carbon fiber radiator shroud any interest

temperacerguy

OK, looks like I will be making these.

Let me finish a couple projects first, and I will start gathering items. (peal ply, infusion cloth, tack tape, resin, carbon fiber. etc)

I'm only going to make 10 of these, then I am going to ditch the mold. I don't have the space to store molds, so keep on the look-out for them.

The plan is to make this 5 layers thick. 2 layers of carbon fiber, then 3 layers of glass cloth. this will leave it at aprox. 1mm thick. I'm going to vacuum infuse these, which is a technique used for structural parts... It's total overkill for something like this, but if you're going to do something, you need to do it right.

It's going to follow the factory shape/contours. I will offer it in two styles. one with all the cutouts cutout, and one with the outline cutout, and you can cut out the holes you want on your own.

temperacerguy

I won't take payment till they are done. I really don't like "owing" anyone... puts too much stress on me. LOL

Once the mold is made (the part that takes time) It takes 24 hours to crank out each one. (an hour laying everything in the mold and infusing the resin, and 23 hours sitting in the mold) I just don't want to invest more than a couple weeks on this project, which is why I am capping it at 10.

I'll mold 10, then offer them to the group. If you want everything cut out, I'll cut them out. Otherwise I'll leave it only with the outline trimmed.

If you want to see how these are going to be made, there's a cool video that shows the easy part (infusing the resin) It doesn't show the hours and hours and hours of making the plug, then the mold :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VodfQcrXpxc

underscore

count me in as well

1) underscore
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

wait list (if someone backs out)
1)
2)
3)
4)

temperacerguy

Wow,

ok, well I am shocked that there's a list going. LOL

I'll start working on this in my free-time. I have two shrouds here. I will will start modifying one of them into a plug for the mold. This involves solidly mounting it and reinforcing on the back side. then start to work on the surface to remove the texture and make it smooth as a baby's bottom...

So I guess if you're serious about getting one in a couple months... add your names to the list, and hopefully we will be at 10 when I am ready to start production.

xxgts1

Bam!

1) underscore
2) rafacalde
3)spectra1
4)ALLensTRAC
5)xxgts1
6)
7)
9)
10)

1)
2)
3)
4)

dragstang86

1) underscore
2) rafacalde
3)spectra1
4)ALLensTRAC
5)xxgts1
6)dragstang86
7)GT4RC
9)
10)

1)
2)
3)
4)

Spectra1

1) underscore
2) rafacalde
3)spectra1
4)ALLensTRAC
5)xxgts1
6)dragstang86
7)GT4RC
8.celigts
9)
10)

1)
2)
3)
4)

temperacerguy

OK... since there seems to be such a demand for these, I am going to increase the number made to 15.... but really, this isn't some marketing ploy, I just can't devote any more time than to make those...

1) underscore
2) rafacalde
3)spectra1
4)ALLensTRAC
5)xxgts1
6)dragstang86
7)GT4RC
8.celigts
9) Nitro_Alltrac (from celicatech)
10) PintoBC_5sfte (from celicatech)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)

temperacerguy

OK, well now that things are getting serious about this, I've started to do the cost analysis...

The price "MAY" have to go up a tad... The non-blushing, UV stabilized infusion resin I want to use is damn expensive at over $220 per gallon with hardener. so we may be at $90 per unit.

So, if that $15 difference is gonna kill you, no ill feelings pulling you off the list.

see.... this is why I don't take payment up front. LOL