Front Drivetrain Noise: Video !

Corey

I was thinking motor mounts aswell.

Wheel bearing feels good - no wheel play vertically and I've had a stethoscope on it while the car is airborn, no noise that I can hear.

I removed the left side tranny mount last night and inspected it - one tear on either side, but its not catastrophic and still appears intact.

But what does concern me are my solid poly front and rear mounts.

Inspecting the front mount, it appears that the vibrating engine has caused the through-bolt to rub and wear on the through-bolt holes, enlarging them in the up/down direction. I can actually see the hole above and below the flange of the bolt head.

I checked the torque on that bolt the other night, and it was good - but noise is still there. I haven't been able to check the rear yet because its tough to access, but I don't see the same kind of wear that I'm seeing in the front.

I'll snap a picture next chance I get.

I'm still trying to record some audio of this noise, but my phone can't seem to pick it up.

saved_1992

how much movement is in the inner cv joints ? when you put grease in the one and added a metal clamp how much grease was still in there? iv seen inner cv joints make similair noises under load. with the car still having weight on the frt wheels see if the inner axles have play up and down. good luck

Corey

I've looked at the axles a few times this week and I think the play is coming from the axle stub in the transmission, and not the inner joint itself.

I can slide the stub in and out of the transmission by ~5mm, and from what I've read, this is fairly normal.

What I'm not sure of is how much play the stub should have in the radial direction. I can wiggle the stub up/down, forward and aft a couple mm.

I've read a few posts on many forums stating that lateral play is to be expected as well.

As for the inner joint itself - I can't seem to find any play with my hands. It may be a problem that I just cant get enough force on it by hand to tell.

I was only watching the tech add the extra grease to the boot, so I couldn't really tell how much was in there before hand. But if it was low, I'd imagine any damage already present wouldn't be fixed by adding more grease :(

Thanks everyone! keep em coming

tubasteve

gearhead313":2spmvwae said:
If it was a wheel bearing, then you'd be able to lift the car off the ground and feel play in the wheel as you wiggled it back and forth and up and down... have you verified that was all tight?

The only other thing im thinking is a motor mount is bad and letting the motor/trans touch somewhere making the vibe. Does anything clunk when you change gears up or down? When you reverse the car from a stop? Tough to internet diagnose something!

The play won't be there 100% of the time...but I tried.

PS, mine didn't have play, but had noise you speak of. Unless hot.

gearhead313

So you can pull the transmisson output flange stub (that the axle bolts to) in and out of the trans 5mm? That sounds like a lot to me. That stub is secured with your standared issue wire c clip like any "half shaft" and shouldnt move more than 1-2mm IMO. I would pull that out and take a look at it if i were you.

And if you have poly mounts.....! Well im surprised your teeth are still in your mouth! hehe The amount of vibration transfer is quite a bit more than stock and I would guess thats part of the issue, especially if you say that the one may have been moving around on you. Sounds promising...

Corey

Yeah I guess I've become used to the vibration - there is quite a lot though. Any little rattle in the interior is magnified.

I think I'll buy some new oem mounts.

Had to postpone Audi inspection till today. Will see what they say about the drivetrain.

Thanks

Corey

Well. Audi techs have found noise from front Right wheel bearing. Other 3 sound fine.

So they suggested that I start there.

Corey

Now having been made aware that I have a bad bearing - I can attribute it to a different noise I've noticed on the right side recently. It sounds like a dog box but only when cold.

But sadly, that means I don't think its the cause of THE noise because I can hear both at the same time.

Also, false alarm on the front motor mount bracket holes. I checked some pictures I snapped years ago when I installed the new poly mounts, and the holes are indeed not circular. So I think I can rule out the mounts, but just in case, I bought a cheap Lordco replacement mount for the front, I'll get that a try when I get a chance to see if it makes any difference.

Corey

Ordered new hubs, non-abs knuckles, non-abs front driveshafts, and bearing kits.

Will install in a week when I have some time off.

If all that doesn't fix it.....

tubasteve

Funny almost...like the issue i had with my door checker.everyone told me it was the seat belt, and it was.

How much did Audi charge/rape you?

Corey

I'm in Winnipeg for the next 10 days so I'll get it swapped out when i get back.

1stToyota says that the complete driveshafts, both abs and non abs are discontinued :( Guess I'll try some remans and get these old ones rebuilt.

Corey

I wonder if toyota still stock them.

I found some Cardone remans. One in Vancouver, one in Calgary. 170$ each.

All my parts should be here Wednesday. I just bought some SKF/NSK bearings.

Hope it's worth it.

Corey

Yeah, but it's half the cost of new OEM shafts from 1sttoyota, which were discontinued anyway :(

Unfortunately, even the best price I could find for the reman shafts was about 140 including the core charge.