Project CMS

CMS-GT4

I went for a drive today to get some missing bolts for my new shift knob. This is the first time I drove the car with a radio in it in over 5 years. Car runs great. Feels much more "solid" with the interior installed. I am now going to start messing with stuff to do in the engine bay so I can wrap this bad boy up.

photo1tb.jpg

GT4times2

The car is looking good. Are you sure you want to get this freshly painted beauty on the road during the winter?

Salt, snow, no fault accidents, slippery roads :doh:

Man, I don't know. I'd look for a rust bucket and use it for the winter. Or you can always get a used (bare/bone stock) Subie Legacy or GL10 as a winter beater. :|

It's funny how you're ending your build :( . It's getting a tad bit better on this end. I'm looking to do some work on mine, once it starts getting cooler. I can't stand the heat, and being in the sauna, I mean garage in the summer is no joke.

Maybe, you'll have time to Photoshop mine with the colors I'm considering. It's overdue for paint. I'm hoping this "winter" it'll get done.

CMS-GT4

If it gets driven in the snow, its only to get to class. If we go anywhere we take my wife's car. The roads are such here that even in good weather I am selective on where I drive the car.

What color are you thinking of painting the car? Photoshopping did not help me with my choice very much, which is why I stuck with an oem paint. I was able to hunt down cars in that actually color. That is why I ended up with a thread of photographs of other cars to compare. I took all the photos at the same time of the evening so the light was close on all of them cause even photos can be deceiving.

CMS-GT4

I got a bit of under the hood stuff done today. I wanted to adjust the headlights but I can not get the thumb screw below to turn. I would hate to snap it off. I cleaned most of the paint dust out of the bay, installed some of the trim, and flushed the radiator. I took it for a ride tonight, and sometimes I get a code 42. Its from the speed cut defender. I am wondering it is working at 100% or if that is how it works sometimes. I am likely going to change out my clutch slave tomorrow, and maybe mess with the speed cut.

photo1ry.jpg

GT4times2

CMS-GT4":2nd2dusk said:
If it gets driven in the snow, its only to get to class. If we go anywhere we take my wife's car. The roads are such here that even in good weather I am selective on where I drive the car.

What color are you thinking of painting the car? Photoshopping did not help me with my choice very much, which is why I stuck with an oem paint. I was able to hunt down cars in that actually color. That is why I ended up with a thread of photographs of other cars to compare. I took all the photos at the same time of the evening so the light was close on all of them cause even photos can be deceiving.

Smart move, lol (taking the wife's car :) ). I know how the roads up North and in the Midwest can be. I wouldn't want to drive my Alltrac in NYC anymore. I'm down to 4 colors. They're all oem paints. No custom mixes.

Here is color number 1: The pic is not the best. It was taken with my phone's camera at my son's school. I didn't want to look too suspicious when taking the pics. It belongs to one of the teachers. I love the color, but will it look good on an Alltrac? I have been thinking about staying within the Maroon/Burg shade lately, instead of an all out color change. I want to do the engine bay and interior myself (taking my time, doing it right), then let a pro do the body.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is color number 2: I like it on the E350, but will it cut it on the Alltrac? I'm a bit wary about it. I like though, but not sure what it'll look like on an Alltrac.

Then, I also want to go this color. It's up there with the TL Maroon in terms of preference.

And finally, the alternative to all the Maroon/Black cherry colors. A color that needs little to no intro:

What do you think?

CMS-GT4

Honestly after painting my car, I would never do another color change. you will always find hints of the old color, weather it be hidden somewhere on the chasis or interior. As for colors, in my opinion I think the maroons are better than the black cherry colors. I feel like a lot of the curves and lines fade away on the darker cherry color. There are a few really nice examples of maroon 185s in the post your car thread. Simba's, tingfrompradu's, and 2_Liter_Turbo's maroon cars are some great examples.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=39344&p=376490#p376490

From now on, if I ever buy a car I will buy it in the color I want.

CMS-GT4

We changed out the slave cylinder today. I kept the extended push rod I bought a while ago. When I first installed this RC tranny it shifted wonderful. Then my master cylinder went and I got it replaced and it never felt quite as great again. Well its like a dream now. I was going to get a 205 tranny but now if anything I will get a standard final drive when I get my front lsd and clutch. I decided I am going to pull the speed cut defender for now. Its not working like it should and the error code is effecting the car so I am going to run without it this winter and worry about it next year.

