Forum Idle Logout time

WarTowels

I find myself getting constantly logged out do to what I think are really short periods of being idle.

I've been logged out several times while writing detailed posts. I write and write and go to post, and oh no, I've been on the same page for 3 minutes better log me out. =)

I assume there is a setting within phpBB where you can set the idle time before logout, can we increase that? Or better yet, it should be based on your session (cookie). If my window is open and I'm logged in, don't log me out until I either logout myself (which is never) or log me out when I close the browser- ideally.

-Towels

pwadm

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Towels,

The current timout is set to 1 hour. We can increase the value, but what would really fix your problem is checking the 'Log me on automatically each visit' checkbox on the login screen when you type your name/password.

The software would automatically log you in, even if you are in the middle of writing a post. I use this option, and I am logged in for days. This functionality is based on a persistent cookie saved in your browser. You wouldn't want to use on a public terminal, but it can be very useful on your own PC.

athousandleaves

I've noticed this too; what was the previous logout time?

I do keep the autologin checked but it's a little scary when you've gone to make a post and it asks you to login again.

I've also been getting an "internal server error 500" quite a bit recently and have made it a habit to copy my entire post to the clipboard before hitting submit. In fact, I just saved this post from that error !!! @_@

pwadm

Administrator
Staff member
The idle time was always set to 1 hour. I will investigate the 500 error...need to look into the logs.

CMS-GT4

Mine logs out on the computer every time I check the forum on my phone. I check always log me in each time. The phone stays logged in however.

WarTowels

Hmmm. I don't have the auto login checked, that's never seemed to work for me.

I'm using a private terminal and I'm definitely not writing for an hour. So I'm not sure what's going on.

If I spend upwards of 5 minutes writing a post, I more often than not get asked to log back in and then usually I can force the browser to go back and get my post, but I've lost several as well.

-Towels

pwadm

Administrator
Staff member
The problem may be related to your ISP changing the IP from which your computer makes requests. The forum software validates the session based on the IP, and if the request comes from a different one it invalidates the session.

Since it may be the root of your session timeout problems, I disabled the feature. Lets see if it helps.

WarTowels

My IP should be staying relatively the same. I do clear all cookies on browser exit though, so that might have something to do with it if cookies are involved. But that would only relate the auto login.

I'm not sure why mid writing posts I get logged out. I'll report back and see if anything has changed now.

-Towels

toayoztan

To somewhat be ontopic, I now hit ctrl+A (to highlight all) and ctrl+c to copy, before submitting a large post...just in case :D

If something goes awry, I just make a new post, then paste it.

Bryan

pwadm

Administrator
Staff member
We haven't changed the settings in a long time. Do you check the autologin option when you login?

MWP

CMS-GT4":txullxvt said:
Is there any reason this might be an issue anymore? I get logged out all the time now.

Yup, same here (using Chrome).
I pretty much have to re-login every time.

Although i'm wondering if it has something to do with also having the forum open in a tab on my phone (Chrome on Android).

pwadm

Administrator
Staff member
I am not sure if having sessions in two Chrome browsers at the same time would log you out. I tried doing it with two different browsers (Chrome, Firefox) and the session was maintained on both. Chrome allows you to login to the browser, which then synchronizes some settings (sessions?) - maybe try login to Chrome and see if that helps.

I checked again, and all settings that would restrict the 'autologin' in some ways are turned off. If your ISP changes your IP address for example you should still remain logged in. The only thing that would log you out is a removal of a browser cookie, but this can only be done manually by going to Chrome options. Puzzling...