Project: Force Fed GT4

klue

Hey guys and gyals,

I decided to do a quick little write up on the car that I'm working on at the moment. Since I have never actually taken the time to do a my project for myself, I choose my second favorite car. The car is a 1990 GT4 straight from Japan. Condition is excellent inside and out, a real pleasure to wrench on VS the rusty Canadian cars I'm used to building. For a little back ground, the car was previously "stock" and running a GT2871 turbo kit. With upgraded management,fuel, inter cooling and suspension the car was able to muscle out a mid 13 sec pass. When I was first introduced to the owner it was already set up and running mediocre. He had it built and tuned at a local tuning shop and the work was sub par. They complained that it was running lean and thus was developing minimal power. Sadly, the shop just did not know apples from oranges. After some quick tuning with the management system we rekindled the missing power and the car was running great. This was short lived as I suspect the months of running lean took a toll on the pistons. After getting the extra 40-50 ponies they let go.

With a few tear drops and dollars in hand we set out to build a bad ass, force fed GT4. Guide line for this build was strictly give her hell. The whole build is based around the turbo charger. Selecting a Garrett GT35, .63 for the pumping duties. Forged pistons and rods will hold the ship together, and a rebuilt head to flow the air. Lots of custom parts on this build, and a few top secret mods :smokes:

IMG-20110727-00014.jpg

Im going to add the pics slowly so bear with me :)

If your interested in seeing more up to date info you can log onto the club site at http://www.prydeauto.com
Cheers

Here is the block right from the Machinist
PICT3143.jpg

Pumps on, and tucked nicely between a st165 and st184T
PICT3304.jpg

Custom EGR block off for the USDM head we sourced
PICT3317.jpg

HFH
PICT3318.jpg

3sgte donor head, vs a d17 honda. both with instructions for the machinist
PICT3313.jpg

waiting for the head to come back
PICT3306.jpg

B4 pic of the rollers, 18inches of JDM drift
IMG-20110804-00007.jpg

klue

Rpz123isme":y39gqyd6 said:
No bake and shot peen on the block?

It looked baked when I got it, but it wasn't shot peen'd. Do you mean shot peen the block, or bores specifically?

More pics

IMG-20110721-00010.jpg

IMG-20110721-00008.jpg

Manifold all ready
IMG-20111001-00117.jpg

klue

Skip ahead a bit cylinder head is mounted
IMG-20110828-00069.jpg

TVIS eliminator
IMG-20110828-00070.jpg

Got a nice competition light weight flywheel 11.9 lbs
IMG-20111003-00129.jpg

klue

Here is the long block assembly, almost fully assembled. Think I was doing the valve clearance at the time. Used the later revision 3sgte cams to keep the VE broad across the band. The cams are properly timed stock and with our combination of parts creates a interference motor condition.

Running tein coilovers to control the wheels. You can see the new SS brake lines, painted up everything pretty

Here is another pic, the ARP wheel studs are in to accommodate our 18inch spinners

klue

Here is the long block assembly, almost fully assembled. Think I was doing the valve clearance at the time. Used the later revision 3sgte cams to keep the VE broad across the band. The cams are properly timed stock and with our combination of parts creates a interference motor condition.
IMG-20110816-00040.jpg

Running tein coilovers to control the wheels. You can see the new SS brake lines, painted up everything pretty
IMG-20111001-00120.jpg

Here is another pic, the ARP wheel studs are in to accommodate our 18inch spinners
IMG-20111001-00119.jpg

klue

Running the gen3 cams, shim'd to my specs. Still using the shim over bucket set up. May end up doing the head again when we have a intake manifold which can support more RPM

Engine button'd up on the stand
IMG_2566.jpg

Bully st.4 clutch mounted, light weight flywheel and ARP bolts holding it on
IMG-20111003-00132.jpg

Ready to drop
IMG_3018.jpg

IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3010.jpg

mixer72

every thing looks rely good mate all you need now is to have a header tank and swirl pot set up for the cooling it helps a lot :)

scuba

If you dont mind me asking; where did you get that exhaust manifold from? It looked to have a name brand on it, but I was unable to tell what company made it! You car is sick man, I love the interior, and the use of fire shielding around your oil lines near the downpipe; very ingenious!

klue

scuba":14kwlfac said:
If you dont mind me asking; where did you get that exhaust manifold from? It looked to have a name brand on it, but I was unable to tell what company made it! You car is sick man, I love the interior, and the use of fire shielding around your oil lines near the downpipe; very ingenious!

Thanks for the comments, I wish this was my car tis not :(
This is just one, of MANY cars Built for a great customer and long time friend whom is a member here should he feel to chime in. The manifold,downpipe, and screamer tube is custom built by a local fabricator, who's work is top notch. We will be producing our own manifolds this summer so should you be interested let me know.

This car is intended to take a whooping, thermal management is the primary cause of engine failure. Weather it be internal due to knock, external due to improper shielding, or electrical overloading it is always the primary concern of any race/street high performance vehicle. Those whom over look this usually end up on the curbside, ask me how I know :p