help! how to disassemble torsen rear diff

FabZ

hi!

i'm redoing all my seals and bearing on my st185. i have the optionnal torsen LSD.

by now, i got the diff off the car and opened it. i have the BGB which says to use a SST to remove de side shaft (where the axles bolt)... from the pic, the tool looks like a simple shaft with a massive bushing that slides on the shaft. i've fabricated a tool buy it seems to not be working.. i tried to pull it out with 2 pry bars too but it didn't worked...

anybody ever disassembled a torsen and knows what i'm doing wrong?

thanks!

I have done the axle seals on an open alltrac differential and they just popped out. Looking at the BGB it looks like they are basically using a slide hammer to pop the axle out.

FabZ

yeah thats what i was thinking by looking at the BGB. so i tried with a hammer pulled but didnt wanted to move... so i went to my toyota dealer ask the head mechanic if he remembers of anything special about the procedure to remove the side shaft.. he said no..

so I decided it was time to quit playing :) i used two chain. bolted in the axles bolt and a chainblock to pry it out... i was prying so much that the chains were twisting... so i started to hit the shaft center with a hammer.. and then.. BAM! the shaft went out the diff! :D that was kind of a crazy set up but anyway even if i screwed something the pilot bearing was gone anyway! but fortunately it worked! i'm gonna start rebuilding it soon! :D