Forget HIDs, Forget High Wattage Halogen Bulbs, the future..

Toxygene

is LED headlights!

AS I'm looking to finally resurrect my ST185, I was looking around for headlights for my Father-in-laws Vintage Land Cruiser and I came across these:
693.jpg

103.jpg

At first I thought they were just some cheap rice-shop just for looks kind of thing. Then when I read up on it, it seems that these are the real deal, made out of solid glass and die cast aluminum. I attached the spec sheet PDF below for anyone to look over. This company is legit: http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/headlights/#product=100161

If Chrome is not your thing it seems that since most of their other lighting options come in both Chrome and Blacked out, and since these just came out, that they will probably have a blacked out version coming soon. I can imagine the blacked out option in my head and I think it'll look better.

Attachments

• model-8900-5x7-rectangular.pdf
    98.1 KB · Views: 218

Toyota_Todd

I was curious and dropped them a line. I just got a reply from Speaker.... :twisted:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Brown here from JW Speaker, thanks for your inquiry into our Model 8900 LED headlights-high/low. We are currently in the final stages of releasing this light, and should be available to ship in August.
Final cost has not yet been determined, but we expect them to be under $700 each. We understand there is quite a jump in price from your basic halogen headlights to LED, but if you can stomach the cost, there are plenty of benefits in performance, safety, and longevity. See the attached document regarding LED headlights.
When released, we expect that our primary headlight distributor, JK Chrome in Lake Station, IN will be carrying these. I have copied Bob Clingaman from JK Chrome on this email, you can reach him at their shop at (219) 962-2085. They also carry our Model 8800 4x6 LED headlights and our Model 8700 7” round headlights.
You asked about a "smoke version"... I will assume you mean a smoked lens version. At this time, there is no plan to release a smoked lens version. Typically, a smoked lens is used to scatter the light, mostly in dome lights. The focus and direction of these LED headlights is inside the internal lens.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Thank you for your interest!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Needless to say I won't be getting these anytime soon!!!

Hotrodhendrix

Alot of high end cars went to these a few years back. Just like HID back in the day the will be expensive for awhile. Maybe I will get a set in 10 years. :lol:

st185rc

I keep a bug catcher during summer to get a set of fireflies to light my way through the night. Doesn't get anymore high tech than that

Dracov

st185rc":1mkj5kqb said:
I keep a bug catcher during summer to get a set of fireflies to light my way through the night. Doesn't get anymore high tech than that

Talk about going green with your lighting :)

Simba

FYI, those produce less than half the lumens a HID projector does.

LED technology isn't quite where it needs to be to make a long range headlight work, yet.

XLarge

Simba":111ms51m said:
FYI, those produce less than half the lumens a HID projector does.

LED technology isn't quite where it needs to be to make a long range headlight work, yet.

You´re not up to date. Audi and Lexus use LED headlights for their high end models since two years.

Boo_Guy

First thing I thought was how I could drive around making "pew-pew" noises, then the article mentions starwars right off the bat :lol:

While I find it pretty cool, they say they have a life span similar to LED and I wonder the cash one is going to need just to have to pay when a laser burns out.

Hotrodhendrix

Joe and Keri will be the first to purchase. :lol:

Price will depend on many things. How new the technology is and what is used in its production. The "lasers" them selves are fairly cheap to produce. Now what ever chemical is used to actually create the light who knows. Either way it looks bad a. 8)

bloodMoney

As Simba stated, they are about half the lumen output of today's HIDs, but they are still an improvement over standard sealed beam headlights.

I was actually just at JW Speaker last week for work and they look promising. There are some kinks that need to be worked out as far as material and LED light output, but that will come with time. The one thing that you don't hear about is how heavy these lights are. The back of these assemblies is designed to be the heat sink for the LEDs because they produce heat at the back of the LED instead of the front like halogen or xenon lights. This rear heat require fans and special air circulation channels to get some heat to the front of the light.

All in all, these are looking like a promising upgrade once the price comes down in a few years....

I'm trying to see if I can get ahold a few samples to mount in the car, but naturally they are reluctant to give up lights that are $600 bones a piece.