Which Axles for a st205 box in a st165 car?

bmt

So I am in the middle of a swap St 215 motor + St205 box into St165 car. I need to know which axle set up I need for the front wheels. As the St205 axles are quite different from the St165 axles. The St165 has Drive flanges coming out of the box(E150f), but the St205,(E154f) has a complete cv joint, no flanges. One of the drive flanges out of the St165 box fits into the St205 box but the other one doesnt. The bearing land is a larger diameter. So what do I use to make this work? St185 boxes DO have Drive flanges but are they the same as St165 or are they a smaller diameter and will fit into a St205 box?

Anyone?

bmt

Yeah I think it is cause my car is the FIRST gen,(1986), with E150f1 box. The one with the air operated lock out. I spoke to a guy here who had done the swap and he didnt have any problems but his was a later model (89), so I am now looking for them or maybe St185 flanges will work?

phattyduck

ST185 stubs will work in a ST205 box. If your axles bolt together with the round flange with the evenly spaced allen-head bolts, your outers should work with the ST185 stubs. If not, you can get ST185 axles or even gen2 Camry V6 outer axles (much cheaper).

-Charlie

bmt

Thanks for the help guys. I have sorted the problem. One of my stubs was ok and I got a St185 stub for the drivers, (R/H) side. Popped right in. Only 5mm difference in overall width flange to flange. Old box E150f 1 was 618mm and the New box E154f was 613mm with flanges fitted. More than tolerable. Now on to the next problem!