To those who are or who have run a GT35r on their all trac

dragstang86

I have been planning my build and starting to collect parts and have been thinking of going with the GT35r. Through one of my connections I can get one of the pre-chinese (one of the good ones) Garrett GT35r's new for $800. The car currently has the KO Racing T3/T4 50 trim kit on it. I want a bare minimum of 500awhp.

Just looking to get input on those who have or are using the turbo and find out what you think of it. Thanks.

Bryan

dragstang86

magnum":12mmfb6j said:
You maybe interested in the new GTX3576R

I was thinking the same but a buddy of mine that runs a big performance wholesale website (jrponline) said all those newer Garrett's are chinese made and the quality is not what it used to be. He said it was enough for them to stop stocking Garrett stuff as soon as the move to the Chinese manufacturing occurred. However he still has some of the american made stuff left in stock including a few GT3582r's which is why I was debating going that route. Would like to get some opinions on it from guys who have run them on a 3S.

klue

Garrett has not been made in the USA for YEARS, they were bought out by GE and making in mexico for the last while. Maybe now its in china. the 35 is going to start topping out at 500awhp, you need a bigger turbo than that.

scuba

GTX3576R and the GT35r are both great options; however, my question is... what will be the best one for longevity and reliable performance. If I am spending more than $500 on something it had better perform so well that it puts a smile on my face. I have just seen to many horror stories of friends that have installed turbos they thought were great, only to find out the build quality of the turbo was pure crap. Ive had good results with precision power turbos, and so-so luck with smaller garrets.

Personally I would like to find something that spools similar to the ct26 but obviously has the capability to go into the 400-500 range without the fear of the turbo living a short life; keep in mind that my trac is a daily driver/cruiser, but I want to be able to dominate on the occasional hard ass on the street/freeway.

dragstang86

klue":28d69itp said:
Garrett has not been made in the USA for YEARS, they were bought out by GE and making in mexico for the last while. Maybe now its in china. the 35 is going to start topping out at 500awhp, you need a bigger turbo than that.

Ok I just assumed it went from the US to China when he told me production moved to China, I guess it was Mexico to China. Regardless he said the quality went down after the move and he really knows his stuff as far as that goes since he runs a huge wholesale distribution company for that stuff.

It's going to top out around 500? I was under the impression it was good for more than that. Most of what I read has said it's good to 600+ whp. It's not going on a stock engine, it has head work, hks cams etc. The little T3/T4 50 trim that's on it now made 350awhp in elevation on low boost. This is gonna be my first 4 cylinder project so I'm trying to learn what these things like.

2_Liter_Turbo

A GT3076R will get you to 500whp, so a GT35 type turbo should get you well into 500hp. I grabbed my twin scroll GT3071R turbo for my SR20DET (240SX) just before the quality of Garrett turbos went down (about 5 years ago). When the time comes to replace it, I will be going with a Borg Warner.

toayoztan

2_Liter_Turbo":1010x1cm said:
A GT3076R will get you to 500whp, so a GT35 type turbo should get you well into 500hp. I grabbed my twin scroll GT3071R turbo for my SR20DET (240SX) just before the quality of Garrett turbos went down (about 5 years ago). When the time comes to replace it, I will be going with a Borg Warner.

I agree the 3076r will get you there (and i recommend it).

Bryan

dragstang86

toayoztan":3j8i4gn6 said:
2_Liter_Turbo":3j8i4gn6 said:

Bryan

Why do you recommend the 3076r? Is the lag really bad with the 35r? I mean 500whp is my minimum that I want but I am not afraid to exceed it lol.

2_Liter_Turbo

dragstang86":3ib0oycm said:
toayoztan":3ib0oycm said:
2_Liter_Turbo":3ib0oycm said:

Bryan

Why do you recommend the 3076r? Is the lag really bad with the 35r? I mean 500whp is my minimum that I want but I am not afraid to exceed it lol.

I honestly couldn't say exactly, as my experience with a GT35R was on a slightly smaller displacement motor (B18 LS-Vtec) than my experience with a GT307XR (SR20). However, it was about 1000 RPM if not more difference between the two in terms of when 20psi was hit. Granted, the GT3071R I have is a twin scroll where as the GT35 I'm talking about wasn't, so it's really not comparing apples to apples. I know the GT35 will lag more on the same motor with the same exhaust housing design, but I just don't know by how much.

klue

Depends alot on the exhaust housing what kind of spool your going to get. Sure you can get over 500 CRANk hp with a gt35r, but getting 500allwheel hp is going to be like around 630 or so at the crank?!

Not familiar with the gt30 series, Bryan probably has the scoop on that. But from the numbers its got a smaller impeller(lighter) and would have to flow less than the 35 with a comparable backside

Your for sure going to be at the flow limit of even the biggest housing, and I don't know about you but I never run a turbo/engine at the point where its most likely to break. You want a safe buffer so your not stressing components. Build it for 800hp and run 500 all day long. Or build it for 500 make 600 for a few good runs :)

just my opinion here, but if Im trying to nab 500awhp im going with a turbo thats going to do that with less than 30psi, top of my list would be borg warner,

2of81

klue":2o03t9za said:
Depends alot on the exhaust housing what kind of spool your going to get. Sure you can get over 500 CRANk hp with a gt35r, but getting 500allwheel hp is going to be like around 630 or so at the crank?!

Not familiar with the gt30 series, Bryan probably has the scoop on that. But from the numbers its got a smaller impeller(lighter) and would have to flow less than the 35 with a comparable backside

I don't think your familiar with the GT35R either, Jeffery Burke made 615 RWHP on a GT35R years ago with an MR2.

klue

2of81":fm7n21ou said:
klue":fm7n21ou said:

I don't think your familiar with the GT35R either, Jeffery Burke made 615 RWHP on a GT35R years ago with an MR2.

Ive actually spoken to Jeff quite a few times, great guy.

Yes he also made 800 whp with a gt42, whats your point?
Lets remember that's an mr2, with probably 1/3 the drive train loss we have.

Maybe you would like to add something useful here

dragstang86

Can you fit anything bigger on it than a 35 without getting into things like moving the radiator and stuff like that? I want it to make decent power, but it is just going to be a street cruiser so I don't want it to have a bunch of lag that kills the fun of driving it on the street.

2of81

klue":2juis4p2 said:
2of81":2juis4p2 said:
klue":2juis4p2 said:

Ive actually spoken to Jeff quite a few times, great guy.

Yes he also made 800 whp with a gt42, whats your point?
Lets remember that's an mr2, with probably 1/3 the drive train loss we have.

Maybe you would like to add something useful here

My point is that the GT35R can make 500AWHP when you acted like it can only do it at the flywheel. At a 10% estimated drivetrain loss on a MR2 I would say Jeffrey's engine was making 675 at the flywheel.