Project Stormbringer

DudeMan

How often do cams get worn down enough so they are no longer in spec?

I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild but I neglected to measure the cam lobes.. Does it really make a difference?

Looks like you have a fair bit of work ahead of you, good luck.

Though I have to say, I've thoroughly enjoyed freshening up my engine, definitely one of the 'funner' parts of the project.

Dracov

Dan: 1st gen 3S cams won't fit any of the other generations. Plus they'd be a major downgrade even if they did fit.

As for how long until they're out of spec I have no clue. I just decided to get a full set of measurements on these to see what they're like. This engine's about 14 years old give or take.

wakkjobb

Dracov":570td83h said:
Dan: 1st gen 3S cams won't fit any of the other generations.

I say BS: I have a welder; we'll make em fit.

Look for bushings next week; finally got to the shop today and actually remembered to toss em in the car for postage business.

>>Dan

Dracov

It's been far, far too long, but finally I have started piecing the ST205 engine back together!

First, two things I noticed when pulling the head: CRAP TONS of sludge on the pistons. No idea what was going on there. And, also, the original honing is still very, very intact. It's like this engine was transported through time from 1998 and suddenly manifested in 2010:

100_0752.jpg

Teehee, block serial number:
100_0755.jpg

Anyway. Parts that came in over the last monthish: ARP studs, a 3G 3S-GTE gasket kit, and Engle valve springs:
100_0750.jpg

I also picked up a Toyotool. I have to say I was pretty skeptical of it at first...I don't exactly have upper body strength. And the instructions for it are painfully uninformative. Regardless. Got the head setup with a chopped tennis ball holding the valves up and layed out the new stem seals:

100_0751.jpg

On the left, stock ST205 valve spring. Engle valve spring to the right:

100_0754.jpg

Tall freaking springs. It's like they're crawling their way out of the head!

100_0757.jpg

And with a little futzing around I get my first spring reinstalled!

100_0758.jpg

Half an hour later or so, all 16 springs, stem seals, retainers, shims, buckets and 32 tiny little keepers are back into place at last:

100_0759.jpg

In retrospect, I LOVE that valve tool! It's magnetized so you won't lose the keepers during disassembly, plus it works for installing the stem seals themselves. I'd recommend this to anyone over using the C-clamp style spring compressors. :)

Now that that's out of the way I can work on this more than I have been. Hoping to get her ready for winter.

wakkjobb

Welcome to AT.net, you have to start an introduction thread before a build thread. :twisted:

Pics of this elated valve spring tool?

And I still haven't sent those bushings but I am looking at them right meow... sure are dusty.

>>Dan

Dracov

wakkjobb":3j1ey6iw said:
Welcome to AT.net, you have to start an introduction thread before a build thread. :twisted:

Pics of this elated valve spring tool?

And I still haven't sent those bushings but I am looking at them right meow... sure are dusty.

>>Dan

Meow? You going pussy on us or something? :D

Valve tool is be at: www.toyotool.com

And if you're going to ship the bushings, better do it soon as I'm moving at the end of the month. If not just let me know and I'll tell you once I'm at the new address.

UtahSleeper

Bought time you start working on her again!!! lol, like I have room to talk. My 165 is still waiting for her time.

So, getting a house, or different reason for the move?

And what made you decide to rebuild the head since the motor looked to be in good shape.

Dracov

Because I don't trust anything. It's still a motor from a junkyard no matter how you look at it. And the last thing I need is to drop the engine in, bolt it all up, wire it in just to find out it's billowing oil smoke.

As for the move it's financial. Can't afford the place I'm at now so I have to downgrade :( But I AM getting a garage still! Though it also means I'll have to ditch the Supra. I can take one car with me, and one of them will be a lot easier to resurrect than the other.

Once this is done I'll have to track down new water and oil pumps for this thing...oh that's going to be so much fun, I can just see it.

Dracov

Yeah, have to get rid of it somehow. She's in pretty bad shape and I was hoping to revive her, but I just can't afford a storage unit to hold her for however many more years it'll be before I can afford that project. I'd like to get one again later though. Absolutely the most comfortable car I've ever been in. And straight-6, mmmm.

Dracov

Nahh. Bought an oil drain valve just like I did for the old engine but I bought the wrong thread pitch, M12 x 1.5 instead of M12 x 1.25 which is what the oil pan wants. Ah well. I'll worry about ordering another one after the move.

Supra got towed away last night. I kept the climate control since I did my own LED conversion on it and loved the results. Hoping to find another MA70 someday. On tonight's menu: Put a few more things together on the engine, drop the valve cover on temporarily so the cams don't get screwed during the move next week. I hate moving....

wakkjobb

Sorry to hear about the Soupra; there are plenty of them out there though... that's what makes our AllTracs special. Few people know what that means; fewer parts people too. :D

Dracov

Not much to say as yet. Today we got the 'trac towed over to the apartment. The garage actually DOES have enough room to have her in there and work on the engine at the same time!

So, while researching I found that the 3rd gen 3S-GTE had two types of water pumps. One had the usual stamped metal impeller, and the other had a Group A resin impeller. This engine isn't a WRC one, so far as I can tell, but it did come with the cast resin water pump. Interesting little tidbit. :) So now I have to go find another one. So far it doesn't look promising unless I can convince some Aussie to help me out with dropping by a local dealership

Dracov

meh I wanna be picky. So nyah :p

And toward that end I finally got some parts in that I've been waiting on!

First up, power steering underdrive pulley, because I don't want to wrestle the wheel in parking lots and I feel it's stupidly over-assisted in stock form:
100_0796.jpg

And the rest of the parts! Clutchmasters FX300, timing belt, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, hydraulic tensioner, Walbro 255LPH fuel pump from another board member, and a new water pump:
100_0801.jpg

Yes, it's the ST205 WRC water pump with a resin impeller...partly because the engine already came with one and I'm not interested in downgrading:
100_0802.jpg

Lastly, a shot of the old water pump just to get a clear idea of the shape of the impeller. And ST185 vents sneaking in on the shot :)
100_0803.jpg

All I really have left to get are hoses of all sorts, stuff to adapt the wiring harness, a heat exchanger and a battery. Hoping to get her back on the road this summer. Wish me luck!