My 90 alltrac project ( being parted out )

celigts

Hey members,

So recently finally bought the alltrac ive been wanting for sometime.

So here is what has all been done from what I remember and what I've been told.
The motor has been rebuilt at around 170k and now the car has about 250k so the rebuilt motors got about 80k on it.
The tranny has been reworked and machine to stock.
All the drivetrain bushings have been replaced I believe.

Or than that the car has the stock turbo. And hks turbo timer and hks boost controller I believe doesn't work lol

I've recently had a problem with a coolant leak tho.

I have a question about that. What cooling unit is in front of the main rad under the plastic cover. After driving it it sprays. Not like crazy but it does enough to notice it.

As for goals on this project I'm looking to one day get up to 600whp

Im not sure whAt I'd like to do first. I was looking into starting with getting solid motor mounts.

I'd like to know also if tmi is best for all season use or would a fmi be ok?

Also wondering what I could do to lighten the driveshaft to the rear end. I've heard of carbon fiber shafts and aluminum ones. Anyone have experience with or ideas about this.?

Well I hope to hear from some members and get some help with my project.

Terracar

celigts":1jjmopkl said:
I've recently had a problem with a coolant leak tho.

I have a question about that. What cooling unit is in front of the main rad under the plastic cover. After driving it it sprays. Not like crazy but it does enough to notice it.

I am not recalling a cooler in front of the rad that would have coolant. But on the right side (passenger) there it the power steering cooler and on the left (driver) side there is the tranny cooler. If you could post up some pics of the item that sprays we may be able to help you further.

As for goals on this project I'm looking to one day get up to 600whp
A nice goal, will take alot of blood, sweat and tears, oh and a big wallet.

Im not sure whAt I'd like to do first. I was looking into starting with getting solid motor mounts.

First and foremost should be all preventative maintenance. Check the wheel bearings/fluids/brakes/tune-up then move to mods.

I'd like to know also if tmi is best for all season use or would a fmi be ok?

This is really personal preference. The stock one will do you fine at this point.

Also wondering what I could do to lighten the driveshaft to the rear end. I've heard of carbon fiber shafts and aluminum ones. Anyone have experience with or ideas about this.?

There is a company that makes a carbon fiber one piece driveshaft for our cars. DarthRipley or some of the others who have installed it will have to chime in on the experience. I believe there is a post about what it took to install it.

Other than that good luck and post up a project thread so we can watch your progress. Also where are you located?

-Terracar

celigts

Wow thanks alot for the reply! Ill post up some pics as soon as I can.

I'm located in Winnipeg, Manitoba in Canada

And as for goals and stuff am I do some of the right things? I already know I definitely won't be one of those ricers.
I'll have my car checked out when can to see and make sure all the mechanical parts in the drivetrain are all good before I proceed into anything.

Oh and forgot to add how well does the stock clutch hold up? So far I've noticed that it definitely has potential to slip and wondering what stage I should go with. This will be my daily driver for the next year or two for sure.

I'm also interested in putting wheel spacers on the rear to level in out with the fenders. Could I just drill some stud wholes in some steel and use that or would that be a big no no

Terracar

Right things for your goals all depend on personal choice really. Starting with a solid running engine is always a good choice. A solid foundation and less things to sort through should something go wrong.

Stock clutch holds well enough, but if it is already slipping, you may want to replace it when you can. I am not sure what the time frame is for your mods, but if you plan to stay relatively stock for a couple years, I would recommend an upgraded clutch, but nothing too wild as it would be pointless unless you have wild upgrades in the near future. A small upgrade will take more abuse than a stock replacement.

As for the wheel spacers, I would suggest saving for a proper set. Drilling holes in the steel won't guarantee that it is properly balanced or that it is up to handling the abuse.

-Terracar

celigts

Alright. Thanks alot for the info. !

Do you know what would cause the cars idle to drop when I put it into neutral after highway speeds? Would this be the tps sensor or mas sensor cuz the Rpms also bounce a little.

Ok ex: going 100km then clutch and put into neutral Rpms go from 3 to below 1 to almost 0 then to regular. Does that moving in traffic as well.

celigts

Well sad but good news.

I have a blown head gasket :( so plans have obviously changed a little and could take a turn for the better.

I'll be doing a complete swap for a Jdm 3sgte motor and tranny. I've priced it out and to change my head gasket and crank case seal it'll cost me just as much as swapping. So this will give me a spare motor to rebuild and mod to my wants while driving a stock but better condition 3sgte motor and tranny.

celigts

More pics

Attachments

• New motor in car.jpg
    New motor in car.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 4,419
  • Old motor in car.jpg
    Old motor in car.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 4,419
  • Baby on hoist.jpg
    Baby on hoist.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 4,419

celigts

more pics :)

Attachments

• What goes here.jpg
    What goes here.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 4,419
  • Interior dash.jpg
    Interior dash.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 4,419
  • Seats.jpg
    Seats.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 4,419

celigts

more more more

Attachments

• ATrac1.jpg
    ATrac1.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 4,419
  • ATrac2.jpg
    ATrac2.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 4,419
  • ATrac3.jpg
    ATrac3.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 4,419

celigts

more Pics!

Attachments

• ATrac4.jpg
    ATrac4.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 4,418
  • Mia and Celi.jpg
    Mia and Celi.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 4,418
  • Gts and Celi.jpg
    Gts and Celi.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 4,418

celigts

Well mainly no but there is a few places that rust is starting up from previouse owners. Otherwise nope. I have an hks manual boost controller under the hood I need to hook up yet

celigts

Update.

Been awhile since I updated this or even looked at it haha.
Last month the turbo finally bailed on me or I have a huge vacuum leak cuz my turbo started stuttering at and after 8psi under boost. Anything under that it ran fine but gas mileage went to shit!! So swapped it to find the one I swapped with was also cooked so now my bov stopped working but gas is better. So generally same turbo problem.

Also just received my ASI aluminum rad :) and ordering the cusco lower support brace from the group buy.

Also be buying some speed source poly motor mount inserts cuz from removing the turbo I noticed that one was toast so I'll be needing new ones soon.

Going to also look for a new manual boost controller cuz I was told recently that mine was missing parts and makes sense cuz it wasn't even working when I tried upping boost.

celigts

I'm also changing my goals slightly by only looking to get around 300awhp. I've realized that my 600hp goal was way over the top haha

Also won't be looking to get the CF driveshaft yet or even at all.

So the next mods I'll be doing is to first place fix my turbo problem! Then replace the tmic to the fmic setup. What size intercooler should I be looking for with my new goals.

celigts

Update:

Well it's winter now and have no motivation to clean my car lol but manage to do a few things at friends places and when parents aren't home.

So replacing/replaced the stock intake bendy fittings with some 2.5" IC pipe I had from an old alltrac I bought cheap but was a mess!
Waiting on some vibrant vacuum fittings for the silicone connectors to get my vacuum back to normal.

Since I swapped the turbo my bov stopped working for some reason tho. Boost is better but with my vacuum problem I can't tell for sure if the turbo is blown also or if it's just a vacuum leak but the turbo stutters under 8-10psi?

Also found out now after finally getting my trd black shifter with the badge on each side that my stock shifter shaft has been haggard and cut down to give the short shifter effect. So now I guess I'll be looking for a proper short throw kit.

That's the scoop for now. Any feedback is awesome and suggestions are great too :)
Peace!

celigts

pics of some 8mm spacers i added tonight

Attachments

• Without 8mm spacer.jpg
    Without 8mm spacer.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,748
  • With 8mm spacer.jpg
    With 8mm spacer.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,748
  • Asi rad2.jpg
    Asi rad2.jpg