I am also looking at this method for making a rear matt for my hatch and maybe the air guide for my radiator.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... 797&page=2

I think I am also going to pull the door off my 6th gen cubby and use some plastic hinges to make a cover for my boost controller.

Anyone have suggestions for a fire extinguisher and mount?

CMS-GT4

Today I pulled the speed cut, and fit all the interior screw I can find. Now I have a list to order for tomorrow. I took the car for a quick drive. You can hear the exhaust here. I forgot my camera mount so the video is a bit sloppy. I'll take some better ones later in the month once I am finished. I saw 15psi today for the first time. Must be cause of no error codes holding me back and the cool weather. Once I can find a good water overflow tank, I will install my water temp sensor and my boost controller. The car is pulls harder than I expected. I think I am going to be happy with it for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_6wyL0tQik

CMS-GT4

Thanks. Now I need to figure out how to get my cigarette lighter out of my old bezel and how to make the wining go away from the stereo. I think its due to un shielded rcas.

CMS-GT4

I got it out. Once I took it apart from the inside I was able to take it out.
ciglight.jpg

I also installed my door control module. It was the last of the electronics I had to mess with. I hope I can get my key fob to work. I also tried an experiment to shield my rcas. I was getting some noise at low volume and speeds. I read up on shielded cables and sheaves. I did not want to spend 50+ on a wire sleeve, so I wrapped it in foil, then some tape then a wire tube, then zip tied it. Seems my noise cleared up. I had read an article on electromagnetic interference and one bit of it mentioned tin foil, though it was not for this application, but it seemed to work. I only hear a hint of the noise sometime at low speeds and low volume but it is drastically reduced to almost nothing. I also found a color on my radio that matches the green on the clock. I always hated how aftermarket head units had a different display color and look to the rest of the car. This headunit matches fairly well. Once my new lighter ring gets here I can wrap up the interior. Now I just need to find a good shape radiator res or figure out a way to clean my up. I have cleaned it several times but it still has a residue of that bad fluid from years ago.

CMS-GT4

I have been thinking about getting a custom front emblem made and I have also been thinking of a simple trd emblem. I would rather have nothing but I have a single hole to cover up. Here is a quick PS of one I found that I like. Its black and silver and might blend well. Its just over a 1/2 inch tall so it won't be too big. What does everyone think? If not this, then I would get something made about this size.
http://www.amazon.com/Emblem-Badge-TOYO ... 386&sr=1-7
img1389kjv.jpg

I am also wanting to put something under the car so you no longer see the ground. All the materials from plastics to metals are all too expensive, so I found this. Its a little wide, but I think it can be cut down to the size I need.
http://www.andysautosport.com/toyota/19 ... 00114.html

Another option is to buy two small sheets of stainless steel and make something from that just to make the lower section covered.

I did find one made for our cars, but of course it is in europe.
http://www.gt4-racing.eu/index.php/toyo ... nder-panel

CMS-GT4

If I knew where to get a piece of metal that size I might try it. So some news on the car, I replaced most of the nylon hose from my bost gauge with silicone and the car is even better than before. There was a kink inside the fender where the nylon was bent, and I think air was leaking there. I also rigged up some underfender extenders on the driver side so the plastic was not rubbing my tire. Now the only sounds from the car are awesome sounds, less the rattle from the battery tray in the trunk and that is on the list.

CMS-GT4

Not much to update this weekend. All my parts got here from toyota so I was able to do a little bit. I got the powerpoint fixed and installed as well as my hatch weather seal. I went to a welder and he said he can not weld a stud on my downpipe where I need it. He thinks the weld will keep it from being flush. He was too busy to do what other stuff I needed done. I am going to wait till my new battery tray comes in then I will get him to do some studs for that as well. I picked up another dremel carbide bit. This time one in a better shape, and it ate through that easy out like it was nothing. Now I need to get the rest of the bolt out then I can decide what I can do with the O2. I will either drill it bigger and retap or I will try and save the threads in there. My wife had some co-workers over this weekend and one was a toyota tech for 13 years, and he had never even heard of my car. I knew there were alltracs but had never seen the celica one. The car blew his mind. He wants to go for a ride once I sort out the O2. I am still deciding what I am going to do with the undertray. I am sort of leaning towards getting a wind splitter and fixing my UK splitters to make something like this.

frontwindsplitter.jpg