OutToWinPAHC's 1990 ST185 Build thread

OutToWinPAHC

I am the second owner of this 1990 ST185 Toyota Celica All-Trac. I picked with up with less than 80K miles in good shape. The only issue is the drives seat has a leather tear, and a bad body repair where it was backed into. I purchased it off a woman who purchased it New in 01/1990. The car has been dealer serviced only with full records.

BC racing coilovers
GT4 wide body fenders
Carlos Sainz front bumper with fogs OEM
54trim turbo upgrade by pure turbos
OBXR Equal length turbo manifold, and 3 inch downpipe
3 inch DP back exhaust
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit
Pads rotors and brake hoses
All accessory belts (gates)
Plugs, wires, cap, rotor (Bosch)
T-Stat, hoses, gaskets (OEM)
Valvecover gasket, oil pan gasket, spark plug seals, front and rear seals, and more
Cometic Metal head gasket, OEM water pump, OEM oil pump
ARP flywheel bolts
ARP head studs
ARP rod bolts
Samco intake and intercooler hoses
Fensport Fuelcut eliminator
ST185 intercooler with HKS BOV flange welded on
Intercooler fan
Real HKS SSQV4
Blitz boost gauge
AEM Uego wideband

To buy
AEM trueboost
AEM FIC
750CC injectors
FPR
Whiteline Sway bars
Possible UltraRacing braces ( if they make them )

Goal 350AWHP... my other car makes over 500 and only 2700 lbs so this one doesn't need to be nuts. I know the hood vents are backwards.... not an issue I am not driving it I am stock piling parts for the build then having the front end and rockers panels repainted.
dd523272.jpg

57261afb.jpg

d741521e.jpg

OutToWinPAHC

We'll finally got it into the shop for working on it. Motor and trans come out tomorrow and the build starts. It's all prepped and ready for pulling. Head will be sent to the machine shop for check and possible milling

List of parts going on/in

In the parts pile
BC racing coilovers
GT4 wide body fenders, extensions and front bumper with cooler fogs
OBXR Equal length turbo manifold, and 3 inch downpipe
Fensport 3 inch DP back exhaust
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit
Pads rotors and hoses
All accessory belts
Plugs, wires, cap, rotor
T-Stat, hoses, gaskets
Valvecover gasket, oil pan gasket, spark plug seals, front and rear seals, and more
Cometic 1mm head gasket, OEM water pump, OEM racing oil pump
ARP flywheel bolts
ARP head studs
ARP rod bolts
Samco intake and intercooler hoses
Fensport Fuelcut eliminator
ST185 intercooler with HKS BOV flange welded on
HKS SSQv3
ATS Throttle body inlet
XXR 527 8.25+35
Nitto Invo 215-45-17's

I also have a driftmotion 54trim ct26. Keeping stock turbo until I figure out what I will use to runt he car. Most likely AEM

OutToWinPAHC

Holy crap what a PITA to pull the motor and trans out as a whole from the top but we did it. Dirty thing, clean engine bay, time to get cracking.

OutToWinPAHC

Any some pics of my clean up, this weekend were gonna separate the motor and trans. I am going to be cleaning a bunch more stuff too (LCA's, cross members, motor mount brackets and parts as the motor comes apart).

Before
e98ca8fc.jpg

7e053cff.jpg

After
ebbdb1b0.jpg

f4fb97e5.jpg

193fe51a.jpg

Working AC left intact
52361d64.jpg

And work to be done
ce118cc9.jpg

b0a14463.jpg

9fd9e117.jpg

9f086d97.jpg

11facfbe.jpg

59fb4bb5.jpg

22e0387b.jpg

Parts Pile
9115d3d6.jpg

tubasteve

Looking good, i like the 235-x-17 i have forgot sidewall size.

If tire up the a/c so not to stress the hoses

OutToWinPAHC

Its sitting on the trans jack, hard to see. But im excited to get it done, i have been working on the skyline a bunch. but this car is just so cool imo, dirty yes but i got it from the origional owner and it only has 87k on it. Irs going to be a mild hp build i only want 300-350 whp on the 54trim eventually.

OutToWinPAHC

I drive a dodge ram most all the time. Brand new, company truck, free gas, maintenance, tolls, plus I dont give a crap if it gets dinged or dirty lol.

But the R33 will be my bigger power, but cruiser to meets, or random drives. The ST185 will be my lets take this today car that I also want to autocross.

OutToWinPAHC

Engine and trans separated today, harness removed, intake removed. So now it's time to get to cleaning the motor, then trans. Motor will be masked and painted then broken down. Head is going to BMS for cleaning, inspection, and some basic work.

Pics
a4786126.jpg

OEM turbo and manifold
bbf1be88.jpg

Dirty trans
d8bda792.jpg

Engine sprayed with degreaser, gonna get to it this week in the evenings
1b3ec9bf.jpg

8912b8b6.jpg

cb1930f1.jpg

29c4ae9e.jpg

No wonder the clutch slipped, it was well into the rivets
66769d70.jpg

183330c6.jpg

5e9d7183.jpg

6db75024.jpg

OutToWinPAHC

Block cleaned, decked cleaned and checked, head installed, new oil pump, waterpump, TVIS and intake back on, getting ready to install timing belt and rod bolts. Also going to replace most of the cooling and vac lines once I figure out what is being retained.

ab3af7d8.jpg

e5ff38f4.jpg

217ab3af.jpg

b87195b8.jpg

Coating done by LPC

OutToWinPAHC

Updates Motor and trans are back in the car. I sent my turbo out and had it upgraded to a 54 Trim, but using a 11 blade GTX billet compressor wheel. It's coming along, manifold and downpipe as well as my skyline manifold and downpipe are out being ceramic coated. I am using a OBX chinese manifold which we rewelded and cleaned up with a carbide bit. Ceramic will fix the rust issues they have so it badass on a budget

OutToWinPAHC

Oh and I have not yet decided on injectors or ECU for now I am going to run it on a AEM tru-boost stock injectors and ECU. I am between AEM EMS-4 or just taking it mild with AEM FIC which I think is an awesome piggy back seeing it also taking timing control and has it's own map sensor for secondary mapping over the AFM. If I go FIC I will use a Nissan Z32 N62 MAF and the power goal will be 350 wheel. I am also thinking cage.... 10 point DOM Formula D spec which will be more than enough for my autocrossing events.