Front LSD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying Bajan

Ladies and Gents...

Been talking to the folks at M Factory about a front helical LSD for our cars. They seem keen to have a go at it and would require a minimum of 10 units to be ordered.

What they need now is some good, detailed photos of a front diff out of a ST165, 185 or 205 to get an idea of ulitmate feasibility and costings.

Anyone have or can point me in the direction of such photos ?

Also, anyone interested in a helical front LSD, please chime in here so I can determine if we have the numbers interested to make it work.

CMS-GT4

I am a bit covered up right now, but I am sure Martin (gtfrour77) posted a bit when he was trying to get one made. Like everyone else, it all depends on the price.

concealer404

The price will be in the $700-$800 range more than likely. Will include new bearings and hardware. Likely will NOT include new ring gear.

(No, i'm not involved in this buy, but just was for another one of my cars.)

CMS-GT4

That price range would be fair. I need to read up more on the company and see what kind of quality they are known for.

celicat93

Yeah, it sounds interesting to me, though I don't ever have traction problems except in the winter and I'm going to stop driving my AT in the winter. I guess I'll wait for a price too.

CMS-GT4

This isn't so much about traction for being stuck, this is for corner exit traction making us faster.

concealer404

CMS-GT4":2fa1olpg said:
That price range would be fair. I need to read up more on the company and see what kind of quality they are known for.

It's good stuff. The Honda guys have been using this company for years. I bet they could be persuaded to make custom final drives for you guys as well. (Currently talking with them about a 4.68 F/D for my race car.)

Their customer service is pretty awesome, too.

CMS-GT4

If they can make a 4.6 FD cheaper than Phoenix in Japan then they might have some interest from the MR2 guys as well.

Flying Bajan

You have not lived until you have driven a powerful AWD car with proper front and rear LSDs... You can drive them with SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more commitment it's unreal. It's much easier to bring them back from over the limit with a good front diff.

Anyone with a link or good photos of the front diff area ?

underscore

I'm very tempted, I assume it would work with the RC as well? More info on the benefits of the frontal LSD would be nice for us noobs.

Flying Bajan

Aside from more straight line grip for the big power guys, in terms of cornering, when the car gets sideways, you can point the front wheels where you want to go and use the throttle to pull the car where you want it to go. It also helps to balance the car better, reducing oversteer on corner exit and giving better drive out the corner.

All proper AWD rally cars have some form of front lsd and either a rear lsd or a spool in the rear end (not taling about those with active front and rear diffs of course). I've driven a Group A evo III with 340bhp and 450ft/lb torque (34mm restrictor on max spec Gp A engine) on several events both with and without the front LSD installed and the car was MUCH quicker and planted with the front LSD installed.

The ex-works group a ST185 that I was privelleged to drive briefly once also had a front LSD (and center and rear too).

Usually, plate diffs are used in rally cars, but a helical diff is more suited to street driven cars as less maintainence is required in the form of replacing diff clutches, etc.

Flying Bajan

There should be basically none, just normal changing of the gearbox oil (where the front diff lives) as there are no clutch plates, etc in a helical diff.... Think Quaife ATB guys.

underscore

Pretty slick, I can put the more standard parts on hold if this would be possible to get. Would it pair up fairly well with the RC rear diff?

Flying Bajan

Would be a nice compliment to the torsen in the rear, but for really serious sideways action, an agressive plate diff in the rear might be a good idea (unfortunately they need periodic - depending on severity of use - maintainence).

concealer404

You guys do have other options for these cars, right? I'm just assuming, because i have an aftermarket Helical in my E153...

phattyduck

concealer404":2hgvbepj said:
You guys do have other options for these cars, right? I'm just assuming, because i have an aftermarket Helical in my E153...
The front and center diffs in the AWD trans is in the same space as the complete front diff on the E153. Its a little hard to tell from the pics that I posted in the other thread, but there are multiple concentric shafts and two sets of spider gears in there... The transfer case area (where it would seem that the center diff would be housed to the less-informed) holds the ring and pinion to put the power to the rear as well as the center viscous coupling unit.

-Charlie

Flying Bajan

M Factory are indicating a price point of approximately US$ 1,000. This would of course be for a complete unit that houses both the front and center diffs.

This is as far as I remember a LOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT cheaper than the original TRD /TTE diffs and actually is less than a Cusco rear plate diff.

What do we need to do to set up a group buy on here ??? Any info from more learned individuals than I greatly appreciated.