Noob fuel questions

celigts

So changed out my fuel filter and it had horrible rust in the fuel as I was told.

So he suggested I get my injectors sonic cleaned and have the fuel tank sock changed.

Is this all necessary or is there a way to clean the injectors with an additive and is it a PITA to change the sock? If there is one.

Edit. I'd also like to know if and what good minor upgraded injectors I could get and for what price if replacing them is the best method and cheapest

underscore

rust in the fuel? personally I'd be dropping the tank and cleaning it out, flushing out the lines and rail, replacing the filter and getting the injectors cleaned.

4rsnduction

underscore":ysv8l8id said:
rust in the fuel? personally I'd be dropping the tank and cleaning it out, flushing out the lines and rail, replacing the filter and getting the injectors cleaned.
Sounds like you just listed everything involving the fuel system from one end of the car to the other :p
I agree with underscore, if there is actually rust in your system you remove absolutely everything and clean/replace it.

celigts":ysv8l8id said:
So he suggested I get my injectors sonic cleaned and have the fuel tank sock changed.
Is this all necessary or is there a way to clean the injectors with an additive and is it a PITA to change the sock? If there is one.
There is no such additive ....you just made it up :nono:
Rust is still metal, its just been oxidized.... so how can you introduce a metal eating liquid into your fuel tank and not fuck the rest of your car up.
This isn't the type of thing you want to cheap out on or take a half assed approach just because its a big job.

celigts":ysv8l8id said:
I'd also like to know if and what good minor upgraded injectors I could get and for what price if replacing them is the best method and cheapest
Dont put in larger injectors unless u have a computer to control them, stock injectors are good for 350hp

celigts

Haha guys I knew pretty well there wouldn't be a liquid to eat the rust away. Worth asking tho ;)

So if the injectors are good till about 350hp then are jdm and usdm the same ones? Cuz I've got a rail and injectors from my old motor I could get cleaned and swap into this motor.

As for the fuel tank... How would I go about cleaning that? Would I have to open the hole in the hatch and unplug something or would the bgb tell me what to do?

underscore

get your old injectors and rail cleaned and balanced, while that's being done drop the tank and clean it out, and run some fuel through the send/return lines to the engine bay til clean fuel is all that comes out.

4rsnduction

Compared to most new passenger cars the fuel tank in the celica is heaps easy to remove, its located under the car at the rear end.
I have never removed the fuel tank myself so im not 100% sure how to do it, but while installing the fuel tank aluminium bash plate i could see 3 metal style straps holding the tank to the chassis. It should be a simple process, just remember to have the fuel pump/filter assembly removed from the tank before you drop the tank, access to that is under the boot carpet...next to the spare wheel.....

My 2cents,
Get a shop to do the work, make sure you trust the people doing the work on your car......alot of mechanics are shit heads who just fuck things up, do quickie patch repairs and 2 weeks later something breaks while your driving :bangshead:

celigts

That's good to hear it shouldn't be to much work to remove the tank!

Talked to my very trust worthy mechanic and he said it should be around 4hrs labour to remove the tank and diagnose if it has lots of surface rust in the tank or what is causing the rusty fuel.

He will be selling me his walbro for $60. I'll be having my old injectors sonic cleaned for around $100.

He suggested I replace my relay switch for the fuel pump and I'm wondering where I can get one and what cost I'm looking at.

dustinbart

If youve got the money do it....but if you dont deff try seafoam. I had an alltrac that sat for 7years which had nasty rusty smelly gas and i was down on my chips at the time, i drained it put new gas in and it would start but it didnt want to move anywhere stalling out when i gave it gas. I changed the fuel filter filled my tank and used seafoam
For my next three fill ups and all my problems slowly went away (took about 2-3 weeks). Now im boosting at 17psi and running down sti's. Seafoam works from my experience just give it time....but like i said if i had the money i would have done whats been mentioned above maybe i lucked out?

celigts

Well see that's my problem is I can afford it but I have other things I need done to like my rear end links, full suspension( shocks are all shot ), and now I'm seeing oil coming out of the manifold so I've got problems all around.

I have heard of more then one story of seafoam working magic like this so I think I will do that. Cuz estimated the tank removal an repair to be around $400 do in the near futur I'll have that done. I'm gonna proceed and have the injectors cleaned and rail as well.

Any other fuel related parts I should look into?

Would it be wise to change my fuel filter in a month or too as well to make sure after cleaning all the stuff out to keep it cleaner with a new filter?

C-dubb

4rsnduction":2yu1jfip said:
underscore":2yu1jfip said:
Sounds like you just listed everything involving the fuel system from one end of the car to the other :p
I agree with underscore, if there is actually rust in your system you remove absolutely everything and clean/replace it.

celigts":2yu1jfip said:
There is no such additive ....you just made it up :nono:
Rust is still metal, its just been oxidized.... so how can you introduce a metal eating liquid into your fuel tank and not f*** the rest of your car up.
This isn't the type of thing you want to cheap out on or take a half assed approach just because its a big job.

celigts":2yu1jfip said:
I'd also like to know if and what good minor upgraded injectors I could get and for what price if replacing them is the best method and cheapest
Dont put in larger injectors unless u have a computer to control them, stock injectors are good for 350hp

At the crank or wheels? At what duty cycle, and at a safe AFR, at WOT? And in what world?