165-KISS

nw94rs

photo-8.jpg

photo-10.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

Hello,

I don't have access to the email or password of my old account, either way this is my handle on other boards.

This is my celica, It has parts from every 165 I've ever owned. I'm putting it together to daily for a bit. I'd like to keep this car simple. The car will soon be on its way to AMD in Woodinville for some motor work.

st165-alltrac

i like the headlight conversion looks clean. :D i want to do it one of these days myself. im also in washington. im might have to have you show me how to do it sometime.

UtahSleeper

Are you the one that tried to get the car dipped, but it didn't remove enough paint?

Also, how did you do the headlights?

nw94rs

Yeah I still have that shell. it's in the second photo. I sent that car more as an experiment if there was an alternative to blasting locally, we also got a deal on doing two cars at once. The dipping worked well on the paint, but not on the undercoating. I'm going to sort this car first, and make revisions to that shell.

IMG_0220-1.jpg

http://vimeo.com/25563609
The second car we dipped, ended up being sold to PSI in Oregon & became this.

nw94rs

I haven't worked on this car in a while, just been swamped w/ work.

However last week I got the itch to start working on this thing again.

With the help of my buddy Jim we built a composite splash mold of my roof, this required welding a plug into my sunroof and about 40 hours of bodywork to get it completely smooth. After that we laid on our fiberglass. we let it sit a few days and popped it off, waalaa a perfect mold of my roof, now w/ no sunroof. After that I drilled off the original roof. Hopefully I can find some time this week to build the replacement c/f roof roof.

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0171-1.jpg

CMS-GT4

Wow, the CF roof skin is pretty awesome. That would be a great product for the 185 as well. Especially since many of us would consider ditching the sunroof for extra headroom and less weight.

Is this just going to be a personal project or is this car meant for racing?

nw94rs

CMS-GT4":qge4lwfz said:
Wow, the CF roof skin is pretty awesome. That would be a great product for the 185 as well. Especially since many of us would consider ditching the sunroof for extra headroom and less weight.

Is this just going to be a personal project or is this car meant for racing?

No production plans for the roofs, If I could have ordered a sunroof less roof skin from Toyota I would have. Unfortunately they stopped making 4th gen parts quite a few years ago.

As far as the goals w/ the car, I plan on driving it this summer on the street and racing it next fall/winter.

nw94rs

I haven't updated this in a while.

I finished the frp roof........then I saw that crash at pikes peak this year, and figured that might be a bad idea especially considering that was an aluminum roof. Regardless I trust welds more than I trust rivets and glue so I bought a theft recovery non running gt-s that was sunroofless, and took what I needed.

EBA3FA0F-7301-44E9-9619-F4385DCC9F7A-4623-00000750D69179C5.jpg

nw94rs

This car was originally a buddies car that never got around to finishing it. He had originally planned on a 600+hp setup for this car, but I have no desire for that kind of power. This car has parts from all my other Celicas hence its Zombie Car moniker.

My goal with this car is to keep it simple & drive/finish it for the winter. come spring time I plan to tear the car down & cage it, paint it, & fit a 2az from the scion tc.

floor0.jpg

Here's a photo from about three months ago. I got the car from my friend as a rolling shell & installed a jspec 1st gen I had in my red car. I didn't really know the conditions of the motor so when it started up & ran strong I was more than pleased. This photo is the first time it left my shop under its own power. Missing just about everything other than drive train lol.

floor1.jpg

I wanted to install bucket seats in my car but this is next to impossible with the bulkhead that runs across the floor, unless you want the seats touching the roof. So I cut a section of that out & made a new floor & welded in supports.

floor2.jpg

I had these slugs drilled & tapped at a local machine shop & welded them into the lateral bars.

floor3.jpg

Here's what it looks like finished. I primed everything top & bottom & re-under coated the bottom of the floor. I'll paint it all inside & out come spring time.

floor4.jpg

Here's what the seat looks like installed, Nice and low. I skipped installing a slider as that's generally the first weak spot of a aftermarket seat. This is the most rigid seat install I have ever experienced, zero wiggle.

floor6.jpg

Here's a photo of the car as it sits today. I got rid of the cladding that the american cars came with, installed the side skirts off of a convertible, and installed the trim & mirrors off of a gt-s.

I have a small list of things to do before she is road worthy, but I will keep this thread up to date.

nw94rs

61903A0E-6AD9-4274-8C77-D4D3C62A1F65-1955-0000026DB025D667.jpg

Today I worked on making a mold to make some carbon door panals. My seats have wide shoulders and barely touch the door panal, these new panals should give me more seat clearance. I'm making the middle flat for door bar clearance come spring when the car gets caged.

I should have both molds finished by next week. I also got the car registered and insured so I can legally take it on the street.

squarepant5

very interesting, nice to see a completely new approach to the restoration process. don't normally tend to see too many planes in the background either.

thanks for the thread and please continue to update us; looking forward to further developments

nw94rs

4487A8E9-A6BF-49D2-8FF6-DEB1A9CDB1CB-3630-000004507C367FC1.jpg

We converted the car to a manual climate control, it was a bitch. It required buying everything under the dash from a standard st162 I found at the yard. There was also an entire day spent integrating the wiring from 162 to the 165 harness. I'm pretty happy with it. The stock 165 climate control is terrible looking, there's nothing worst than an 80's car trying to be a 90's car. The system is about 4 pounds lighter and a almost 2" recesessed where the a pillar bar will go, come spring Time when the car gets caged.

I also converted the doors to manual roll ups. I doubt there is a full pound saved in this conversion, but once again the roll up switches from the 80's look awful. On my red car I used 162 complete doors to save me from having to weld the holes for the cladding. I'm happy to report that the guts are interchangeable.

While I was messing with the interior harness I also depinned the following:
Antenna
Speakers
Rear wiper
Rear squirter
Door indecators front & rear
And I'm sure I'm missing something.

88gt4DE

Now thats something different and a damn good idea ... nice work. stupid auto climate control ...