Track day prep

aus jd 2703

Wanting to take my gt four to a track day soon so what are the things I should do and those that I must do? Are there any mods necessary? Ie cooling or brakes? Thanks guys

CMS-GT4

If you have to run stock brakes, make sure everything is in good condition and swap for some higher temp dot4 fluid. Get an alignment, make sure your cooling system is up to snuff.

sMARTINside

Make sure that all your fluids (power steering oil, engine oil, transmission oil, prestone, brake fluid...) are in the right level and bring some spare of each fluid, in case you lose some.

Also check your tires all around to be sure that they are in great shape and you don't get a surprise nail in them on the track day. Check the wheels also to make sure they have no deformation or cracking.

Check also your exhaust system hangers and rubbers. They have to be in good shape (not cracked). I saw a couple times exhausts falling on track days.

For brakes, make sure that there is still enough thickness on your pads. If they are close to 1/2 the thickness of brand new pads, replace them. When a pad is getting slim, it has less capacity to dissipate heat. So your oil will heat up and the pads may lose they grip, for getting too hot on the surface. I have experienced that many times! Brand new pads deliver confidence and peace of mind. I would pay a special attention to the brakes, on this car, because it is heavy.

You should also check that your car has no slack in the suspension bushings. Jack the car up and move the wheels by hand to check the ball joints, tie rod ends, lower bushings and wheel bearings. Do that on all the corners

Good luck :)