Project CMS

Landon

that old caldina wagon thing is awd? that things awesome! love the pictures dude. seems like a good time. that a diablo i see too? i love the unique cars all over. its sweet. yours is still lookin really good too josh.

athousandleaves

I really hope you managed to come back from your trip with at least SOME goodies for your car!!!

I've always imagined what it would be like going to a junkyard in japan to pull parts from old cars... :twisted:

CMS-GT4

Japan was a bust for car parts. I contacted some shops but they were all closed due to new years. I went at a bad time. I think spring would have panned out better for my trip. I contacted some places in malaysia too, but no response.

CMS-GT4

Took it for a drive in the snow today for the first time in a long time. I really did not have a choice, I had to get to class. I drove it on my summer tires as I need to hurry and order some winter tires. It did surprising well moving forward for such wide tires not meant for this application. Stopping on the other hand was about impossible and took some slow strategic driving to get out of my neighborhood. The roads themselves were not too bad once I got out from my own. I am looking into winter tires now for my other wheels. I am thinking maxxis z4s. The price is fair and they have good snow feedback, which is what they are mostly used for. I only drive a couple days a week, so I imagine an all season tire will work for me. I have done plenty of winters in the past only on the stock all season tires, and managed to get through some nasty winters, even in Chicago.

photo3bc.jpg

photo4yx.jpg

photo5ma.jpg

CMS-GT4

Yeah they do, which is why I don't be driving on the roads too much, and why I will be washing the car frequently.

CMS-GT4

Anyone know where I can find a bronze 17x7 ADR fuel wheel? I will be running these for winter and one of mine is curbed.

GT4times2

CMS-GT4":1x1tuj21 said:
Yeah they do, which is why I don't be driving on the roads too much, and why I will be washing the car frequently.

Looking good. I keep telling ya, get a winter beater (A used Subaru Legacy, Outback, GL-10 or Impreza that you wont have to worry about). After such nice paint job and money spent, I'd park it during the winter (even if it's an AWD car :) ).

No matter how you often you wash the car, there are parts that you may miss and have to deal with rust sooner or later. I almost forgot you were no longer in Tennessee. I lived in NYC, and once it snowed, I parked my cars and drove one of my father's cars (a beater Saab 900). No rust issues.

CMS-GT4

I am not too worried about it. I only drive two days a week as long as school is in. I am sure driving it this winter won't kill it. I do think I may not want to live in this winter wasteland forever. I am not digging this combination of cold and tornados.

I may have come across a new brake setup that is already done. So if I sell my 205 calipers I will pick it up. I am only taking one class now and I might not go back to school this summer. I am focusing on my business and career and if this takes off where I want to go I won't have a lot of time for projects this next year. So I may not be doing a lot to the car next year depending on how busy I am. I am trying to finish my studio this month, then I can deal with start up.

aus jd 2703

What's the new brake option? Curios as I'm about to buy new pads and rotors to go the 309mm st205 front option but if there is a better option for under $1.5k I'm all ears as I'm
Worried if the 205 will cope with track work

CMS-GT4

The 205 will more than cope with the track work. The only reason I am thinking of switching is I just want to bolt on at this point. Since I am short on time, I may only have enough to bolt on some new brakes rather than having to design a new system. I will announce the brake kit, if I get it. ;)

Landon

just curious, what is involved in doing 205 brakes? i thought it was pretty much bolt on..? and if you sell, whats a expected price? i might be interested. oh and i'm sorry you have to live with that weather, kinda sounds sketchy. lol. i love snow, but thank goodness they don't salt out here.

CMS-GT4

I listed them for $375 + shipping with new pads. All you would need is your bolts, then a piece of threaded metal to screw into. You can also use larger bolts and thread the ears on the spindle. For the rotor, the 20x guys found out there is a mecedes rotor that can be re drilled and used. Another option is to mill down the 205 rotor and use a spacer. I can't use this method since my wheels are concave in a way that they have to be put out the caliper further to keep from hitting the spokes. There is a pic of them in the for sale thread.

CMS-GT4

I put the winter tires on today. I read good reviews on these maxxis in the snow, I will give better feedback once we get some more. I also washed the car today, but I will make a point to avoid touch washes in the future. I had been doing touchless. I noticed a couple of swirls on the car. Its not bad, and likely only I see them, but I will correct this in the spring. Also, one of my wheels is curbed, so when its spring I plan on fixing the rough areas then repainting all the wheels I wil use for winter.

Here is also a pic of my car next to a modern vette. The 185 does not look so dated, even next to one of these.

photo13tp.jpg

photo23dy.jpg

photo25ja.jpg

CMS-GT4

So today was my first test drive with the new tires. They are 215/40/17. They look skinny as hell, but the car can really scoot now by going to a lighter smaller setup. It was already quick before. I will have to take this into consideration with my future plans.

CMS-GT4

So I decided I really need a horn in this car, I was going to get the NRG horn extension, but then I still have to make a mounting point, and I don't see the point in spending $50 for a button. I think instead I am going to just drill a hole near the steering wheel, then install this. I will just need to figure out where the horn wires are.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280800655479?ss ... 1345wt_914

The other thing I need to sort is the washer motor isn't coming on. Its either dead, or isn't hooked up for some reason. I want this working before we get snow again.

Those are the really only major things I need to do while its still cold out. I am still trying to sell my front 205 calipers, but no takers yet. That will all determine what I do for my fronts. I do have the drawing still for the bracket of the sti rotor conversion, so that is something to still consider.

monkracing29

CMS-GT4":128p2sga said:
I got the last set from from the guy who got them made in the UK years ago. They were made for our cars. I had intentions of making a full lip from them, but I am afraid they are going to get broken on my driveway, thanks to the way they do water drainage here. I am still debating on what I am going to do, just because of that.
I hate the way they have the set up out here for the driveways.... :cry:

phattyduck

CMS-GT4":2fuyoecx said:
So I decided I really need a horn in this car, I was going to get the NRG horn extension, but then I still have to make a mounting point, and I don't see the point in spending $50 for a button. I think instead I am going to just drill a hole near the steering wheel, then install this. I will just need to figure out where the horn wires are.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280800655479?ss ... 1345wt_914
Watch out - that's a latching switch... that will turn the horn on with one push and turn it off again after a second push. :doh:

You want a momentary switch (though, otherwise that looks like a good option).

-Charlie