Block Girdle brace????

monkracing29

has anyone every seen this this seen i think is kinda crazy looking i was on 3senginebuilders website and found this picture how exactly does it work it kind of looks like the main bearings are gone?? or does it have a bearing inside of it??
DSCN3418.jpg

klue

I've got one. The main caps are still there. You replace the main cap bolts with arp studs, then put the brace on and tighten the nuts to the brace, unifying the whole assembly.

underscore

Is there a specific weakness this takes care of? It's probably overkill for my needs but that sounds pretty badass.

klue

its a general weakness of the block. If you look at other high output engines like the 4g63, the mains are grouped together for strength. Some engines have this feature build right into the casting

krazy2

Alloy racing components builds girdles and just about anything you need. Based in Australia. These were built for a friend of mine.

Girdle
24092009132.jpg

Pan
24092009134.jpg

Mains
24092009136.jpg

and even throttle bodies and cam gears.
3SG_FRONT_WHEEL_DRIVE_012.jpg

krazy2

To each his own is true, it mainly depends on the horse power ur trying to achive and what ur using the power for.

klue

pretty sweet shit there krazy2

Im tracking so the point is to over kill
block needs all the strength it can get, keeping in mind with solid mounts, hard ass suspension, and r comp tires we are dealing with more than just reciprocating stress, but actual g forces trying to rip the block in half.

underscore

I'm only aiming for 300AWHP & maximum handling with solid mounts for everything for this build, but my car will be extensively autocrossed, King of the Hill'd and dragged, as well as some real track time in the future.

For those needs, do you guys think this is overkill?

klue

Don;t base your decision on what we think.
For less than 200 bucks I think you could spend your money on worse parts...

Keep in mind by using this block girdle your adding oil capacity.

Klas

Don´t forget that you will have to weld the oilpan if you use a girdle. (to clear the rear main studs)
You also will have to make an extension for the oil pickup. (don´t remember if it nessesery, I did it anyway).

klue

Klas":3kf2x7f9 said:
Don´t forget that you will have to weld the oilpan if you use a girdle. (to clear the rear main studs)
You also will have to make an extension for the oil pickup. (don´t remember if it nessesery, I did it anyway).

good point, the girdle I have came with a oil pick up extension. And yes unless you have a moroso pan you need to kick out for the studs closest to the rear main seal

underscore

klue":2jk6thjv said:
Don;t base your decision on what we think.
For less than 200 bucks I think you could spend your money on worse parts...

Keep in mind by using this block girdle your adding oil capacity.

$200 doesn't seem too bad, but then from the sounds of it I need the Moroso pan + customizing to clear the brace. I'm asking you guys because I still have very little experience when it comes to performance vehicles and the STxx5 in general.

klue

you dont need a moroso pan. I've modified lots of stock oil pans to clear the studs. Basically the section you cut out you can flip it around and weld it back in to have enough clearance.