Moroso 3SGTE Fabricated Aluminum Oil Pan 20935 Group Buy

dragstang86

underscore":23jwve2v said:
i f these are bring specially made for this buy, would it be possible for them to move the plug to clear the braces?

I'll find out if they can move the plug and also eliminate the oil level sensor provision as well. If they are starting from scratch I don't see it being an issue. If they already have the pieces made up and just have to fixture and weld them, then they may not be willing. I'll try to find something out on that this week.

temperacerguy

1) dragstang86
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8) Temperacerguy (Just putting my name next to the "too cool for school" accidental emoticon)
9)
10)

saved_1992

1) dragstang86
2) saved_1992 (block off plate)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
Temperacerguy (Just putting my name next to the "too cool for school" accidental emoticon)
9)
10)

ALLensTRAC

1) dragstang86
2) saved_1992
3)ALLensTRAC
4)
5)
6)
7)
Temperacerguy (Just putting my name next to the "too cool for school" accidental emoticon)
9)
10)

dragstang86

I spoke to Moroso today and they said they already have the pieces made up for the pans. They are willing to make them without the sensor provision and with a different oil plug location but they want substantially more for the pan since they would have to make all the pieces when they already have the other ones on the shelf.

donk2k

1) dragstang86
2) saved_1992
3)ALLensTRAC
4)donk2k
5)donk2k
6)
7)
9)
10)

underscore

they can't just keep those few pieces for future use? If they'd be willing to at least change it for future buys that would be good to know.

dragstang86

underscore":27v5cv3p said:
they can't just keep those few pieces for future use? If they'd be willing to at least change it for future buys that would be good to know.

They wouldn't be willing to do any kind of quantity discount if they custom made them and they would want additional money for it being a "custom" job. They said it would increase the cost $55-$80 per pan to make them to our specifications. Not really worth the extra money as it would be cheaper just to modify the standard pan by patching or plugging the provision and adding a drain plug in the side. Could just plug the current drain plug hole and make a new bung for it in a better location.

temperacerguy

Spoke to David with Twosrus. He's an old MR2 buddy of mine from back in the 90s.

If we want to do a group buy, he will offer them at $40 per unit if we sell 5 and $35 per unit if we buy 10. He also said that he doesn't have that many on hand, so he said he needs some lead time.

So, I recommend everyone who wants a block off plate to put "w/block off plate" after their name. I'll start the process:

1 ) dragstang86
2 ) saved_1992
3 )ALLensTRAC
4 )donk2k
5 )donk2k
6 )Klue
7 )Temperacerguy w/ block off plate
8 )
9 )
10)

temperacerguy

dragstang86":1hclu0gd said:
underscore":1hclu0gd said:

They wouldn't be willing to do any kind of quantity discount if they custom made them and they would want additional money for it being a "custom" job. They said it would increase the cost $55-$80 per pan to make them to our specifications. Not really worth the extra money as it would be cheaper just to modify the standard pan by patching or plugging the provision and adding a drain plug in the side. Could just plug the current drain plug hole and make a new bung for it in a better location.

Any Welder/Fabrication/Machine shop can do it for you for an hour of labor. (around $50)

saved_1992

1 ) dragstang86
2 ) saved_1992 w/ block off plate
3 )ALLensTRAC
4 )donk2k
5 )donk2k
6 )Klue
7 )Temperacerguy w/ block off plate
8 )
9 )
10)

underscore

temperacerguy":2n0uoe9z said:
dragstang86":2n0uoe9z said:
underscore":2n0uoe9z said:

Any Welder/Fabrication/Machine shop can do it for you for an hour of labor. (around $50)

if its so easy why can't they do it? I don't get why I should have to hack up a brand new part just to have it work properly.

dragstang86

underscore":3vfdf5sh said:
if its so easy why can't they do it? I don't get why I should have to hack up a brand new part just to have it work properly.

Because the pan was originally designed for an MR2 and they already have the pieces made up, they just need to be fixtured and welded. Any changes would cause them more work at this point in which they are not willing to do. They are a large company and these 10 oil pans are not that critical to them. They are willing to make them to our specifications but not for this group buy price. They want to sell the pieces that they already have sitting on the shelf basically.

temperacerguy

Because Moroso isn't a custom fabrication shop... they are a large scale manufacturer. Custom parts require custom handling. They require custom ordering, custom cutting, custom everything...

You laser cut 100 copies of "parts A-J" from a stock design that has been proven to work on the application it was designed for (MR2 Turbo). You put them in a standard jig that holds things at precise angles/spacing for the robotic welder running a stock weld pattern to ensure consistency.

By this "simple change of oil drain plug" requires custom cutting 4 different pieces of alluminum, and changing the jig and the robotic welding program. All of this costs money...

Damn Drag.... You beat me to it.... I was typing as you responded

dragstang86

temperacerguy":pcw97dl3 said:
Because Moroso isn't a custom fabrication shop... they are a large scale manufacturer. Custom parts require custom handling. They require custom ordering, custom cutting, custom everything...

You laser cut 100 copies of "parts A-J" from a stock design that has been proven to work on the application it was designed for (MR2 Turbo). You put them in a standard jig that holds things at precise angles/spacing for the robotic welder running a stock weld pattern to ensure consistency.

By this "simple change of oil drain plug" requires custom cutting 4 different pieces of alluminum, and changing the jig and the robotic welding program. All of this costs money...

Haha, You said it better than I anyhow!

dragstang86

MatadorRacing":vfk5u6hp said:
Is the info on lightning motorsports page inaccurate?

http://lightningmotorsports.com/i-69607.aspx

They claim to have an oil pan (same number) which will fit 88-93 alltracs @ $358.00

Am I missing something? Is this clearance issue only for guys who have an under brace?

Yes the only issue is when using the Cusco or Ace brace, the drain plug of this pan is too close to the brace. You would need to move the drain plug to use with the brace. Without the brace the only thing to consider is the oil level sensor provision for the oil level sensor of the MR2's. You either need to put a sensor in it, use a block off plate or weld a piece over the provision.

underscore

temperacerguy":2g1vxq9w said:

I understand all that, what I don't get is why they never tweaked the design in between batches to sell this to a wider market over the long. Anyways, gl with the gb.

dragstang86

underscore":3frm9sj5 said:
I understand all that, what I don't get is why they never tweaked the design in between batches to sell this to a wider market over the long. Anyways, gl with the gb.

Probably because the MR2 market is larger than the all trac market and the MR2's came with the oil level sending unit. In the big picture, the percentage of these pans that end up on all tracs that have a Cusco brace are probably too small for them to warrant moving the drain plug from the ideal side of the pan.