Hub Project to make us wheel options (5/100 to 114.3)

bccentaur3

Well dont the alltrac use the same wheel bearing all the way around? If thats the case then why not just have the stock 5x100 hubs pressed out and Rav4 5x114 Hubs pressed in? Rav4 uses the same front wheel bearing as the alltracs.

gtfour77

bccentaur3":1t7rm94d said:
Well dont the alltrac use the same wheel bearing all the way around? If thats the case then why not just have the stock 5x100 hubs pressed out and Rav4 5x114 Hubs pressed in? Rav4 uses the same front wheel bearing as the alltracs.

Are the splines inside the same? Iam sure this has been discussed...

RedCelicaTRD

If you use the front hub in the rear you wont be able to adjust or do any work to the parking brake. The stock rear hubs have slots in them to give you access to the springs and clips.

bccentaur3

gtfour77":17l1inay said:
bccentaur3":17l1inay said:

Are the splines inside the same? Iam sure this has been discussed...

The splines on the rears are 26 just like the fronts. So in theory you can use the front 5x114 rav4 hubs in the rears. But then you run into that issue with the slots for adjustment. I still think You can just drill them. I mean the Hubs diameter should be big enough to do some drilling.

bccentaur3

Atleast this is what I plan on doing with my project. I hope that the st205 uses the same wheel bearings as the other gens. Brakes arent too big of a deal since I'm using ls430 monoblocs

gtfour77

bozo-merlin":1q3khnja said:
even if bearing are the same, hub are different (e.g. for the handbrake system)

The hub itself would be changed, not the whole spindle, thus it would retain the original handbrake system which is mounted on the back plate, the only thing that is mounted on the hub is the brake rotor which would have to be either redrilled for 5x114.3 or replacement sourced with the bolt pattern already drilled....make sense?

lumbercis

Do stock rotors have enough meat in the right spots to re-drill safely?

I like this route the best because it lets you convert in stages. You can start by just changing the bolt pattern and using stock brakes, then upgrade to a custom rotor/brake setup later if you want.

Can you buy just the Rav4 hubs from toyota still? Or do they only sell the whole spindle?

gtfour77

I have a spare set of rear rotors I'll check tonight... (have 5x114.3 hubs from mr2 and camry also)

Anybody needs a really nice pair of stock alltrac rear rotors? Name you price and it's yours! :D

reeves

Can't believe I just read all 16 pages lol.. I think I forgot half of it too :D

Any updates on this?

So the point of using the rear Rav4 spindle is to allow you to have more/better wheel options & bigger brakes? And "upgrade" the bearings?

What if you don't intend to track/race your alltrac? What's the longevity of the wheel bearings under "normal" street driving? I came across a site that will custom make hub centric adapters.. and you can specify thickness, bolt pattern, bore size, and stud size.. any try this yet?
http://shop.adapterkings.com/5-Lug-to-5-Lug-smaller-than-135mm-or-55-5-Lug-to-5-Lug.htm

CMS-GT4

Nope. Camry spindles are for allowing bigger bearings. And that is just the front. I do not know if there are any comparable rears to the alltrac. The 165-205 are "mostly" the same. I am using the rav4 over the camry due to already having coilovers, and the rav4 has the same bolt holes for the strut as the alltrac. I could just do the hub, but I am using the whole spindles since it bolts up to my 205 calipers and allows me to use a vette rotor without having to have it milled down. As for the rears, the only reason to do them is so you can run a low offset in the rear for looks. Instead I am going to just use an adapter since I will have 205 brakes on the rear and I want to be able to rotate my tires. I may look into new rears once I burn through my two sets of rear rotors, but for now I am taking the easy route.

lumbercis

Damn, now why didn't we think of that?!

Do you all agree with the below (from 6gc) that the vcv10 camry rear hubs will work? Any ideas of rotors that would bolt on with stock brakes?

the only thing now that requires drilling is the rear rotors.

rav4 front hub, xv10 camry front rotors

vcv10 camry rear bearing/hub assy, drilled celica rotor (unless someone finds one that fits...)

CMS-GT4

lumbercis":3h7msm1u said:
Damn, now why didn't we think of that?!

Do you all agree with the below (from 6gc) that the vcv10 camry rear hubs will work? Any ideas of rotors that would bolt on with stock brakes?

the only thing now that requires drilling is the rear rotors.

rav4 front hub, xv10 camry front rotors

vcv10 camry rear bearing/hub assy, drilled celica rotor (unless someone finds one that fits...)

They might work on a fwd celica, but they won't work on an alltrac. No spline hole unless you can somehow take it apart to make one. I did think of this, I just had not decided yet to do this since I can not decide on my brake setup. The advantage to using the whole mr2 spindle is that it allows you to use a larger rotor with a 205 caliper bolted up without needing a bracket.
As for rear, the rav4 fwd rears might work. You can use a rear supra rotor, and just need a bracket for a wilwood caliper or something like that. It would be great to be able to use a 205 caliper, but its easier to fit a wilwood and a supra disc then finding another disc solution.

tubasteve":3h7msm1u said:
98 rav hub...fits the front fine
Did you give this a try?

I have been holding off. I am waiting to see if a whole slew of new wheels come out in out specs thanks to the ft86 being 5x100. I have all the parts sitting in my garage to do the conversion if I want to. I could even run the rav4 brakes a while if I wanted to, but I rather just fit my final package if I can.

tubasteve

I ordered the hub, it uses the same bearing, I forget exact measurements...but it goes right in the celica bearing. I have great data the parts house offers. I'll see if I can find pix, I posted on done forum...here, sorry for choppy response (on my smarter phone.)

*******************was reading a few pages back and found this was the fourm, and i also read i said it would work the rear....i knew that was wrong!

idea, for bolt on rotors just need to find a way to trim the rotors in the front

left is the rav4 sizes and right is alltrac

Attachments

• rotorz.jpg
    rotorz.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 2,099