How do I delete the power steering

celigts

As the title says I'm looking to delete my power steering. Since I bought the car it was leaking like mad and had my belt removed when I had the swap. So I'm use to it and just can't see me adding it again so I wanna take out the hardware now.

Anyone know what I can and can't remove? And how do I properly close the pump switch hose?

Let me know. Thanks alot !

celigts

Can anyone help me out?

Would I be able to at least remove the oil container and lines from it. I know I can't remove the pump.

Anyone please.

DudeMan

I don't get it, why didn't you just fix the leak when you swapped in a new engine?

You don't need the pump if there's no belt on it or fluid in the system.. you can take out the reservoir and lines too.

The real problem is the rack. You need one designed for manual steering, not power.

Really though, it would be both cheaper and easier to just fix the leak then convert to manual steering. Its not like your going to save any time or money, so why bother?

4rsnduction

I had the same problem for the last year, I was running with no power steering because the return hose split so i had to cut the belt to save the pump, drove around with no power steering for a full year before I finally got it fixed.

I must say the handling of the car has changed dramatically, i have less confidence in the car around faster corners, the weight transition is sharper/faster. once you get used to the no power steering its not to bad unless your doing a 3point turn in a tight driveway, but its a strange feeling to get your power steering back, like i said, no more confidence once i got it back :(

The most important issue will always remain....your still using a steering rack designed for power assistance.
Not the same as a manual steering rack at all.
Plus without the power steering working u can notice the worn out universal joint in the steering colum alot more than usual and replacing this is a PITA +5

brutekiller787

pretty simple to do the outside stuff, complicated to make it work correctly. you actually need to cut off the seals inside the rack that keep fluid on one side or another in order to have a true manual rack. there was a write up on a miata forum i think, with pictures and everything. let me see if i can find it...

Edit: google and 3 minutes = http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php?x=1

a good read even if it doesn't seem like your cup of tea

celigts

brutekiller787":2i5zgy3d said:
pretty simple to do the outside stuff, complicated to make it work correctly. you actually need to cut off the seals inside the rack that keep fluid on one side or another in order to have a true manual rack. there was a write up on a miata forum i think, with pictures and everything. let me see if i can find it...

Edit: google and 3 minutes = http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php?x=1

a good read even if it doesn't seem like your cup of tea

That is a good read for sure ! But definitely not for me ;) I'll keep everything there for now. But I really don't mind not having to struggle in parking lots and parallel parking. I just feel like an idiot when everyone else uses a finger to steer an I'm man handling the wheel like a mad man lmao

sMARTINside

Personnaly, I love the assistance of power steering. If I was in your shoes, I would repair it. It makes the car handle easily. My pickup doesn't have it and is a bitch to drive. I think that car that don't have it have a bigger ratio on the rack to make the steering turn easier. The ST185 doesn't have that many turns lock to lock, so I guess it will be hard as a rock to turn that wheel. My 2 cents... :|

MrDB

said it before its fine until that accident and you cant turn the wheel fast enough! Ratios are all wrong and its way to heavy more than a stock manual rack...