Porsche Brembo Calipers and STi Rotors

Spectra1

I figured I would post up some pics of my front big brake upgrade. It is not finished yet because my 16" rims were to small so I just test fit the set up to see what it looked like. Once my rims arrive I will be able to give more detail on how it feels. I had no problems with the bracket, fit perfect and everything bolted up easily. I also checked the ball joint to rotor clearance and it is pretty close but I have not yet actually taken a good measurement because my engine is not in the car right now so the suspension is not fully loaded.

Bought the custom caliper brackets from gtfourtc.
For sale thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=40462&start=0
The project thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39533

Here are some pics of the parts and mounting

DRT WRX STi Rotors
DSC_0397.jpg

DSC_0399.jpg

Rotors compared to stock
P4090015.jpg

P4090018.jpg

Porsch Brembo Caliper
P4090020.jpg

P4090019.jpg

Pic of mounting the new steel lines. The Porsche caliper had a hardline mounted here so at first I did not think the celica lines would mate up but they did just fine.
P4090022.jpg

Had to switch this line over to the other side so the caliper could be bled properly
P4090023.jpg

New Red Stuff Pads
DSC_0409.jpg

Caliper put together and ready to be mounted
P4090024.jpg

Caliper and Rotor mounted
P4090028.jpg

P4090030.jpg

P4090031.jpg

P4090032.jpg

I had some pics of the rotor thickness compared to stock but I can find it right now, lets just say there is a huge difference.

Here is the cost break down
2 Porsche Calipers $300 shipped (ebay)
2 DRT STi Slotted Rotors $ 200 (got these on ebay, I did a bunch of reading on other forums and apparently this company makes a pretty good product)
4 Steel brake lines $100 (cant remember where I got these)
Set of front Red Stuff Ceramic break pads $100

Total for front BBK = $700 (not bad for a Brembo 4 pot caliper BBK with massive rotors)

gtfourtc

That looks pretty sweet, It will be great to see it all together once you get you wheels!! Any plans to repaint with a brembo or
celica logo?

Oh one thing you might check is the clearance between the rotor and the caliper pad pins, the porsche rotor is 28mm and the sti rotor is 30mm so you sit about 1mm closer. I had shaved my rotors to 28mm because they were used, i believe you can also file the pins down if you need more clearance.

Spectra1

gtfourtc":m8eu7loc said:
That looks pretty sweet, It will be great to see it all together once you get you wheels!! Any plans to repaint with a brembo or
celica logo?

I think I am going to paint them gold with red Brembo logo. A member over on Ctech had some Brembo stencils from his last brake project that he is sending me so it should look pretty good.

Ill for sure post up a review once I get some miles on the set up. Cant wait!

Spectra1

lalojamesliz":1908kzlh said:
very nice :) i would like to get the same thing but can this be done with the rear brakes also?

Thanks! Unfortunately you cant do this with the rear brakes. Best thing to do with the rears is probably go the st205 route.

gtfourtc

hey spectra1, I am about to repaint some STI calipers, have you found a good high heat gold paint? I have been reading the countless forums about the honda inca pearl being the only option to go with as far as matching the original subaru sti gold, however this paint is not going to hold up to any amount of brake heat. So after a few more hours searching for high heat gold i cam across this....

http://forrestpaint.com/index.php?page=hi-temp-paints

i cant remember but it was a Nissan GTR forum that turned me that way and specifically to the copper color and it is supposed to be a great high heat paint match. I should be getting the paint in a couple days and will be testing it out to see if i like it, and i will let you know and post pics of the results.

Spectra1

gtfourtc":y2k1ahxi said:
hey spectra1, I am about to repaint some STI calipers, have you found a good high heat gold paint? I have been reading the countless forums about the honda inca pearl being the only option to go with as far as matching the original subaru sti gold, however this paint is not going to hold up to any amount of brake heat. So after a few more hours searching for high heat gold i cam across this....

http://forrestpaint.com/index.php?page=hi-temp-paints

i cant remember but it was a Nissan GTR forum that turned me that way and specifically to the copper color and it is supposed to be a great high heat paint match. I should be getting the paint in a couple days and will be testing it out to see if i like it, and i will let you know and post pics of the results.

Thanks for the info. Let me know how it turns out.

gtfourtc

here are some pics of the gold painted calipers I just finished up.

dsc00835yd.jpg

dsc00838fs.jpg

dsc00842s.jpg

dsc00910h.jpg

I did base gold from a company called stove bright its their copper color. Then i used honda inca pearl it was a little darker and had more flake in it. I got my inca pearl from expresspaints.com the will mix any paint code you want and i got it formulated for wheel paint to be a bit more durable. It holds up to the heat as well, I baked on the high heat clear at 500 degrees.

Spectra1

That gold looks really sweat. I changed my plans and now I am just going to paint them silver with a red brembo logo because my wheels that I just bought are gold. The 18s should be in in the next few weeks at which point I can finally get this mod installed.... then I will need to uninstall them for the rest of the winter as my winter wheels are 15s :cry: . Ill post up pics when everything is done. Also anyone else doing this upgrade if you get done before me let me know if I need to file down the calipers pins to fit the new rotors. Also let me know if there is any ball joint clearance issues.

Here is a link to a pic of the new 18s that are going on the car, I just picked them up from pat (that is his back car in the picture).
viewtopic.php?t=15906&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

alltracshoak

gtfourtc":1b8vtsj0 said:
here are some pics of the gold painted calipers I just finished up.

dsc00835yd.jpg

dsc00838fs.jpg

dsc00842s.jpg

dsc00910h.jpg

I did base gold from a company called stove bright its their copper color. Then i used honda inca pearl it was a little darker and had more flake in it. I got my inca pearl from expresspaints.com the will mix any paint code you want and i got it formulated for wheel paint to be a bit more durable. It holds up to the heat as well, I baked on the high heat clear at 500 degrees.
how do you go around baking this? how about the rubber seal by the piston/cylinder that pushes the brake??i just finally picked up some calipers for your brackets, in need of help on how to get this painted and slap them on my car

underscore

whats this about flipping that line over? I just got my calipers this week so I'm trying to prep everything before my rotors arrive.

underscore

yes I know that, it just wasnt in the instructions I have so I'm wondering what kind of loctite or sealant I should use on the parts, it looks like there was some on there originally?