ZeroDrift's 1988 All Trac. Engine Overhaul Project!

ZeroDrift

Hello everyone and welcome to my project thread.

Recently purchased an '88 All Trac and have a few minor plans for the car. Most of them being of a restoration in nature and a few minor performance items on the agenda.

Some misc pictures for now:

Resampled952012-02-139514-37-189541.jpg

Resampled952012-02-139514-43-5495296.jpg

2012-02-16_17-21-05_662.jpg

2012-02-16_17-20-05_390.jpg

2012-02-16_17-19-49_320.jpg

ZeroDrift

ALLensTRAC":14v3kztu said:
Very nice chassis!!! Looks like a great platform to start with(unlike mine :( ). Good luck with your build!

Thank you!

So here is what needs to be addressed:
-Hood support webbing is loose and rattles
-Hatch rattles (TSB item)
-Clogged cats (need new downpipe and possibly a midsection)
-Replace select bushings in suspension. Need a way to increase caster!
-Install winter rims/tires
-Install Audio components (still need to decide upon a few items here)
-Install gauges, turbo timer, boost controller
-Send spare CT26 turbo for a performance rebuild. To be installed with downpipe and possibly the midsection.
-Maliciously remove and destroy the cheezy pedal covers and replace with more respectable pedal set.
-Restore black trim around windows
-Wash and apply high quality wax
-Enjoy!

ZeroDrift

In preparation for the audio system, here are some pictures of the interior:

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0288.jpg

DSC_0289.jpg

I'm thinking of removing the spare tire and doing a false floor that is a few inches higher than the surrounding area. This will provide room for the sub enclosure and possibly an amp. Going to keep this as utilitarian as possible so the plan is to include a few tie down fixtures for strapping cargo into the hatch area.
DSC_0290.jpg

And here is the top of the rear speaker area. Speaker faces the rear hatch and trim. Still contemplating the rear sound stage, and whether or not to go with component speakers or coaxial.
DSC_0291.jpg

Here are a few pictures of whats going into the car:

CD player: Kenwood kdc-bt948hd
images

Front Speakers: Alpine spx-107r
images

To take care of the lower frequencies, an 8" JBL GTO sub.
images

Still need to decide upon a 5ch amp and rear speakers.

As such, please feel free to make suggestions! I am bargain shopping for refurbished/used components on this stuff to keep costs down.

UtahSleeper

Damn. She looks to be in great shape. Glad this is more of a restore project for now. I would seriously look at every maintenance item and consider replacing (all bushings, mounts, hoses, etc) since the seem to get neglected on our cars.

ZeroDrift

UtahSleeper":1wh0qyi3 said:
Damn. She looks to be in great shape. Glad this is more of a restore project for now. I would seriously look at every maintenance item and consider replacing (all bushings, mounts, hoses, etc) since the seem to get neglected on our cars.

Thank you! She needs some TLC still, but so far its a great foundation! :)

As it stands, the engine has been overhauled a few thousand miles ago with some nice go-fast bits. The auxiliary hoses and electrical could use some love/replacement, so the plan is to leave power levels stock for now. Once I feel the car is in top shape I will turn the boost up some; however I don't think I'm going to push more than ~13psi on this car anytime soon.

ZeroDrift

awesome-trac":1r09k8ma said:
was this the one located in the bay area for like $6000.00?

Yes. This was the car that was available in the San Leandro area. Its since made its way to Colorado though. :)

ZeroDrift

Well, I made an attempt to install my winter tires, but the offset is all wrong. The rear tires rub against the struts and I will be needing wheel spacers.

2012-02-17_17-01-00_954.jpg

More to come later...

Awesome-Trac

ahhh no wonder it disappeared! i was waiting for my taxes to pick it up....lol but its all good cause it atleast its going to a good home

ZeroDrift

awesome-trac":3bixcae7 said:
ahhh no wonder it disappeared! i was waiting for my taxes to pick it up....lol but its all good cause it atleast its going to a good home

Yeah, I had to jump on this before someone else bought it. Still have to sell my last car though.

ZeroDrift

Spent a few hours cleaning up the new car today. Its not in bad shape inside but needed loads of elbow grease to clean the plastics and leather(pleather?)

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0308.jpg

DSC_0310.jpg

Out with the old:
DSC_0311.jpg

In with the new:
DSC_0312.jpg

Right side has been briefly treated. This stuff soaks into the plastics well and brings back a nice shine.
DSC_0314.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

Any suggestions to repair sloppy door hinges?
e5da15664b17d81732513b54d84e4129.gif

Finished for now:

DSC_0318.jpg

DSC_0319.jpg

DSC_0320.jpg

DSC_0322.jpg

rio_cyber

pull the pin out, unbolt the mount , replace with one from scrape yard, gts, gt .... they all the same afaik :shrug: :)

brutekiller787

grrrr, i don't check the site for 3 weeks and this happens. damn looks almost exactly like my car, except most of the stuff on your to do list is already done :). congrats finding another seemingly rust free examples of these cars. good luck with the build. any hp goals or will this just be a fun daily?

ZeroDrift

Thanks for the compliments!

No set HP goals just yet, as I'm going to take care of all the 'prep work' first. I've got another CT26 turbo that I am going to have overhauled, but am unsure if I want to up-size the compressor wheel for more power. What does everyone think of a healthy CT26 combined with a full 3" exhaust can net?

ZeroDrift

Well, some of the audio components have started to arrive. Probably should start on the sub enclosure since it will take some time.

Another batch of parts arrived the other day. Red LED replacements for the gauge cluster and hvac system. While I'm replacing the hvac lights I will be attempting to repair the heater controller mechanism as well. Should have some before and after pictures if time permits!

ZeroDrift

Pressing issue just developed with the passenger door electronics. Thinking the door lock actuator has failed, and possibly the window regulator. The whole inner door smells like burnt electronics. Time to start sleuthing around the rest of the electrical system to make sure things are working properly.

Anyone have a good online source for new OEM parts, or possibly even used good condition parts?

ZeroDrift

Since I'm about to do a road trip I've decided to rush this at a sub-par level of work. All the wire routing that I'm about to do will be re-done once I return from my trip. Pictures of the components being installed in the car will wait till I'm tearing everything apart to be re-done. I hate doing things this way, but a fast approaching deadline leaves little choice.

In the meantime here are a few pictures of the front enclosures completed.

DSC_0381.jpg

DSC_0383.jpg

DSC_0384.jpg

DSC_0385.jpg

I am considering filling the blank woofer cone with epoxy to make it a solid unit. Going to test it this way first though.

ZeroDrift

Here is the progress for today. Once I have everything in place I will be re-making the mounting setup to be as light as possible. No reason to have a bunch of extra weight if you don't have to.

Whats left:
  • Pick up my riv-nut insert tool and mount the brackets to keep the assembly in place.
  • Attatch speaker wires to amp.
  • Install grommet in firewall after rust proofing, then route power wire.
  • Make a false floor to keep everything hidden and protected.

DSC_0358.jpg

DSC_0356.jpg

DSC_0354-1.jpg

DSC_0361.jpg

And here is a picture of the amp's guts.
DSC_0352-1.jpg

ZeroDrift

Well after a full day of driving I have another odd issue that started. When filling with gas the car will overflow a few moments after I pull out the gas pump. Not sure of all the details on the fuel tanks on these cars, but the tank was recently overhauled. Perhaps it's time to open it up and do some work again. Sigh, another item on my to do list...