Brand new clutch slipping in a 91 Celica.

nightcrawler52

I just put a brand new clutch in my 91 celica all trac turbo. The clutch slips badly with new clutch, (turned)flywheel. I don't understand it's a brand new clutch and flywheel. The motor isn't that strong.

nightcrawler52

I'm not sure what the brand is, all I know about it is it's a stage 2? I bled the clutch from the slave cylinder at the nipple, I bled it a few times, with the same result. I think the clutch slave cylinder is not going back to the fully engaged position. Because where the clutch fork sits right now I can push the cylinder by hand closer to where it should be. I have to wait until Thursday to get the slave cylinder. Hope it works. This is the first time I have ever dealt with a hydraulic clutch.

Why can't things be simple to work on(like my mustang lol)

phattyduck

How much do you trust the place that turned/resurfaced your flywheel? It has a stepped surface, and if the mounting surface for the pressure plate isn't the correct depth from the friction surface, it could cause the problem you describe...

Did the clutch system otherwise work before the replacement?

-Charlie

nightcrawler52

I'm not so sure how much I trust them. But I haven't heard anything bad about them, so I guess that's up in the air. Well I was doing some research about problems with clutches on these cars and I ran into speed-source.net I ordered an extended clutch slave cylinder pushrod. When I get that in, I'll go ahead and replace the slave and the rod at the same time. Hopefully this is a quick $40 fix. I'll keep posting when I get the parts.

phattyduck

Bleeding, a new slave and the extended pushrod will help with DIS-engaging the clutch. This sounds like there is reduced clamping force on the clutch.

How bad is it slipping? Can you kinda drive it, or will it not even get out of the driveway?

-Charlie

nightcrawler52

I can kinda drive it. It slips pretty bad through 1st, and 2nd. And this is pussy footing it. It definitely is a clamping problem. I read a tech article about someone replacing there slave cylinder(because it was leaking) and they had the extended push rod laying around. After install and proper bleeding they reported that the clutch will engage closer to the floor. That's what I think I need. Because my clutch won't start engaging past the halfway point from the floor. I know having an extended pushrod it would seem that it would give me the opposite of what I want. But according to the article it makes the clutch engage sooner.
I'll call speed source tomorrow and talk to them about my problem and see if there extended pushrod will fix my problem. Thanks for taking interest in my post.

nightcrawler52

I got in the speed source extended pushrod today and installed it with a new slave cylinder. I bleed everything properly(a few times) and I even played around with the pedal adjuster. But I'm still slipping. I don't really have any reason why I should replace the master cylinder. I'm kinda stumped right now. There is no reason why a brand new clutch(no matter what stage it is should be slipping this bad on a pretty much stock 91 all trac.
This leads me to think that the mechanic didn't install something properly. i.e didn't torque the pressure plate properly, the flywheel is remachined unevenly, something is wrong with the throwout bearing. I really don't want to pay to get this re-taken apart. I don't have the proper tools to do this in my garage. Plus I've never dropped an turbo engine/transaxle before. I've removed engines and transmissions before in mustangs, but that is just too easy.
Any help, suggestions on what I should do or what's going on? Anyone in the killeen/ Ft. Hood TX area?

MrDB

Take it back and tell them to fix it...

Could have put plate in wrong way ?

Didnt they test drive it before they handed it over?

Should have taken it straight back TBH as soon as you drove it ...

d0yougetme

Had a similar problem on my st165. After adjusting the clutch pedal to engage closer to the floor( basically adding more free play), problem went away.

muskokagt4

I was just gonna say it sounds like an adjustment issue. When I put my clutch in i couldn't get it into gear. Adjusted it and now it's mint. Super easy to do

Theman88b

Had the same problem on my st165, take the adjuster all the way out so there is no pressure on the TOB fork. If there is hardly any pressure on the fork and it still slips, you have a disc/pp problem. If you had a slave problem it would be leaking.