Back seat Options

AFCor

I'm wondering what everyone does with the back seat. Do you leave it, replace it with something or just take it out completely? If you have pictures, that would be great too!

lumbercis

AFCor":15tsj2mh said:
I'm wondering what everyone does with the back seat. Do you leave it, replace it with something or just take it out completely? If you have pictures, that would be great too!

Leave it unless you are actually taking your car to the track on a regular basis. Taking it out on a street car is silly.

Corey

pstof3.jpg

DudeMan

lumbercis":327ovy0x said:
Leave it unless you are actually taking your car to the track on a regular basis. Taking it out on a street car is silly.

Not necessarily.

It's nearly impossible to drive with someone behind you since your seat has to be so far forward.. and either way the passengers bitch about how cramped it is. :p

I think the backseats are a pain in the ass. As long as the time is taken to properly cover the area like Corey posted there's really nothing wrong with it.

toayoztan

The seats themselves don't weigh very much. The alltracs usually have pristine-shape rear seats that are leather.

I'm leaving mine in just because, but I most likely will be putting in a roll cage and no one will be able to sit back there with the cross bar.

Bryan

AFCor

I'm pretty sure I will be removing them. I asked my wife to sit in the back while I drive around a bit and, well... let's just say we didn't get very far. :wink:
Corey I like what you did to replace them. Good Idea.
Thank you everyone for your advice so far

lumbercis

My point was that there's no reason to take them out for performance reasons on a street car. You aren't pushing the car to it's performance limits on the street without getting arrested or dead anyway.

Of course an adult isn't going to sit back there for a long road trip, but wait until you're hanging out with the family and your mom wants you to take the three little cousins to miniature golf. Toyota put them there for a purpose which is as auxiliary seating for short trips. Taking them out you lose that capability.

But specific scenarios don't matter, it's generally just pointless to gut a street car. If you can name a specific sanctioning body and class that you've competed in in the last year (SCCA Solo, NASA HPDE, NSCRA True Street etc.) then I'll eat my words.

Corey

Sorry, but that's not my car. I believe its of one of our members cars. I found it on another forum. I'm thinking 93cc's car.

mx6er2587

I replaced mine with a set of black cloth seats out of a 6th gen 25th anniversary addition. Matchs my cloth 7th gen front seats nicely.

The 6th gen seats also have slightly thinner padding and deeper buckets which make them more comfortable for pasangers as the change in angle gives a bit more leg room.

I can post some pictures if you want

AFCor

lumbercis":2zf1taro said:
it's generally just pointless to gut a street car
I agree with you. I think gutting your car for anything less than all-out racing is a little overboard. Now I like cruise control, I like having a simple sound system, and I like having a sun roof. I just don't have a particular need for the back seat. I have a family vehicle for that. That's why I want to remove them and replace them with something else.

temperacerguy

mx6er2587":27vek92u said:
I replaced mine with a set of black cloth seats out of a 6th gen 25th anniversary addition. Matchs my cloth 7th gen front seats nicely.

The 6th gen seats also have slightly thinner padding and deeper buckets which make them more comfortable for pasangers as the change in angle gives a bit more leg room.

would love pictures.. are they bolt in?

93cc

Corey Darling":1e7mwrmo said:
Sorry, but that's not my car. I believe its of one of our members cars. I found it on another forum. I'm thinking 93cc's car.

That is my car... I removed the rear seats because I dont plan on hauling anyone or anything back there and I relocated the battery there too

Updated for broken links:
DSC01754_sm.JPG

DSC01755_sm.JPG

DSC01756_sm.JPG

mx6er2587

temperacerguy":14kilafg said:
mx6er2587":14kilafg said:

would love pictures.. are they bolt in?

They're close to bolt in. If I remember correctly I had to enlarge the slots for the seat bottom tabs. <10 mins with a dremel. I also swapped the 5th gen seat back carpet onto the 6th gen to keep the carpet color in the trunk matched. I recall there may have been some trimming or some minor mod to get those to work. I'll get some pictures when I'm working on the car tomorrow.

CMS-GT4

Did you ever take pics of those black rear seats? Would be a good option for those with aftermarket front racing seats.

mkchris89

CMS-GT4":3rgwb4s8 said:
Did you ever take pics of those black rear seats? Would be a good option for those with aftermarket front racing seats.

I would like to see this too mine are reallly sun faded

athousandleaves

lumbercis":3bbem1m0 said:
My point was that there's no reason to take them out for performance reasons on a street car. You aren't pushing the car to it's performance limits on the street without getting arrested or dead anyway.

Of course an adult isn't going to sit back there for a long road trip, but wait until you're hanging out with the family and your mom wants you to take the three little cousins to miniature golf. Toyota put them there for a purpose which is as auxiliary seating for short trips. Taking them out you lose that capability.

But specific scenarios don't matter, it's generally just pointless to gut a street car. If you can name a specific sanctioning body and class that you've competed in in the last year (SCCA Solo, NASA HPDE, NSCRA True Street etc.) then I'll eat my words.

+1

Either strip the interior completely and race or leave them in.

Where is the best place to store a leather bench seat like that so it wont get creased or eaten by creatures anyway... perhaps IN THE CAR?