ST185 and mr2 engine harness the same?

knowitall

I recently purchased an st185 that did not come with the engine wiring harness. Will the mr2 wiring harness have all the necessary connections i need to make my car run properly? I can't find an st185 harness for sale. Can I use a jdm harness? What are my options? I did search but couldn't find the answer. Sorry if I am just bad at searching.

Brett

The part of the harness going to the ECU will be too short on the MR2 harness. Also the MR2 has its alternator where the alltrac has its power steering pump so that harness will be wrong also. Not sure if you can get it around the valve cover to the stock alltrac location or not. I have a used 90 - 91 harness and a new 92-93 harness sitting in my basement that I could sell you. Have to go look at the used one but not sure if it has any of the subharnesses (one to alternator and the water outlet). I know the new harness doesnt have them. Your best bet might be to have your MR2 harness extended for the alt and ECU runs by Dr Tweak as stated in previous post.

knowitall

BoostedBlueToyotas,

The used harness is off of an mr2 or an alltrac? If it's off an alltrac, please let me know how much you are willing to part with it for and I will consider that as my first option. Extending/fabricating the alt and water outlet sub harness will not be an issue for me.

So, basically, both harnesses have the same connections, just in different places (celica and mr2), assuming they both come off of the same year 3SGTE?

Thanks for the responses guys, you don't know how much I appreciate it.

I have:
1 new 90 alltrac harness (not really interested in selling yet)
1 used 90 alltrac harness
2 (yes 2) new 92-93 alltrac harnesses
1 new alt sub-harness (might have 2)
1 new waterneck harness (might have 2)

Also have a new gas tank, mario subframe bushings, TRD mudflaps, some carpet sets, etc

Dont ask, I have been doing a little parts hoarding :). I did (do?) have a parts for sale post buried somewhere in the FS section. Eventually I will be selling the stuff, Pretty sure I am going to decontent my alltrac (Take off the Teins and Willwood big brake kits) and sell it and all the parts I have accumulated. Going to the DC auto show will probably push me over the edge. Been eyeballing an Audi S4, BMW 335xi, or Lexus 350 awd so dont need 2 awd cars :)

knowitall

BoostedBlueToyotas":o7fulbwx said:
I have:
1 new 90 alltrac harness (not really interested in selling yet)
1 used 90 alltrac harness
2 (yes 2) new 92-93 alltrac harnesses
1 new alt sub-harness (might have 2)
1 new waterneck harness (might have 2)

Sounds like you have quite a collection! Well I do not have any of the engine harnesses so i guess i need 3, engine, alt sub harness, and water neck harness. The car is a 1988 but i assume they are interchangeable. I will be more than happy to start your new car fund by taking those items off your hands if you would be kind enough to part with them. Let me know what you want for them. If email is easier, you can email me. Thank you so much.

brett@san.rr.com

They are not interchangable. The ST185 has the FI (resistor and ?) boxes on a different harness, there is no WTA intercooler (so no connections). If you have a ST165 then you need to talk to Dr. Tweak or find a GOOD used one . I know the ST165 harnesses get brittle where they go over the cam cover to the alternator.

knowitall

Sorry for the late reply, its due to the holidays. I emailed dr. tweak for a quote.

Lets say he could not get me one. Will the turbo mr2 harness have all the correct connections, just in the wrong places? If this were the case, assuming I have the know how, could I cut and splice the harness to make it work for me? Basically, will it have all the correct connections is my main concern.

P.S. Do I have an st185 or an st165?

Thank you.

Brett