St205 transmission on st185?

Corey

If the tranny comes with 205 mounts, just swap in your 185 mounts, the 205 mounts wont line up with the chassis.

205 tranny doesnt have the fwd selector switch either.

BayAreaAT

The only reason I would need the 2wd mode is for dyno tuning...
BUT I'm not sure if that's a good idea.. Thank for the info.

sMARTINside

I have done this swap and I got in love with how the gears engage. I guess this is because how the better synchros that others talk about.

The ST205 tranny is simply plug and play, on a ST185. The only thing that is different is the bell housing of the transmission, where it matches the engine block. The ST205 engine has an aluminum flange that matches the bell housing to bolt them together. The ST185 engine uses a bigger steel plate to close up the opening, because the engine block doesn't have that flange. So if you are using the ST205 gearbox on the ST185 engine, you will need to use the ST185 plate to close up the back of the flywheel and prevent dirt from getting in the clutch area.

The ratios are pretty much the same. I didn't notice a difference when driving it. The 4th and 5th gears are slightly shorter on the ST205 tranny.

ST185 (non RC) have the E150F tranny.
1: 3.384
2: 1.913
3: 1.333
4: 0.972
5: 0.731
Final Drive: 4.285

ST205 tranny is a E154F:
1: 3.384
2: 1.913
3: 1.258
4: 0.918
5: 0.731
Final Drive: 4.285

quieter

hi guys! my buddy installed a st205 tranny on my st185, my speedometer and my mileage isnt working, is the speedometer cable plug and play? apparently theres 2 cables to connect and not one only. is this true? thanks!!

klue

You need to swap over the mechanical speedo cable, and the housing so it will work. Everything should plug right up

spitfiremk16

quieter":69f2od9u said:
hi guys! my buddy installed a st205 tranny on my st185, my speedometer and my mileage isnt working, is the speedometer cable plug and play? apparently theres 2 cables to connect and not one only. is this true? thanks!!

i believe that you need to use the speedometer drive gear off of your st185 transmission. the st185's use a cable driven speedometer and the st205's use an electronic speedometer. the gear assembly is on the back of the trans above the rear trans mount. take off the 12 mm bolt that holds it on and swap your st185 gear into your 205 trans and hook the speedometer cable up to it. your speedometer and odometer should now work.

Il_Barone

Hi guys, i'd like to swap the gearbox but i don't understand one thing: are the st205 axles the same of te st185?

If not, which axle should i use?

Thanks!!!

GT4_DRED

Il_Barone":165i3v6p said:
Hi guys, i'd like to swap the gearbox but i don't understand one thing: are the st205 axles the same of te st185?

Thanks!!!
You would use the axles from your 185..

Il_Barone

GT4_DRED":3qkt7wz8 said:
Il_Barone":3qkt7wz8 said:

Thanks!!!
You would use the axles from your 185..