sMARTINside's Tercel

sMARTINside

Hi to you all. I decided to make a thread about my "other" car. Since you are Toyota addicts and that I have another Toyota project, I thought that I should talk about it here.

I own a Toyota Tercel, since 2004, and through the years, I have modified it to get it to my taste. At first, the car started out as a daily driven econobox to go to school. It has become a Time Attack project car that can be driven on the road.

PA210535.jpg

Here is a list of the modifications that I made to it:

Engine/Tranny: EP91 Starlet powerplant: 4E-FTE engine/ C56 gearbox
Brakes: Big Paseo brakes in front with Hawk Hp plus pads, Rear EP82 disc brake conversion
Suspension: Rear Whiteline sway bar, K-Sport Coilovers, 3.8 degrees of caster and 1 degree of camber in front, Front strut bar
Tires: Bridgestone RE-11 on the track 205/50R15
Looks: Wings West body kit

2004-2006: Daily driver, stock
2006: 4E-FTE installation
2008-2009: Lapping car: starting to love the track!
2010-2011: Local Quebec Time Attack competition (2nd and 3rd in my class)
2012: Time Attack, hoping to perform better!

Since 2008, I have learned a lot about driving a car fast, and this car has been the best school for me. It never let me down.

Here is the car, in July 2004, when I bought it:

coupcot2.jpg

And these are some pictures of the car, on different race tracks 2010-2011:

Quebec, Sanair:
IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_0946-vi.jpg

Quebec, St-Eustache:
P6182238.jpg

IMG_1603-vi.jpg

DSC06772.jpg

DSC06615.jpg

Quebec, ICAR:
IMG_0229-vi.jpg

P1010164.jpg

Nova Scotia, Atlantic Motorsport Park:
_MG_0760.jpg

100_4176.jpg

pic_1015.jpg

This last track (AMP) is my favorite, in all the track that I have driven. It's got 11 curves and a lot of altitude variations.
Track-Overhead-800.jpg

MWP

Thats a Tercel?? Looks great :)

We only ever got one model of Tercel in Australia (the 80's wagony ugly 4WD thing).
Looks like a big car for the little 4E-FTE. I know the 4E-FTE can be strong (i had a EP82), but it must lack torque to get that car up and moving quickly?

CMS-GT4

I have not seen that body kit in a long time. If you hold you hand over the picture to hide the front fenders and bumper, the car looks like an older 3 series.

sMARTINside

This body kit isn't the Tercel Blackhawk edition. The Blackhawk, called Tercel Sport in Canada, only has small sideskirts and a spoiler added. Here is a comparative between a Blackhawk and my Tercel:

Sportpetit.jpg

MTypepetit.jpg

This urethane kit is made by Wings West and simulates a E36 BMW M3. They made it for the Tercel, because this car has many aesthetics that comes close to the BMW. So Josh, you are right about the similitude.

P4267169-2.jpg

About the 4E-FTE. It has a lot of torque and I don't run a stock setup. I made many mods to upgrade the engine without touching the internals.
- raised the boost to 9 psi.
- bored the wastegate to prevent boost creep
- upgraded the exhaust manifold to a better flowing one, and a downpipe + a 2.25" free flow exhaust
- installed a ACIS intake manifold from a 5E-FHE (like TVIS, opening at 5000 rpm), for better low-end torque
- relocated the air filter to the front bumper
- a secret intercooling system! previously a FMIC (WTA, since last week!)

On the dyno it gave this with my FMIC setup:

MartinVincentmaxhp.jpg

124.42 whp @ 6000 rpm
125.76 ft-lb @ 3000 rpm

My car weights 2160 lb, so yes, it is quite heavy, but that little 1.3 liter engine is enough to pull this little rocket fast around the tracks. On a drag race, it made 14.09 @ 96 mph. And YES it surprised a lot of better cars on the road!

So here is the 1.3l with it's SECRET intercooling system: I got this intercooler off klue, a while ago.
PA210522-2.jpg

PA210525-2.jpg

PA210524-2.jpg

PA210526-2.jpg

This is with my old FMIC setup:
P4277198-petite.jpg

The engine when I received it:
IMAG0003.jpg

Heat exchanger with air filter:
PA210528-2.jpg

The main reason why I chose to change my intercooling setup was that I wanted less lag. My older FMIC setup had too much volume, so the time it took to build pressure in the piping was too long to my taste. Also, I wanted to get some space in front for fog lamps and a windshield washer tank.

sMARTINside

Yes, I tried the ST205 setup that I bought from you on that car, and I really like the loss in lag that it gave me. Thanks!