hoping to get info on this in the near future.

• Replace downpipe: Broke bolt in one port and to save time I am going to get a new one.
• Install water temp gauge: Since I have to take out the rad to do the DP I might as well do this now.
• install gauge pod(s): I am debating on if I am going to make something or buy something. I am thinking solara pod for the pillar, or drilling a hole in the key bezel for a gauge. I only have two to display for now.
• Replace clutch slave: I have replaced the master before and I feel like I might as well do the slave and the main shifter bushing.
• Rear camber arms: Right now I am debating on making my own with the 205 rear arms or getting battle to make them.
• Radio: I am going to try and adapt a scion head unit so I can have ipod integration and stay low key.
• Brakes: Finally assemble my BBK

There is much more, but these are the main items for now.
I am doing this as well as trying to get my business started, work my normal job, and prepare to start back at school. Not sure if the alltrac will be done by the end of summer. My bag is pretty full.

CMS-GT4

img1350w.jpg

turbo4wd

CMS-GT4":19cwr5vb said:
I can't drive it till the AC is done. I am hoping to get info on this in the near future.

I'm in the process of doing this now - I'm buttoning things up this week and hopefully I can get it recharged with good ol' R12 this weekend or next.. What state is your AC currently in? was it taken out and put away or has it been in the car but just empty?

CMS-GT4

My A/C has been converted o the newest system and is fully charged. I am waiting on hints to the solution to making the compressor turn on with the 205 ecu in place. From what I have read, there is a good chance that might be known this week.

CMS-GT4

So I hit a picknpull for the first time today. Of course it was a bust. I have given up on these pull it yourself yards. I do think pullapart is far better organized. Its easier to find a car and get in and out. This place was a mad house. Anyhow, the time I waste at these places I might be better off just ordering the parts from online junk yards, or toyota. So That changes a chapter in my car building. I did look at the popup lights of a dodge stealth, there might be some ideas there in the way of making a low rise headlight.

I have also been kicking around a new set of wheels. I have been looking at the 350z 18x8.5 rear wheel for once I do my hub conversion. They are 33et, and would only be 1mm inset from what I have now. They are made by rays and look sort of like the gram light 57c. I think they might be a good option, I am just not sure if I want to go to 18s. I did always like the look of Rene's car with his, so I am considering it.

Right now, I am just waiting on some info on finishing my AC then I will start the ball rolling on the interior.

Track wheels.
71153280.jpg

Old PS I did of Rene's car. I think I had made the wheels larger, so this might give an idea of fitment. I sort of want to paint them gunmetal instead of the mercury silver though.
st185csrounderfullkithj7.jpg

GT4times2

I'm surprised you're still doing the 5x114.3 conversion. I gave up on it after seeing all the wheel options that are out there for 5x100 patterns. :shrug:

Fill us in on your conversion progress. And, about Upull-its, it's been a while since I've sourced anything good for a Celica. I gave up long ago. :(

CMS-GT4

I still do not see a lot of wheels in the sizes I want in 5x100. I see a lot of KO wheels out there like Rota etc... that would work but I am trying to keep my wheel options in the 19lb and less category and in a style I like. Also, going with the rav4 spindle does also make it easier to do my BBK.